Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Help us decide where to stay!

My dad called me up this morning and told me he's taking me back to Disney World for my 21st birthday at the end of August! I'm so excited because I never get to travel with my dad. He works a lot and hasn't been on a vacation in like 8 years. He told me he'd like a resort with a fitness centre, but other than that he's not too picky, though I know he doesn't want to spend a fortune. The less expensive deluxe resorts like AKL and WL would probably be fine with him. He's okay with splurging a little bit because he hasn't travelled in so long, and it's my birthday. Help me pick!

2000 - Dixie Landings, 2012 - Pop Century, 2013 - Port Orleans: Riverside and BoardWalk Inn

Turing 21 With Mickey - A Father/Daughter August '13 PTR

No Princes Allowed! - A Mother-Daughter Trip
rebeccaariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccaariel View Post
My dad called me up this morning and told me he's taking me back to Disney World for my 21st birthday at the end of August! I'm so excited because I never get to travel with my dad. He works a lot and hasn't been on a vacation in like 8 years. He told me he'd like a resort with a fitness centre, but other than that he's not too picky, though I know he doesn't want to spend a fortune. The less expensive deluxe resorts like AKL and WL would probably be fine with him. He's okay with splurging a little bit because he hasn't travelled in so long, and it's my birthday. Help me pick!
Wilderness Lodge has a very nice fitness center. And if he likes to run outdoors, there is a nice path to Fort Wilderness. The resort itself is beautiful. You can't go wrong with this choice.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post

Wilderness Lodge has a very nice fitness center. And if he likes to run outdoors, there is a nice path to Fort Wilderness. The resort itself is beautiful. You can't go wrong with this choice.
Thanks for the suggestion! That's one of the ones I think he'd really like!

2000 - Dixie Landings, 2012 - Pop Century, 2013 - Port Orleans: Riverside and BoardWalk Inn

Old 05-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
mmmears
DIS Veteran

AKL also has a nice fitness center.

Both AKL and WL are very nice, IMO. WL gives you proximity to the MK, but AKL has the animals. It really just depends which theme/location you prefer.

Sometimes you can get a nice price at the YC or BC (more than AKL/WL) and they have a nice gym as well. They are in a great location if you'd like to be able to walk to Epcot and DHS.

Hope this helps!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
jbuey22
Mouseketeer

Last time out

Quote:
We stayed at Coronado Springs Last time and it had a decent fitness center and spa. It is a moderate resort so it will be a bit cheaper than some of those other options too!!!

1989 The Disney Inn (Honeymoon) SOG was once owed by Disney Hence the Disney Inn
2000 AllStar Sports kids 8 & 5
2002 AllStar Music kids 10 & 7
2003 AllStar Movies Kids 11 & 8
2006 Port Orleans Fench Quarter kids 14 & 11
2007 Port Orleans Riverside Kids 15 & 12
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kids 16 & 13
2011 Coronado Springs Kids 19 & 16
and coming August...
2013 Carribean Beach Kids 21 & 18
jbuey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Don't forget CSR! They have a fitness center, hot tub, pools, a night club, sit down restaurant and fast food, a snack bar at feature pool and a bar with lounge area adjacent to the lake.

If you can get the new business class it is awesome.

Read up on it on CSR thread but here basics:

It has a lounge with breakfast 7-10am. Then 5-10p has appetizers beer, wine and sangria! The building is 9b which is close to everything.

For the deluxe I like WL better due to location vs AkL. It is super easy to take boat to CR then you can play on monorail and at those resorts too.

Happy Planning!
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuey22 View Post
We stayed at Coronado Springs Last time and it had a decent fitness center and spa. It is a moderate resort so it will be a bit cheaper than some of those other options too!!!
I thought about that one but there's no availability for the week of August 25th, when we're going

Old 05-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #8
WisconsinDad
Mouseketeer

If a fitness center and cost are important, I would consider:

AKL
WL
CR-GW
Swan/Dolphin

I've stayed at the Swan for a convention and have stayed at CSR with my family (unfortunate that it is sold out for you; it's a beautiful resort).

You can generally get good rates at the Swan/Dolphin (comparable to Mods at times) if it isn't important having a MYW package. It is very convenient to Epcot and the BW if that is important to you. I wasn't able to use ME but I had rented a car anyway.

This Aug we are staying at the CR-GW with the 30% RO discount and that made it somewhat affordable (for a deluxe anyway).

Good luck with your decision.
WisconsinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
rosiegmendez
Mouseketeer

For your 21st birthday...

Try for any of the Epcot resorts if you can. I cant think of a funner place to spend your21st with all of the entertainment options on the Boardwalk and walking distance to World Showcase at Epcot.

You could drink your way around the world on your 21st (if that's what you prefer, of course!).

2013 - AoA LM / POR WDW
2007 - 2009 Annual Passes to Disneyland
2006 - GC Disneyland
rosiegmendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
boundfordisney
I think my finger prints are still on the grab bars to this day

yacht club would be my choice , beautiful resort walking distance to epcot hs and of course the boardwalk. Pool area is fantastic , tennis courts 2 spas, love this resort!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
kimysbug
DIS Veteran

I love the wilderness lodge
Quick boat to mk
Very manly for dad, enjoy
1999/2000-Board walk/Disney Wonder New Years Cruise Dec/Jan
2000- All Star Sports- September
2001- Port Orleans French Quarter- June
2003-Polynessian - October -MNSSHP
2005-Disney Vow Renewal Grand Floridian -July
2005- Pop Century- December MVMCP