Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #16
dpuck1998
I'm innocent I tell you...innocent! I've been framed!

Worlds second largest Miami Dolphin fan

We only cruise with 2 rooms for 5 people. The extra bathroom, space, etc is so much better. We are able to get 2 rooms usually for less than booking 5 in the family staterooms.

Aug03'Yacht Club Concierge;Feb04'OKW;Oct04'Poly;Jan05'SSR;Jan06'SoG;April06'BCV/RPR;Jan07'BCV;
March07'Cruis'en;Sept07'HRH/MNSSHP;Dec07'Xmas@BCV;June08'VWL;May09'AKV/Podcast Cruise;Dec09'BCV/AKV for Xmas
April10'POR
dpuck1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
lindaso
We are just like the Incredibles...well, without the super powers!!

Thanks all...I was hoping to make this a surprise but I really think we'll need to discuss it as a family. I think I need the kids (and the hubby) to agree not to complain about the beds, the bathroom and the family closeness if they get the concierge perks. Sharing a pullout could be a deal breaker though

It's issues like these that will cost me grandchildren...my older two insist they are not having more than 2 kids b/c it makes vacations too complicated!!!!!

TRIPS TO PLAN
ALASKA on the Wonder July 2014

TRIPS TO REMEMBER
June 2013 -- Disney Dream;

June 2012 -- Disney Dream Double Dip; Feb. 2012 -- YC; Feb. 2011 -- Disney Dream Inaugural Voyages; Feb. 2010 -- YC; Jan. 2009 -- Disney Magic; April 2008 -- Poly ; Nov./Dec. 2007 -- YC ; Nov. 2006 -- Disney Magic, Our 1st cruise; Oct. 2005 -- AKL, no kids, 10th Anniversary ; Apr. 2005 -- Poly; Oct. 2003 -- Poly; Nov. 2001 -- CBR; May 2000 -- ASMu; May 1999 -- ASSp; Jan 1990 -- Offsite; Apr. 1984 -- Disneyland; Nov. 1978 -- Contemporary
lindaso is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
dslicom
Earning My Ears

We always booked 2 connecting rooms for our family of 5. On our last DCL cruise, we went with 1 room with veranda. I would NOT do that again: 1. when the murphy bed is down, you have difficult access to the drawers and the veranda 2. your room stewart takes the murphy bed up and down each day (I like control) 3. one bathroom is a challenge (esp. if someone is seasick).

We are heading to Alaska in July and I am thankful to have 2 rooms again!
dslicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #19
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslicom View Post
We always booked 2 connecting rooms for our family of 5. On our last DCL cruise, we went with 1 room with veranda. I would NOT do that again: 1. when the murphy bed is down, you have difficult access to the drawers and the veranda 2. your room stewart takes the murphy bed up and down each day (I like control) 3. one bathroom is a challenge (esp. if someone is seasick).

We are heading to Alaska in July and I am thankful to have 2 rooms again!
Exactly our experience. We will stick with 2 rooms!

That said, we've never splurged on concierge. That said, I don't think I'd do it unless we had one of the larger Cat T rooms.
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #20
shopmom
Earning My Ears

We are a family of 6 . When all 6 travel its two rooms for sure . However , last summer I took the 4 boys on the dream for a 5 night cruise . We stayed in a family verandah room . One room , split bath , 4 boys aged 15 and older and mom . My boys can take a long time dressing etc but we were able to manage showers etc with little complaints or rushing . With all beds made up at night the room is a tad tight for moving around but during the day no issues . I'd rather save the money by doing one room and splurging on other cruise amenities such as cabana , spa treat and palo then pay for a second room for a bathroom . Plus it was family time and we enjoyed the time together . As they are all pretty independent due to age having all of us together for any length of time is rare ...
shopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #21
dpuck1998
I'm innocent I tell you...innocent! I've been framed!

Worlds second largest Miami Dolphin fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopmom View Post
We are a family of 6 . When all 6 travel its two rooms for sure . However , last summer I took the 4 boys on the dream for a 5 night cruise . We stayed in a family verandah room . One room , split bath , 4 boys aged 15 and older and mom . My boys can take a long time dressing etc but we were able to manage showers etc with little complaints or rushing . With all beds made up at night the room is a tad tight for moving around but during the day no issues . I'd rather save the money by doing one room and splurging on other cruise amenities such as cabana , spa treat and palo then pay for a second room for a bathroom . Plus it was family time and we enjoyed the time together . As they are all pretty independent due to age having all of us together for any length of time is rare ...
Always compre the cost of two rooms to the family verandah room. If you don't mind giving up the verandah, we have found two rooms to be less expensive than the family verandah room.

Aug03'Yacht Club Concierge;Feb04'OKW;Oct04'Poly;Jan05'SSR;Jan06'SoG;April06'BCV/RPR;Jan07'BCV;
March07'Cruis'en;Sept07'HRH/MNSSHP;Dec07'Xmas@BCV;June08'VWL;May09'AKV/Podcast Cruise;Dec09'BCV/AKV for Xmas
April10'POR
dpuck1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #22
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

we have only done one cruise on disney (actually only one with the kids) and we will always do 2 rooms I think (unless the other option is waaay more cost effective). Dh likes space and saving money. It costs less for more space, he's all about it. On other lines, we almost always get a balcony, because without having the kids, it is way more affordable and useful.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #23
shopmom
Earning My Ears

Gotta have a verandah .. That's non negotiable .. We have coffee in morning , drinks before dinner and a quiet refuge on busy on deck sea days
shopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #24
ndabunka
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom3NY View Post
When we cruised before we had 2 rooms for family of 5, but for our next fantasy cruise i booked cat V. I'm afraid of missing the extra space, but excited for the perks.
Aren't the Cat V's the EXACT same 29 SqFt size as the 04x "Family" cabins? The only difference is the concierge service, right?
Disney Magic - July '01 (Bahamas)
Disney Wonder - May '00 (Bahamas)
RCL Monarch of the Seas - '93 (Eastern Caribbean)
NCL Sunward II - '91 (Bahamas)
ndabunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #25
wl1117
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Aren't the Cat V's the EXACT same 29 SqFt size as the 04x "Family" cabins? The only difference is the concierge service, right?
No, the Cat 4's are 299 sq ft, the Cat V is 304sq ft...so only a 5 sq ft difference. However the OP was talking about moving from TWO Cat 4/5's to ONE Cat V (in order to experience Concierge)...so a significant difference in space.

I still say, go for it!

6th DCL cruise -Magic - May 2, 2014
wl1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #26
mjtatman
Mouseketeer

sorry, i'm a little new to the Disney cruise, but stumbled on this thread, and we are a family of 5. We currently have booked a family suite with verandah, but I'm concerned about having only one bathroom. It is DH & 3 boys, so I'm the only girl, but we always book two rooms or a suite so we can have the two bathrooms. However, the price was a little more than I wanted to splurge. What all do you get with concierge? I'm unfamiliar with this!
2009 - ASM
2008 - FW
2001 - offsite
1994 - offsite
1992 - SSR/Tree Houses
1988 - offsite
1984 - FW
1980 - POLY
mjtatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
mjtatman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopmom View Post
I LOVE this attitude! I'm packing it for our vacation :-)
2009 - ASM
2008 - FW
2001 - offsite
1994 - offsite
1992 - SSR/Tree Houses
1988 - offsite
1984 - FW
1980 - POLY
mjtatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #28
jimsubry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It's issues like these that will cost me grandchildren...my older two insist they are not having more than 2 kids b/c it makes vacations too complicated!!!!!
LOL! Just reading this thread has made me glad to have just one child, myself! It never even crossed my mind that some families need to get TWO rooms when they go on a cruise! I don't even want to think about the expense of that! I really suspect "the economy" isn't quite as bad these days as so many people have been saying it is...
jimsubry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: