Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #61
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccllap View Post
Aubriee...I know I'll never meet you in person, but I just have to tell you, I adore you. You are EXACTLY the kind of person the world needs more of!!

Thank you for BEING the magic!

Thank you. My rather long winded point though, was that sometimes the chance to improve someone's day just falls in your lap. Don't let the opportunity to brighten someone's day escape you. Not only will their day be just a little brighter for the surprise you give them, but so will yours, just for the simple joy of giving and seeing the happiness on their face. It may sound a little selfish, but I really, really enjoy the surprise and joy on people's faces, when they are given something unexpectedly. It brightens not only their day, but the giver's.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #62
Lizzim
Mouseketeer

This whole thread makes me sad (Not the original post which was so sweet...but the reaction to the possibility that it might reoccur in the future!)

Why does every interaction we have with people need to be scrutinised to such a degree now?

There will always be bad people in the world....but when we assume that everyone is bad....what hope is left?
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #63
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

I think it's very sweet! If your DD just watches to see their mood or see how shy they are or how the parent react I don't see a problem!

My DD is 16 now but I remember when she was 8 dressed as Jasmine & a family asked if they could take a pic with her ( we happened to be in Morroco) I could tell they had no ill intentions so I agreed & DD was thrilled, she still talks about it..

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & BWI Sept 8-15, 2013
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #64
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
This whole thread makes me sad (Not the original post which was so sweet...but the reaction to the possibility that it might reoccur in the future!)

Why does every interaction we have with people need to be scrutinised to such a degree now?

There will always be bad people in the world....but when we assume that everyone is bad....what hope is left?
This really makes you sad?

You really have to look at this from both directions. Yes, maybe some people scrutinize others/strangers way too much.

But, when these spontaneous little moments turn into planned events, that's carrying it a bit too far too.

I remember reading about the Dis fan who got a kick out of the CM's appreciation when they thanked them for something. So then it turned into going to guest services to leave a compliment for certain CM's. Then it turned into printing up cards of appreciation and going around handing them to every CM that smiled at them. That lead to carrying around tons of 'goodie bags' with trinkets and homemade baked goods to give to CM's who looked in their direction.

Little spontaneous 'pixie dust' moments are great for everyone. Dis visitors trying to PLAN these moments seems a bit over the top to me.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #65
Lolsmum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
I'm not ripping, I'm agreeing. The overreaction of parents to have me snap a photo of their child with a character means I don't get to have pictures of characters because a child might in that photo.

But, if I take a photo of kids dancing around in the Off Kilter area, no one says anything. Or, if I take a photo of the crowd at Star Wars Weekend and their child is in that, no one says anything.

Parents, you do understand that if your child is in ANY photo, there are so many applications out there to enhance that image should that person really want to do it? Your child doesn't have to pose for any photo, their images are out there. How many of you have your kids on your profile right here? You know those can be copied and quite easily.

Yes, there are pervs out there, no question about it. But come on, if you are a parent, wouldn't you feel that vibe?
The bolded portion is such a dangerous idea. No, generally the parents do not feel that vibe, or there wouldn't be so many cases of molestation and abuse.

As for the OP, I think it's sweet when it's an unplanned, natural interaction. I know my 5 year old loved being called "Princess" by some other guests while dressed as Aurora, but I would have felt uncomfortable had any of those guests suggested a photo with her. Yes, I know photos can be enhanced, etc. but it's different to actually encourage a young child to pose with a stranger in my opinion.
Lolsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #66
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post

You really have to look at this from both directions. Yes, maybe some people scrutinize others/strangers way too much.

But, when these spontaneous little moments turn into planned events, that's carrying it a bit too far too.
I remember reading about the Dis fan who got a kick out of the CM's appreciation when they thanked them for something. So then it turned into going to guest services to leave a compliment for certain CM's. Then it turned into printing up cards of appreciation and going around handing them to every CM that smiled at them. That lead to carrying around tons of 'goodie bags' with trinkets and homemade baked goods to give to CM's who looked in their direction.

Little spontaneous 'pixie dust' moments are great for everyone. Dis visitors trying to PLAN these moments seems a bit over the top to me.
The OP already said these wouldn't be "planned" moments. That her daughter wouldn't be seeking out princesses. I think that's been so missed by everyone. It would be off the cuff. It would be just sensing things. It's not like this teenage girl is entering Disney World with autograph book in hand searching for little girls in princess dresses.

Sorry to all the parents out there who might deny their children an extra special moment because a stranger, in the total view of said parent, would actually want to say something to that child. In total view of the parent. While the child is with the parent. While the parent is in control of the child.
disnut8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #67
tinkermama117
Mouseketeer

OP, I just have to say your DD is amazing. Many teens I know can be very egocentric. How nice of her to want to spread a little pixie dust to these little princesses on their special day.

I remember on my DD's BBB day, some of the CMs bowed to her and said hello princess. I can only imagine how she would have felt if someone asked for her autograph. She'd been over the moon.

I do agree about no pics but you already stated that she wouldn't do it.

Congrats mama, you have a good egg there!
1998- First Visit: off property,1999: off property, 2000: off property, 2001: off property, 2002: Land and Sea, All Star Music and Disney Wonder, 2003: Caribbean Beach Resort, 2006: Port Orleans Riverside, 2007: Off property but...then became DVC Members!!! 2008: Saratoga Springs, 2009: Saratoga Springs, 2010 (spring) Boardwalk Villas, 2010 (New Years) Saratoga Springs July 29- Aug 1 2012: BLT, Aug1-Aug 5 Disney Dream, Aug 5- Aug 11: BCV, Summer 2013:AKL and Vero Beach Split, Marathon Weekend-OKW, Summer 2014-SSR/Vero Split, Wine and Dine Weekend, Disney Magic Feb 15
tinkermama117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #68
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
The OP already said these wouldn't be "planned" moments. That her daughter wouldn't be seeking out princesses. It would be off the cuff. I think that's been so missed by everyone.
LOL, missed by everyone?

The OP's daughter did this once. The OP's daughter has plans to go back to WDW and do this exact same thing some more. Just what is 'unplanned' and 'off the cuff' about this?

Nothing has been 'missed by everyone'.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #69
BlackMagicWoman
Mouseketeer

I think that is very sweet even if it is planned. My daughter would have been thrilled. I think it is magical - planned or not.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #70
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Nobody should go to far, but there is nothing wrong with planning to do little kindnesses the next trip. This fine young lady asked her Dad if she could do that in the future. It is wise to ask, and it is planning.

I have a whole thread asking people for ideas on how to be kind and share the magic. That is planning. Some people, like the article I linked in the other thread, Share the Magic, plan to be kind. That isn't wrong. It just doesn't need to go overboard.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #71
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Parents too sensitive? People too forward?

Some have expressed they wouldn't have any problem with photos, autographs, or interactions. some are fine with autographs but not photos, others don't like photo's or autographs. Are some right and some wrong. No.

I think the most important aspect of this subject is that we respect the parents wishes. They are the parents. They may be concerned for a reason other than you. It doesn't matter why, whatever they decide is ok by me, they are the parents.

If I ask to say something to their child, or give them a balloon, or whatever, and they decline, I'll smile and say have a nice day and walk away. It is their vacation, their experience, and they get to set the parameters of that experience.

I won't feel bad for asking, and I won't frown at them. Their choice and I respect that.

2014 November - ?

Last edited by Yellowstonetim; 06-05-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #72
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Lolsmum;48596819]The bolded portion is such a dangerous idea. No, generally the parents do not feel that vibe, or there wouldn't be so many cases of molestation and abuse. QUOTE]

Absolutely right! You cannot see whether someone is a pedophile. Someone that acts or looks weird, may be innocent and the most wonderful seeming individual may be an abuser. In fact some abusers make a point to be the nicest people around to get people to lower defenses!" I had a coworker that is going to jail for 12 years due to abuse and I would never have guessed. Seemed like the nicest person!

I'm a nice guy, I would never harm any child in any way. But how do you really know that? You don't. And even if you could see my heart and know it is sincere, you still, as a parent of children, should have boundaries for your children's interaction with others, no matter who it is!

In fact, the great majority of abused children are abused by someone they know! How very sad but true. So when someone looks at me with doubts or wants to limit their children's interaction, I don't get upset. I know me but they don't. They SHOULD be careful!

I interact with young children of friends that are almost family. They still have wise boundaries, and if they didn't, I would anyway. I have a blast with these kids but I would refuse to take them somewhere by myself unless it was an emergency. It is always with my wife, even though they are close friends. It is just wise. I don't want any doubts or even the appearance of evil.

Trust, love, be friendly, and even allow interactions, but set wise boundaries and respect the boundaries of other parents.

2014 November - ?
Old 06-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #73
mom of princessx2
DIS Veteran

This happened a few years back when oldest dd was 5. They were both dressed as princesses but dd5 was Belle and we were on the bridge from UK to France at Epcot and someone asked her for her picture and autograph. She beamed and it made her night. She wouldn't leave that spot just in case someone else was looking for Belle! I would love it and would hope my girls get to do this for little princesses when they get older.

ME DH DD9 DD6
mom of princessx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #74
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
LOL, missed by everyone?

The OP's daughter did this once. The OP's daughter has plans to go back to WDW and do this exact same thing some more. Just what is 'unplanned' and 'off the cuff' about this?

Nothing has been 'missed by everyone'.
From the OP -

"In hindsight, I should have explained that we will not be spending our time in Disney running around looking for Little Princesses! It will be more of a chance encounter, rather than a "random approach". I would never allow my daughter to just walk down main street and stop every princess that walks by, or otherwise interfere with their plans/schedule/day. (this is what the "survey takers" at the other park are for!!!!)"
disnut8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #75
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenursebrandy View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. It has been an interesting conversation. For the record...in my OP I should have worded it a bit differently.

In hindsight, I should have explained that we will not be spending our time in Disney running around looking for Little Princesses! It will be more of a chance encounter, rather than a "random approach". I would never allow my daughter to just walk down main street and stop every princess that walks by, or otherwise interfere with their plans/schedule/day. (this is what the "survey takers" at the other park are for!!!!)

If she does this in the future, it will be as it was before, a mutual encounter....with NO pictures, unless the princess' parent requests one!
Thanks for such an interesting original question to start this thread! It gets a little boring reading and commenting on FP windows, bus etiquette, ECV's, FP+, the new Fantasyland, etc...

Dan
POP, September 2011, 9 days Very Fun, Hot!
POP, September 2010, 8 days Magical!!!
DisneyFive is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: