Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran
 
Lisa Lisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaraRae View Post
Where do you go in your reservation to check this? Where would I look?
I had been checking DCL's site a couple of times a week to see what was happening with September rates, and I saw that the price had gone down just a bit for my sailing. When I looked more closely, I saw that the cruise fare was the same, but the port charges were a little lower. A few days later, I got an e-mail from DCL "confirming" our cruise. The e-mail reflected the lower balance due to the reduced port charges. If I had not seen the change on DCL's site, I'm not sure I would have been able to figure out what was going on from the e-mail! I did book directly through DCL for this cruise, so I'm not sure how you would find out if you booked through a TA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentina View Post
How do you find the GTY rates on the web site?
There really aren't "GTY rates." Once a category has almost sold out, DCL will continue to sell that category for a little while with GTY status -- so you will not get to choose a specific room. DCL will assign you a room in that category or higher FOR THE SAME PRICE as if you had chosen a specific room in that category. If you do end up getting upgraded, I suppose you could see it as a discount. Many people do end up with the category they booked. There are actual discounted rates called IGT, OGT, and VGT. When they are available, they will be listed with the other room categories. Look up near the top of the page and you will find a Sticky with a great explanation of the difference between GTY and *GT bookings.
__________________
~Lisa





Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #17
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran
 
IBelieveInTheMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
I had been checking DCL's site a couple of times a week to see what was happening with September rates, and I saw that the price had gone down just a bit for my sailing. When I looked more closely, I saw that the cruise fare was the same, but the port charges were a little lower. A few days later, I got an e-mail from DCL "confirming" our cruise. The e-mail reflected the lower balance due to the reduced port charges. If I had not seen the change on DCL's site, I'm not sure I would have been able to figure out what was going on from the e-mail! I did book directly through DCL for this cruise, so I'm not sure how you would find out if you booked through a TA.
I had called last week to apply some gift cards to our balance to pre pay for the tips and our airport transfers and I went through Costco to do so since I had transferred the reservation over awhile back. When she came back she advised me I had a $16.00 extra credit to my OBB since the price went down (port taxes or fees as you mentioned). You are right - not sure how I would have known this since I wasn't notified but I'm glad they pointed it out to me so among the three of us we have a free coffee drink a piece I guess

I'm surprised this 7A rate is still popping up for $599! Like many others, we will be fine with the 7A but I really hope since there are three of us we do get upgraded and based on the numbers that have booked this and the availability of true 7A cabins, surely quite a few will be upgraded. I can't wait to find out where we all end up!

Heather
__________________
(Me), (DH), (DS)
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 9/2014 (Dream for my Mom), 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #18
AdaraRae
Mouseketeer
 
AdaraRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post

I had been checking DCL's site a couple of times a week to see what was happening with September rates, and I saw that the price had gone down just a bit for my sailing. When I looked more closely, I saw that the cruise fare was the same, but the port charges were a little lower. A few days later, I got an e-mail from DCL "confirming" our cruise. The e-mail reflected the lower balance due to the reduced port charges. If I had not seen the change on DCL's site, I'm not sure I would have been able to figure out what was going on from the e-mail! I did book directly through DCL for this cruise, so I'm not sure how you would find out if you booked through a TA.
.
Hmm. We cruise sept 22-26, ill have to start paying attention. I hope ours changes and I have a little bit of lower difference.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
AdaraRae
AdaraRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #19
Ofinn
DIS Veteran
 
Ofinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
I had been checking DCL's site a couple of times a week to see what was happening with September rates, and I saw that the price had gone down just a bit for my sailing. When I looked more closely, I saw that the cruise fare was the same, but the port charges were a little lower. A few days later, I got an e-mail from DCL "confirming" our cruise. The e-mail reflected the lower balance due to the reduced port charges. If I had not seen the change on DCL's site, I'm not sure I would have been able to figure out what was going on from the e-mail! I did book directly through DCL for this cruise, so I'm not sure how you would find out if you booked through a TA.



There really aren't "GTY rates." Once a category has almost sold out, DCL will continue to sell that category for a little while with GTY status -- so you will not get to choose a specific room. DCL will assign you a room in that category or higher FOR THE SAME PRICE as if you had chosen a specific room in that category. If you do end up getting upgraded, I suppose you could see it as a discount. Many people do end up with the category they booked. There are actual discounted rates called IGT, OGT, and VGT. When they are available, they will be listed with the other room categories. Look up near the top of the page and you will find a Sticky with a great explanation of the difference between GTY and *GT bookings.
Actually the 7a gty's were cheaper than the inside and ocean view cabins. I would consider this a discount. It's a special Disney has been running periodically on the September cruises. Normally you would be correct GTY's aren't discounted, but this is not a normal gty booking.
__________________
Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #20
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran
 
Lisa Lisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
Actually the 7a gty's were cheaper than the inside and ocean view cabins. I would consider this a discount. It's a special Disney has been running periodically on the September cruises. Normally you would be correct GTY's aren't discounted, but this is not a normal gty booking.
I agree that the September dates on the Dream do not follow the typical GTY "rules." Initially, this was not a GTY promotion. When DCL rolled out the DRM promotion in February, things were more clear cut. For 4-night sailings (I'll use that example because that is what I'm familiar with), this was the deal that was offered:

Lowest category of inside room (11C): $499 + $50 OBC
Lowest category of outside room (9D): $549 + $50 OBC
Lowest category of verandah room (7A): $599 + $100 OBC
*These prices are per person for the first two people in the room; the OBC is per room

I started to book on the first day, and at that time I was able to choose a specific room. By the time we decided to definitely go ahead, on day 3 of the promotion, 7A was in GTY status. So this didn't start as a "GTY" promotion.

What is different about the September sailings on the Dream is that DCL has continued to offer the fares on and off over a period of months. I've only been following the 4-night cruises, but sometimes all three special rates are available and sometimes only one or two of them show. One thing is for certain -- Lots of people have gotten great deals!

Must go now. My booking window for our 9/1 cruise opens in 4 minutes!!
__________________
~Lisa





Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014

Last edited by Lisa Lisa; 06-03-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Lisa Lisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #21
Lady Duchess
Mouseketeer
 
Lady Duchess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mickey Florida
Posts: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
I agree that the September dates on the Dream do not follow the typical GTY "rules." Initially, this was not a GTY promotion. When DCL rolled out the DRM promotion in February, things were more clear cut. For 4-night sailings (I'll use that example because that is what I'm familiar with), this was the deal that was offered:

Lowest category of inside room (11C): $499 + $50 OBC
Lowest category of outside room (9D): $549 + $50 OBC
Lowest category of verandah room (7A): $599 + $100 OBC
*These prices are per person for the first two people in the room; the OBC is per room

I started to book on the first day, and at that time I was able to choose a specific room. By the time we decided to definitely go ahead, on day 3 of the promotion, 7A was in GTY status. So this didn't start as a "GTY" promotion.

What is different about the September sailings on the Dream is that DCL has continued to offer the fares on and off over a period of months. I've only been following the 4-night cruises, but sometimes all three special rates are available and sometimes only one or two of them show. One thing is for certain -- Lots of people have gotten great deals!

Must go now. My booking window for our 9/1 cruise opens in 4 minutes!!
Are you sailing on the Dream on 9/1? If so, we have a facebook page, wasn't sure if you had seen it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Disneydream9113/

Happy cruising
__________________
Celebrity Zenith 2006 Costa Mediterranea 2007
Costa Fortuna 2007 Costa Mediterranea 2008
MSC Lirica 2008 MSC Lirica 2009 Carnival Dream 2009
MSC Poesia 2010 HAL Ryndam 2010 MSC Poesia 2010
HAL Westerdam 2011 NCL Star 2011
HAL Ryndam 2012 Disney Dream 2012
Royal Caribbean 2012 HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 2013 Disney Dream 2013
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 2014
Lady Duchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.