Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
disneynut11
Mouseketeer

Can I drop the Dining Plan?

After reading a lot of posts on here, we are thinking of dropping the dining plan and using Disney gift cards (that we pre-purchase) to pay for meals.
If we do this (we are not at our 45 day final payment deadline yet) will we lose our room at AOA Little Mermaid?
I am afraid they will make us make a new reservation and since AOA LM is sold out for our August dates, we will lose our reservation, instead of simply cancelling the dining plan.

kamr211, 5 minutes ago Edit Report
disneynut11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

I'd call and ask. You can probably drop the dining plan as long as you keep your tickets and still be on your original package, but you would have to make very sure when you make the change.

There are a lot of folks with strong feelings about particular subjects here on the DIS. I would take a lot of what you read with a grain of salt and really look hard at your own family and what your plans are like before making any decision. If your ADRs look like a lot of signature and character meals, and you've got a family of 4 or more, the DP can be beneficial. If it's just you and your DW/DH, and you don't want ADRs at all and prefer quick service, then DP is not for you.

There are a couple of sites that have a spreadsheet you can use to figure out whether or not you'll be ahead or behind on the DP. When I filled it out for my family of 5, the DP had a cost savings of a few hundred dollars over paying out of pocket.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
2manypets
DIS Veteran

Yes you can drop the dining portion of your package. The only way they will have to cancel is if you wanted to go to a room only.

And no, the DDP is not for everyone. We, personally, don't like the rules of it. We like to eat what and where we like.

2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
scard192
DIS Veteran

if you drop the DDP, you will have to pay the higher prices for tickets that went into effect today, I think.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
disneynut11
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
I'd call and ask. You can probably drop the dining plan as long as you keep your tickets and still be on your original package, but you would have to make very sure when you make the change.

There are a lot of folks with strong feelings about particular subjects here on the DIS. I would take a lot of what you read with a grain of salt and really look hard at your own family and what your plans are like before making any decision. If your ADRs look like a lot of signature and character meals, and you've got a family of 4 or more, the DP can be beneficial. If it's just you and your DW/DH, and you don't want ADRs at all and prefer quick service, then DP is not for you.

There are a couple of sites that have a spreadsheet you can use to figure out whether or not you'll be ahead or behind on the DP. When I filled it out for my family of 5, the DP had a cost savings of a few hundred dollars over paying out of pocket.
Any recommendations on sites?
disneynut11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
suemom2kay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard192 View Post
if you drop the DDP, you will have to pay the higher prices for tickets that went into effect today, I think.
I don't know how true this statement is as OP is keeping Room Package, just cancelling the DDP portion of same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynut11 View Post
Any recommendations on sites?
http://seeyareelsoon.wix.com/seeyareelsoon

Last edited by suemom2kay; 06-02-2013 at 10:42 AM.
suemom2kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suemom2kay View Post
I don't know how true this statement is as OP is keeping Room Package, just cancelling the DDP portion of same.

http://seeyareelsoon.wix.com/seeyareelsoon

This is a good site - very accurate.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard192
Not true, Disney honors tickets at the prices you booked. She had to in order to get a package with dining. So her ticket price will not change.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
scard192
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard192 View Post
Sorry, guess I was wrong; I don't know as much as I thought I did.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: