Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #16
Yellosno
DIS Veteran

I would vote poly simply because you could watch the fireworks and have a nice relaxing evening at the resort.
August 2005 Beach Club & Polynesian
January 2008 Wilderness Lodge
August 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter
July 2012: Saratoga Springs & Pop Century
August 2013: Boardwalk & Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yellosno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Mickey & Minnie Mom
DIS Veteran

I would stay at BC or YC to enjoy SAB and then walk the Boardwalk at night enjoying the live entertainers. Or sit on the beach and take in the movie and roast marshmallows. Maybe hit Beaches & Cream for dinner and/or ice cream. But mostly just hang around the pool, enjoying the slide, lazy river, pool games, music, drinks from Hurricane Hannah's .. all great in the August heat. A great way to transition into vacation mode. Maybe just hit Epcot for Illuminations. You'll love the walk over and quickly back to your hotel after.

Or, try the WL. That was our first deluxe as a family and we really enjoyed it. The pool/slide are not as expansive as at BC but still enjoyable. The grounds are just lovely, feel away from the hustle and bustle. Loved the geyser. Maybe hit MK for Wishes to enjoy the boat ride over.

Can't comment on AKL. Have not stayed there yet, but will be there for a couple of nights at the end of our BC vacation. No plans to hit the parks, just enjoy the resort, the pool, all the activities, animal viewing. Sort of a vacation from our vacation before we drive home. We did visit for a few hours last year on our way out of Disney and though enough of it to book it for this year.

Hope you have a great time wherever you end up.

Mickey & Minnie Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Since it's only one night, I would choose a monorail resort or BC/YC. A monorail resort so you could take advantage of the monorail for the day or BC/YC so you all could take advantage of Stormalong Bay and the Boardwalk area for the day. Plus, the boat or walking ability to Epcot/DHS is great.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
Princess MaryPoppins
Cast Member 2008 - Magic Kingdom

Poly or AKL

Princess MaryPoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #20
mkarizona
DIS Veteran

AKL because it is amazing!
mkarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #21
Mickey'sMainMami
I love playing video games!!
I also love playing with my nephew's toys!

I have never stayed deluxe, but one day I will stay in the Polynesian!!
Mickey'sMainMami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #22
WisconsinDad
Mouseketeer

It depends on what you're looking for in a deluxe. I just went through this same decision making process.

Here are the considerations I used:

Close to MK - GF/Poly/CR
Close to Epcot/HS and Boardwalk - BC/YC/BW
Best pool - BC/YC
Best theming - Depends on your taste; I agree that AKL looks beautiful. I also think WL looks incredible
Cost - AKL/WL/CR GW

The most important thing for us was convenience to parks (MK in particular)and cost (theming doesn't matter too much to us as we're not in the resort much). Even though it is for one night, you may want to consider these things since it sounds like it may lead to more stays in the future.

We are staying at the CR-GW in Aug just for the convenience to MK (we go to MK each night). Having the ability to walk back to the resort is something I'm really looking forward to.
WisconsinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #23
maryj11
DIS Veteran

The Poly ! I love the Poly the atmosphere is great ! I wasnt thrilled with my room last time, it kind of needed updated but, I was only in there to sleep . I believe they were in the process of updating rooms while I was there this past October. The pool, restaurants, the beach, and transportation are the best !

maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #24
nolabella
Earning My Ears

The Poly is my first choice with the Boardwalk being a close second!
nolabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:46 AM   #25
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

For one night only I would stay at the GF
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #26
Carriesouthard
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorsDad
We have a trip planned in August. Looks like we will be able to add 1 day at the beginning before heading to POP. We have stayed at the most of the values and a couple of the moderates. Normally we use the room only to sleep so we have never felt the need to upgrade at Disney.
This time we want to try a Deluxe just to see if it would be worth considering in the future. I thought about Animal Kingdom since I think my wife and daughter would enjoy seeing the animals. I would appreciate any and all other suggestions though.
Depends on what you are looking to do...will you stay at the resort for the day or head to a park? Which park would you head to? I would say poly either way would be my 1st choice hands down. Ohana, wishes from the beach, enjoying the pool/views for the day, Water pageant at night...just so much to do and see there. For a less expensive price tag AKL would be great if you were planning to stay at the resort for the day. Pool, animals, good food! Good luck deciding!
Carriesouthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #27
amccu18007
DIS Veteran

YC/BC for a day the resort. The pool can not be beat! Plus you can go to the movie on the beach, the bonfire with smore's, Epcot's fireworks, cape may for breakfast, and the Yachtsman for dinner. Add to that all of the nightlife for all ages on the boardwalk and the proximity to TWO parks, and it gets my vote for the best place to stay HANDS down!
March 11-19, 2009 CSR,March 10-18, 2010 POLY March 2-10,2011 BEACH CLUB, October 23-29,2011 BEACH CLUB March 13-22,2012 Offsite, October 3-6 2012 YACHT CLUB- Presidential suite!!! Whoo-hoo!! October 1-8 2013 POR (First trip for my parents!)June 23-27, 2014 CONTEMPORARY, Oct 17-24, 2014 YACHT CLUB

amccu18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #28
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Even though I have resorts I like better than Poly, the Poly would be my recommendation to you.

For your FIRST deluxe stay for ONE night only, Poly is one of the originals, Poly IS Disney!!

For many years THE MONORAIL was the face of Disney Deluxe resorts. Poly has it.

AKL is neat for the animals, Wilderness lodge is cool for their theming, YC / BC are nifty for their location if Epcot is your focus.

Book the Poly!!!
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #29
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

Another vote for the Poly here! It's our favorite deluxe. And for only one night, I'd want the monorail and fireworks view. If not Poly, I'd say CR as a 2nd choice.
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #30
disd55
Mouseketeer

BWI and BC have amazing pools if you were factoring pools into your decision! Poly is also great!!
disd55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: