Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
quarkwright
Mouseketeer

PACKING ADVICE: Tell me one thing you never pack, or an unusual must-pack items?

Never cruised before. Booked for Sept 2014 - long ways away, and I am haunting these boards to keep my excitement alive.

I know there are a million threads about packing. I have seen many threads with the advice to pack less. And quite a few with advice to bring a shoe organizer, pop-up hamper, etc.

I know every cruise and every person is different, and different people will need/not need different things. So tell me what things you leave behind. Or tell me about something you make sure to pack that doesn't appear on everyone else's list.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Never pack: shampoo/conditioner. They have stuff in the room, and will replenish it.

Always pack: a flame less candle or another sort of nightlight for bathroom runs (and one you can take in the bathroom with you) because all of the lights will burn your eyes out in the night! Also my own flavored coffee creamer for room service or drink station coffee!

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Jax View Post
Never pack: shampoo/conditioner. They have stuff in the room, and will replenish it.

Always pack: a flame less candle or another sort of nightlight for bathroom runs (and one you can take in the bathroom with you) because all of the lights will burn your eyes out in the night! Also my own flavored coffee creamer for room service or drink station coffee!
Yes, but how good is it? If it's like the stuff in the park resorts (I've stayed in all categories there), it is HORRIBLE for my hair. Especially with all the abuse it will be taking in the new environment (salt water, wind, sun, etc.) I'm going to stick with what helps a little.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
sambycat
DIS Veteran

The hair care and lotion products on the boat are vastly superior to those at any hotel. I have coarse hair, at most I bring along a tube of a deep leave in conditioner. This is the only vacation I've gone to that I don't bring shampoo along with!

We don't bring all theses storeage tchotchkes people write about, we seem to do just fine with the options in the room.

I always bring more than one bathing suit and a ridiculously large but super cool pirate hat that I hate dragging along but what else would you do with a big fluffy hat with feathers and a pirate ship on it?? Not many places to wear that!!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

Now that everyone is older and has a lot more stuff I brought along power strips. On the classic ships anyway there aren't many outlets in the cabin and the wave phone takes up one! This was the first time I did a nightlight for our inside cabin. It was the sensor kind so just left it plugged in on the desk!
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

We used to pack a night light, but we have found that with the wave phone we don't need a night light. We have a wave phone on each night stand. One quick push of any button and the screen is bright enough to get you to the bathroom and back to bed.
Minniemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We got a $1 foldable step stool from Hobby Lobby so my DD3 could reach the sink in the bathroom. We will never travel anywhere without it again (until she grows about a foot more, at least!). A nightlight for the bathroom is a good idea.

I agree with the PP who said the cruise shampoo is good. I also never bring beach towels as towels are readily available. We do bring clips to hold towels to our beach chairs (they sell them lots of places but ours came from Kohl's). They keep the towels from falling down and help you see your stuff from a distance. :-)

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
amie416
Mouseketeer

Based on the current "kids running in the hallway" discussion thread, I will definitely be packing my sound isolating in-ear headphones (Sennheiser SE215) - I've learned that I can fall asleep through just about any obnoxious noise as long as I put these in my ears and listen to some light music or a podcast. They're a less expensive, single-driver version of the in-ear monitors a lot of musicians performers wear on stage. For me, they're way better than earplugs.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

We've never packed a power strip or a shoe organizer (never needed either one, but everyone is different.)

We always bring a lint roller.

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
Yes, but how good is it? If it's like the stuff in the park resorts (I've stayed in all categories there), it is HORRIBLE for my hair. Especially with all the abuse it will be taking in the new environment (salt water, wind, sun, etc.) I'm going to stick with what helps a little.
Don't get me wrong - the H20 products are great. However, I have long, thick hair and the conditioner just wasn't doing it for me especially with the abuse like you mentioned. My hair felt yucky all week, and getting back to my regular conditioner made getting off the ship a little easier to bear - lol I would suggest at least trying the products on the ship b/c they smell heavenly, but bring your own just in case!!

I also don't need to use frizz control at home, but it was a necessity for the cruise. My hair drove me crazy all week and never looked right.
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkwright View Post
Never cruised before. Booked for Sept 2014 - long ways away, and I am haunting these boards to keep my excitement alive.

I know there are a million threads about packing. I have seen many threads with the advice to pack less. And quite a few with advice to bring a shoe organizer, pop-up hamper, etc.

I know every cruise and every person is different, and different people will need/not need different things. So tell me what things you leave behind. Or tell me about something you make sure to pack that doesn't appear on everyone else's list.
DO PACK: frizz control for your hair - I don't need it at home but my hair was a hot mess the entire week. I live in Virginia, and the humidity in the Caribbean just doesn't even compare. Also, bring a watch or some other way to tell time. There aren't many clocks on the ship.

DON'T PACK - beach towels! I filled up half a suitcase on our first cruise with towels b/c I didn't know they were provided.
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
daisywithak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbeandreaming View Post
Don't get me wrong - the H20 products are great. However, I have long, thick hair and the conditioner just wasn't doing it for me especially with the abuse like you mentioned. My hair felt yucky all week, and getting back to my regular conditioner made getting off the ship a little easier to bear - lol I would suggest at least trying the products on the ship b/c they smell heavenly, but bring your own just in case!!

I also don't need to use frizz control at home, but it was a necessity for the cruise. My hair drove me crazy all week and never looked right.
I agree! While the products are better than in most hotels, I still find that I need to bring my own. If you normally feel like you need your own, then you probably need it for the cruise too. I hate having to bring it, but I don't have a choice.
daisywithak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

I just got off of the Fantasy yesterday. I packed a hair dryer, but didn't use it. The one in the room worked well.

Pack clothespins. They don't take up much space, and it makes hanging bathing suits up to dry much easier.

Pack a small pop-up hamper.

Don't pack towels. You don't need them.

Pack enough wire hangers to hang all of your clothes. Then, at the end of the trip, throw them away.

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
M own conditioner is a must. I wash my hair with conditioner, use a leave in and even use it when shaving. I am very picky about what I do and don't put on my hair.

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post
I just got off of the Fantasy yesterday. I packed a hair dryer, but didn't use it. The one in the room worked well.

Pack clothespins. They don't take up much space, and it makes hanging bathing suits up to dry much easier.

Pack a small pop-up hamper.

Don't pack towels. You don't need them.

Pack enough wire hangers to hang all of your clothes. Then, at the end of the trip, throw them away.
If you are on a classic ship, you need a blow dryer. Otherwise, it is very weak one attached to the wall in bathroom!
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: