Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #76
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post

NO.NO.NO....it my understanding the MC's will bring the kids to there proper muster station.

AKK
Phew that's good to know. I'm not a fretting mom but when they could be in danger - get me to my babies!!! (Lol now I sound like MY mom and I'm in my 40's!)

****** DL Feb/02, DL Feb/07, WDW Nov/13, DCL Nov/13 ******
Next trip WDW Jan 2016 Marathon weekend here I come!
dizzyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #77
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
As in RCI is downplaying or guests are exaggerating?
Neither. Judging by some of the RCL pics, the fire seems to be more against the foward bulkhead, and a little bit more to the starboard side then the port. Theres a couple of tip offs. First, looking at the stern from the port side, you see at the deck 3 level, where there is no smoke around the vent holes,but discoloration, but you can ses where there is a black smoke line beginning at the very foward portside hawse hole, and extending up and aft. That indicates a lot of heat for a prolonged period of time coming from that area or in that immediate area. Theres a similar pattern on the starboard side, but its more pronounced. The aft end of the ship is relatively uniforn with light heat and smoke damage. The other thing that jumps out, is that the windows that failed, on what looks like the deck 5 area, are more to starboard, then port. Especially the smaller windows that meet the larger upper windows. The angle is bad, but if you lok carefully, you can see that there are several more of the smaller windows broken out moving to starboard, then there are the larger. Theres 4 large windows broken, with at least 6 smaller lower windows broken. The first 4 are even with the broken upper, the next 2 continue to starbord. To me, it lloks like either the wind was pushing from port to starboard, or there was more fire load or a longer burn time on the starboard side. Thats just a guess from a couple hundred miles away with pictures from a bad camera angle.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/fire-br...p-slideshow%2F
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #78
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
Sub thread:

I know this comment will probably flare a lot of people up, but after going through some of the Cruise Critic threads, I REALLY love you people! Even when you disagree, you are usually nice people. The same cannot be said of the other cruise line posters...yikes...it sorta reads like a pirana tank to me...

<--group hug

(I experienced the difference too in person. The Disney cruisers were literally the nicest people I've cruised with. (Including nice lady who offered to take our photos and email them back to us after the trip since we didn't have a camera! We responded nicely back by emailing her a $25 Disney voucher.) Everyone was super nice on Castaway, we personally didn't experience anyone hogging chairs or tables etc. (Can't say that about BL, Dad almost got into two 'fights' over people 'saving' chairs -with nothing on them! BL of course excepts tourists from all cruse lines or hotels. Castaway, just Disney family...)

We literally just got off the Dream yesterday and my wife and I both commented about how friendly the other cruisers were on the ship. We would chat with people inthe elevators and when they would leave, most would say "enjoy your vacation" or other friendly comment.

People were friendly all over, and of course the staff was too!

Our first cruise ever, we also booked a second cruise while on board.

Disney World: 1978, 1995, 2010 PORS, 2011 POFQ, 2012 CBR, 2014 PORS

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Dream, May 2013, Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015.
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #79
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

FYI,

The latest from RCCL, is 6 sailings to be cancelled, the next sailing is set for July 12, 2013.

That is 6 weeks, it seems like there is a good deal more internal damage then the photos show.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #80
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

liferafts stored aft.

Hey Truck,

Seems there are some new photos on Criuselaw.com, you know the water born ambulance chaser, showing life rafts, being stored aft, to replace present life rafts. The rafts visible were only partially burned, but there may have been more.

While I do not see these as the start of the fire. The flares and CO2 cylinder used to inflate the rafts maybe the cause of the explosions.

AKK
Old 06-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #81
truck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper
Hey Truck,

Seems there are some new photos on Criuselaw.com, you know the water born ambulance chaser, showing life rafts, being stored aft, to replace present life rafts. The rafts visible were only partially burned, but there may have been more.

While I do not see these as the start of the fire. The flares and CO2 cylinder used to inflate the rafts maybe the cause of the explosions.

AKK
I love the ramblings of those who do not know. I get the popcorn out when i read there page.
I saw the the same pics but on Yahoo. They ones I saw were damaged but not deployed. The difference being that if a co2 cylinder meant to inflate the raft failed it would have taken out most of the canister it was in. Assuming more then 1 failed they wouldn't be sitting neatly in the racks like they are shown. Thered be pieces of plastic and raft all over the back deck. There like bombs going off. Matter of fact we just had a fatal fire on sat.We found smoked broken glass over 100 feet from the fire. We think that the glass got there when the o2 bottled failed and took out the front windows.

One of the other thing I find funny is if they bothered to look into SOLAS regarding life raft/ boat capacity theyed know there's more then enough on 1 side alone to handle everyone. Including crew.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #82
truck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper
FYI,

The latest from RCCL, is 6 sailings to be cancelled, the next sailing is set for July 12, 2013.

That is 6 weeks, it seems like there is a good deal more internal damage then the photos show.

AKK
Could be or they have to make some things from scratch like the winches or rebuild the crew bar that was supposed to be right over the fire.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #83
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
I love the ramblings of those who do not know. I get the popcorn out when i read there page.
I saw the the same pics but on Yahoo. They ones I saw were damaged but not deployed. The difference being that if a co2 cylinder meant to inflate the raft failed it would have taken out most of the canister it was in. Assuming more then 1 failed they wouldn't be sitting neatly in the racks like they are shown. Thered be pieces of plastic and raft all over the back deck. There like bombs going off. Matter of fact we just had a fatal fire on sat.We found smoked broken glass over 100 feet from the fire. We think that the glass got there when the o2 bottled failed and took out the front windows.

One of the other thing I find funny is if they bothered to look into SOLAS regarding life raft/ boat capacity theyed know there's more then enough on 1 side alone to handle everyone. Including crew.

Ho I agree, the canisters would be all over the place, I did in the video notice 1 canister by itself on the port side, intact, so I was thinking maybe there were more then the racked units. Maybe some that were indeed blown all apart.

Like you didn't even pay much attention the ambulance chaser's comments on the crew member and life raft capacity........let him rant.

AKK

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: