Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
the_bUg
Mouseketeer

Eastern Caribbean Cruise - How do customs work?

I'm curious to know how US customs clearance goes on the eastern caribbean itinerary A (St. Maarten, St. Thomas/St. John, CC).

How I presume it works is, Because the last ports of call are US destinations (ie: St. Thomas/St. John, and CC), you are not required to clear US customs upon return to P.C.... Or are you?

I'm pretty sure no one likes clearing customs, and I'd prefer to do it as infrequently as possible. Am I correct in my assumption, or are you still required to clear upon return? Thanks.
the_bUg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
FrogMBA
Mouseketeer

On my trip in March our ports of call were CC Key West and Port Canaveral for a day at Disney. We Still had to clear customs but is was so simple. Was the first time I had ever done it. Customs officer looked at the form and said have a good day.
FrogMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Castaway Cay is not a US destination - it's in the Bahamas. Owned by DCL, yes, but not US.

The ship and all passengers need to clear Customs upon return to the US on any cruise with at least 1 foreign port - and all "closed loop" cruises are required to have at least 1 foreign port. It does not matter whether you debarked onto foreign soil or remained onboard the whole cruise. However, Customs at Port Canaveral after our DCL cruise was simple and quick. Just complete the form the night before so you're ready.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
owensjro
DIS Veteran

You used to have to get up 5 or 6am on St Thomas day and clear customs there too. That was fun!

Thank goodness they no longer make you do that.

But yes, you still have to clear customs at PC.

Jim
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 1/17/09
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 12/19/09
Disney Wonder B2B 5N KeyWest/5N DoubleDip - 6/8/10, 6/13/10
Disney Magic 14N TransAtlantic - 5/14/11
Disney Fantasy B2B 7N Eastern/Western - 6/29/13, 7/6/13
Disney Magic 12N Northern Europe - 7/22/15
owensjro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
marlod
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post

The ship and all passengers need to clear Customs upon return to the US on any cruise with at least 1 foreign port - and all "closed loop" cruises are required to have at least 1 foreign port. It does not matter whether you debarked onto foreign soil or remained onboard the whole cruise. However, Customs at Port Canaveral after our DCL cruise was simple and quick. Just complete the form the night before so you're ready.

!
This is true for all non-US flagged ships. Granted there is only one major cruise shop flagged for the US so it is almost always true, but NCL's Pride of America sails under the US flag and is not required to make a stop at an non-US port. It is closed loop (Honolulu) an only makes stops in the Hawaiian islands.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: