Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

Just got off of the Fantasy - Details for new cruisers

Hi. I just got off of the Fantasy today. It was our family's first cruise. I thought that I would share a few details that might be helpful for first time cruisers.

Before the cruise -
We decided to fly in the day before the cruise. We used ExecuCar for transportation from the Orlando airport to the hotel in Port Canaveral. The service was perfect. As soon as we got to the baggage claim area, we saw the driver holding up a sign with our last name on it. He walked us to the baggage area and then helped take our luggage to the vehicle. It was $30 per person, so $150 plus tip for our party of five.
http://www.execucar.com

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites that night. My husband and I were traveling with three teens, so we booked a room with a queen bed that had an additional separated area with three twin beds. The hotel was fine. The free breakfast was average.

They have a shuttle service for $5 per person. We called the hotel the morning of our arrival and requested a shuttle time. When we checked in, they gave us a slip of paper with our shuttle time on it. The next morning we went into a meeting room and checked in. When they called our name, we went outside to board the shuttle.

The shuttle dropped us off at the port. They handed our bags to a cruise employee and we didn't see them again until they were delivered to our room.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Turbanator
Disney Fan

Thanks for the report Bluestars
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Bluestars

Then we stood in line and an employee checked our identification and matched the names of everyone in our party to a list. We proceeded to another area where we went through a scanner. Then we went upstairs and stood in the Disney cruise check in line.

They checked our passports and took pictures of us. We got our room keys and a card with a boarding number. Since our boarding number had already been called (it was noon by this time) we walked on to the ship. The rooms are not ready until 1:30 pm. They will have the hallways leading to the rooms roped off.

We went to Cabanas on the 11th deck and ate at the buffet. We then walked around until our rooms were ready.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Bluestars

We travelled with teens, so I don't know anything about the kids' clubs. The teen club is called the Vibe and the teens liked it.

There are adult shows in a club called the Tube. I highly recommend going to them. We usually attended the ones that started at 10:15. The first one was a game show called Match Mate. There was an adult magic show and a few other ones that were very entertaining. They have a two-for-the-price-of-one drink special every night.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
Bluestars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Thanks for the report Bluestars
You're welcome. Please let me know if you have any questions. I
am just going over a few things that people who are going to be cruising for the first time might want to know.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Bluestars

Oh, when we checked in, we were traveling with our son and two other teens. Although we had the paperwork filled out for the two teens, they did not ask for it.

When you leave the ship for excursions or just to get off for shopping, everyone in your party will need their room key. However, only people 18 and over will need a picture ID.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Bluestars

At the end of our cruise, they had a sign up that recommended that anyone with a flight time of 1:00 pm or earlier use the express exit.

Normally on your last day you will go to breakfast at whatever restaurant you dined the night before. For those who have early dining, you go to breakfast at 6:45. Those with late dining will go at 8:00. These people will have to pack their bags and leave them outside of their door the night before between 8:00 pm and 10:00 pm. Then when they go to breakfast in the morning, they will not go back to their rooms. They will leave the ship.

For those people who are in a hurry to get off of the ship, they can show up near the door on deck 3 by 7:00 a.m. You must have all of your luggage to exit the ship at this time.

They opened the doors a few minutes before 7:00. We got in a line and had our room keys scanned. Then we got to another check point where they checked our passports and took our customs form. After that, we walked outside where a Disney employee asked what type of transportation we had.

We booked Disney's transportation to get to the Orlando airport. They had us get on a particular bus. It was 7:10 when we got on the bus. We got to the airport a little after 8:00 am and our airline was the second stop. Security was crowded. We got to our gate around 8:50, which was in plenty of time for our flight.

Last edited by Bluestars; 06-01-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Bluestars

The ship is very impressive. They keep it spotless. The service was excellent. Everywhere we went, we got great service.

They sell misc items at the White Caps store near the liquor section. Items like diapers, shampoo, sea sickness medicine, etc.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
supercrossfox21
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestars View Post
Oh, when we checked in, we were traveling with our son and two other teens. Although we had the paperwork filled out for the two teens, they did not ask for it.

When you leave the ship for excursions or just to get off for shopping, everyone in your party will need their room key. However, only people 18 and over will need a picture ID.
When you say a picture id, this in addition to your room key that has your picture in it when its scanned? This is our 1st diney cruise but on our other cruise we just needed our card when we got iff the ship and when they scanned it our picture would pop up on the screen.
supercrossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
canadiandisneyfamof4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrossfox21 View Post

When you say a picture id, this in addition to your room key that has your picture in it when its scanned? This is our 1st diney cruise but on our other cruise we just needed our card when we got iff the ship and when they scanned it our picture would pop up on the screen.
You will need photo ID at each port not for DCL, but local customs in order to get back into the port area
canadiandisneyfamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
darrenf67
Mouseketeer

Great advice thanks! We sail in November. You considering a trip report? I would love to see what you got up to on the cruise.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
STLDisney_Freak
I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH look a kitty! Cats are like potato chips you can't have just one! Chihauhuas, Shih Tzus and Pugs! Oh My!

We just got off as well. On our drive home now. Hoping to make it there sometime early tomorrow.

Sent from iPhone

Cruises sailed: 12/08 Magic - Western, 09/10 Wonder - DVC Member, 10/11 Dream - Bahamas, 05/13 Fantasy - Western, 03/14 -RC Brilliance of the Seas - STEELERS cruise! 10/14 - Wonder Double Dip
STLDisney_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
wifey1220
DIS Veteran

We also just got off the boat. It was sold out but didn't feel over crowded. The pools would get busy and cabanas but only at lunch time. It was a great trip. The characters are wonderful. They knewy boys names and played games with them. Wish I could tip the characters and kids club staff. I did write a nice letter.
2003 offsite, 2005 ASmovies and free dining, 2006 ASmovies and free dining, 2007 ASmusic and free dining, 2008 Pop Century and free dining, 2009 ASmusic and free dining, 2011 Disney cruise and Pop Century, 2012 Cruise on dream , 2013 Disney cruise on the Fantasy, 2013dcl dream and por free dining, 2014 dcl magic 3 nt and 7 nt eastern
wifey1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
JimGA
Mouseketeer

To our surprise, we stayed at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Titusville, 25 minutes from the port, nice hot breakfast and they now offer a 40% discount for parking at the Port.

Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013
Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
Bluestars

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrossfox21 View Post
Disney requested that every person on the cruise take their room key with them off of the ship. It will be scanned as you leave the ship and when you return. They requested that anyone over 18 also take a photo ID (such as passport or driver's license) in addition to the room key. They never asked for our photo ID, but we took it each time we got off of the ship. When they scanned the room keys, our pictures came up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: