Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

How many pounds

Do you typically gain during a 1 week Disney vacation?

Do you find that you are doing a lot of walking, swimming, running around in the heat that you lose weight?

Or do you find that you eat a lot more because it's vacation and come home to an unpleasant surprise on the scale?

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post

Do you find that you are doing a lot of walking, swimming, running around in the heat that you lose weight?

Or do you find that you eat a lot more because it's vacation and come home to an unpleasant surprise on the scale?
We typically lose weight... We're not foodies, rarely eat sit down meals... Can't stand them or the price... especially in the Florida heat...

We eat at WDW no different than we do at home... We enjoy a good breakfast... Hardly eat lunch but when we do its a sandwich we made with grocery items picked up in route... and dinner can be any food court meal easily shared ..
So that and walking 5-8 miles a day ( pedometer readings) we lose weight!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
dis_guy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post

As anyone who has gone to WDW knows, there are plenty of opportunities to over indulge. DW and I had been eating paleo for a few months before our last trip. While challenging to do, we managed to stick to the plan reasonably well while at WDW and only gained about 2 pounds, or so, each. Yeah there's lots of walking but it doesn't make as much difference as you'd think.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

We have the DP and i know I am at least doubling my cals per day as I eat alot of calorie dense crap (hello cupcakes) but it must be the walking and heat as I never gained.
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

Though I must add compared to other vacations i drink ALOT less beer and wine. Either its not aval. (MK) or just too damn expensive
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
lajspeech
Mouseketeer

At least 5lb each. The food is half the fun for us!

6/91 CR (Land/Sea), 5/95 offsite (Magic Music Days), 5/97 offsite (Magic Music Days), 5/99 CBR (1st trip w/ DH), 8/03 AKL (Engagement!), 6/05 AKL (Honeymoon!), 7/07 Condo, 4/08 offsite (Grand Gathering/P&PP), 12/08 CBR (MVMCP!), 6/09 AS-Sport (DH's 30th Bday!), 1/10 Condo (Marathon Cheerleader/My 30th Bday!), 6/10 Condo (Pregnant!), 10/10 POP (very pregnant!/MNSSHP), 6/11 AS-Sport (Baby's 1st Trip!), 6/12 AoA Nemo Suite, 2/13 AoA Nemo suite (pregnant AGAIN), 11/13 condo (Thanksgiving mini trip/Baby#2's first trip!), 8/14 condo (Mommy-daughter "Frozen Summer" mini trip), 10/14 CBR (F&W/PFTS/MNSSHP). UP NEXT: 4/15 Condo (10 year anniversary trip!)
lajspeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
LisaCM614
Mouseketeer

We don't do the DP so we don't eat dessert too much although we do tend to enjoy at least one Mickey Bar a day.
I have never noticed a change in the scale when I come home. But our trips are usually 6 days or less. I think if I were there for 2 weeks the pudge might begin to show!
LisaCM614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan73 View Post
Though I must add compared to other vacations i drink ALOT less beer and wine. Either its not aval. (MK) or just too damn expensive
We go the opposite... Drink more beer than water, throw in a 3 liter jug of wine and a fifth of Hack Daniels Ali g with the beer.... Always having a cocktail during pool time... But we pick up our booze in route... Disney prices are outrageous !!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

Last trip we gained 5-7lbs but we had a lot of ADRs & F&W LOL

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on WDW Trash cans & custodial show at Tokyo DL!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

When we do the dining plan I usually gain around 8lbs. Eating more than usual & I'm usually swollen after the 7 hour drive home.
I usually do a liquid fast the day after we get home (lots of water, juice, protein shakes) & that gets rid of almost all the gain in one day.

Book Challenge Goal 86/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
married2mm
DIS Veteran

I 've actually lost weight on our last few trips with qsdp-14 and 15 nights.

Looking forward to augusts trip of 17 nights,for the weight loss alone
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
When we do the dining plan I usually gain around 8lbs. Eating more than usual & I'm usually swollen after the 7 hour drive home.
I usually do a liquid fast the day after we get home (lots of water, juice, protein shakes) & that gets rid of almost all the gain in one day.
I need this now!!

Please share what's in your juice and protein shakes.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We don't gain weight while vacationing at WDW. We still mind what we eat, but do allow splurges. We just don't make over-eating an every day thing while on vacation. With all the walking we do at WDW our occasional splurge gets balanced out by more exercise.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
melissafox18
DIS Veteran

I stayed steady last time. That was with DDP and being very full the entire trip (and too many desserts!) We averaged about 10 miles every day. I would guess without DDP and eating based on hunger, I'd lose weight.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

A few tips in this regard....

With one breakfast in-room in the morning, we generally have only one more substantive meal the entire day. We rarely do a "big" lunch AND dinner. That helps a lot. As a family, we've essentially eliminated sodas from the repertoire, and that helps, too. If you hit each day thinking you'll only have two meals, and couple that with LOTS of walking, and you're starting out ahead of the game.

All that said, and after having lost 68 lbs over the last 12-16 months, I have already decided that I'm going to enjoy my vacation and some good "cheating" indulgences over the next week, then go back to the normal drill back home. If day-to-day is balance leaning toward caution, I think the key is balance leaning toward mild indulgence on a vacation.

Among the biggest cheats I'll enjoy are a share of a Ghirardelli's hot fudge sundae (split four ways), and fish and chips at Yorkshire. Not going to worry about the calories either place.

Have a great trip.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: