Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
LyndaC
Mouseketeer

later that night

and earlier in the day

Segway tour of The Marina and the Wharf
Old 05-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

While others have answered some questions posted, I will address them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisettemac View Post
What kind of shape was the ship in? I'm a bit concerned that it might be rundown since it's heading to dry dock...
I don't think that the fact that a ship is heading into dry dock is a sign for concern that it's rundown. We take our cars in for oil changes periodically so they don't get rundown, right? I view drydock as a similar situation. Certain upkeep things just can't be done while the ship is in use and filled with 1,000s of people.

We thought the ship looked great! It was our fourth time sailing with Her and I can't think of a single time in seven days that I turned to DH to comment about something looking rundown. She's as gorgeous as can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisettemac View Post
What did your family do in Vancouver? We will only be there one night, staying at the Sheraton on Burrard Street. Would appreciate recommendations for family-friendly restaurants or fun things to do in the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyann415 View Post
We will be spending a few days in Vancouver before our cruise. What did you do while there? Anything you'd definitely recommend or definitely not.
We stayed right at the Port and did not have a car so we based our decisions on that which may be different depending upon where you are staying, but I can share what we did.

We had plans to be out and about by noon the day after the cruise. Our bodies revolted and said, "No!" So... we had a lazy morning/early afternoon at the hotel, just relaxing and enjoying the hotel. We then went out around mid-afternoon. We walked around the area, explored the GasTown Area, took a little break in an area where we could pick up a WiFi signal to check email, connect with family, and catch up with the world since we had been internet and phone-less for almost five days. Then we did a little shopping in area shops, and found a great place for dinner called Steamworks. We wandered back to the hotel enjoying the waterfront of Vancouver by night.

Day two was quite different. We again had a slow morning (cruise-lag!). We then went and got a bite to eat from the food court near the hotel, nothing special, but it got us ready for our afternoon. We had arranged for a private car to pick us up at 3pm and had a great two hour tour around the sights of Vancouver. We drove throughout Stanley Park, took pictures at the Totem Poles (of course!), went to Lion's Gate bridge (beautiful!), Prospect Point, West Vancouver, Kitsalano, through the University of British Columbia area, along the Frasier River, and then off to the airport. We had a great driver and felt like we got a great "taste" of Vancouver without too much exertion for these two tired cruisers who wanted to see some of Vancouver before heading home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyann415 View Post
Who was the cruise director?
As mentioned above, Jimmy. Simon was in charge of all of the Adult Activities.

If anyone has any more questions, feel welcome to post. I will do my best to answer.

Hope this helps,
Dreams

Disney Dreams is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #18
Disneypeach
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Was there a different type of concierge boarding system than the one in Port Canaveral?
Only guests in concierge rooms are allowed in the special waiting area and allowed early boarding in PC, but I heard this was not the case in California. I was told a large number of non-concierge passengers were in the concierge waiting area.
What was up with that? Any ideas?
hi there,
I was also on this cruise and can tell you that there were several B2B travelers from the WBPC cruise (I was one of them, not concierge) and we were put into an area next to the concierge group. In addition, we were allowed back on board first. So maybe that's what was being referenced...
Peach
Disneypeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
Disney Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Was there a different type of concierge boarding system than the one in Port Canaveral?
Only guests in concierge rooms are allowed in the special waiting area and allowed early boarding in PC, but I heard this was not the case in California. I was told a large number of non-concierge passengers were in the concierge waiting area.
What was up with that? Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneypeach View Post
hi there,
I was also on this cruise and can tell you that there were several B2B travelers from the WBPC cruise (I was one of them, not concierge) and we were put into an area next to the concierge group. In addition, we were allowed back on board first. So maybe that's what was being referenced...
Peach
Peach brings up an excellent point. I'm not sure who told you what exactly, justmestace, but there were 150 people onboard our cruise that cruised the following four cruises:
Wonder's last sailing in the Caribbean + WBPC + CA Coastal + 1st Alaskan

I know that they were allowed to leave the ship at the end of the cruise in Vancouver and board earlier than the new cruisers provided that they were back by a set time. This was probably the case in LA, as well.

I'm not exactly sure how this helps future cruisers (the point of my starting this thread), but perhaps that sheds some light on your concern.

- Dreams

Old 06-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #20
MasonsG
Earning My Ears

LAX to port

can anyone share what kind of costs or Disney shuttle options might have been available transfering from LAX to the port in LA? We are doing this same cruise in reverse in Sept (without the overnight SF or Victoria- which I hope they will do again as I would love to go there) but as to transfers- there has been so much helpful info for Cape Canaveral but nothing recent for LA since Disney only stops there a couple times a year- any updates or new info would be fantastic. So far we are reserved with Super Shuttle as I didn't know what Disney might offer? (we will have left the car near LAX when we fly up to Vancouver) Also any updated info on the option of getting from Vancouver to Seattle and then flying home- what was that like as we are doing that Disney cruise in May 2014 (no Victoria next year- bummer). Really appreciate your sharing your experiences. It makes our cruise seem that much closer. Your info on Vancouver was priceless- love the insights! Thank You!
MasonsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #21
Disney Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsG View Post
can anyone share what kind of costs or Disney shuttle options might have been available transfering from LAX to the port in LA? We are doing this same cruise in reverse in Sept (without the overnight SF or Victoria- which I hope they will do again as I would love to go there) but as to transfers- there has been so much helpful info for Cape Canaveral but nothing recent for LA since Disney only stops there a couple times a year- any updates or new info would be fantastic. So far we are reserved with Super Shuttle as I didn't know what Disney might offer? (we will have left the car near LAX when we fly up to Vancouver) Also any updated info on the option of getting from Vancouver to Seattle and then flying home- what was that like as we are doing that Disney cruise in May 2014 (no Victoria next year- bummer). Really appreciate your sharing your experiences. It makes our cruise seem that much closer. Your info on Vancouver was priceless- love the insights! Thank You!
I'm glad you found my Vancouver info helpful. That's the idea of this thread. YAY!

You lost me a bit on the transfers, but I think you mean going from the port to LAX. I would just use Super Shuttle. I think the Disney Shuttles only go to DLR and the DLR Hotels. If that is true (double check, call maybe?), that is not really where you need to be if your car is going to be near LAX.

As for getting from Vancouver to Seattle, I am not sure why so many people feel the need to do so. We researched the cost of flying out of Seattle vs. Vancouver. When you fly out of Seattle you have to add in the cost of either driving or the Skytrain (or some other method of getting to Seattle), plus the time. To us, it was worth it to stay and explore Vancouver and fly home straight from YVR. We are just two people, so it may vary depending upon party size, but when we did the research, it made sense to fly out of Vancouver instead of the time, money, and schlepping all of our stuff to Seattle.

Hope this helps,
Dreams

Old 06-01-2013, 03:24 AM   #22
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Sigh....

Your days spent in San Francisco sound heavenly!

My son attends college up there. We always try to enjoy the city when visiting.

Lovely, just WONDERful!
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #23
Zbugz
Thinking about In n Out Burgers and Sunshine

Disney Dreams, did they have a special menu for Pixar Pals Party night?

Which night was the Animator's Palate show - 1st or 2nd in rotation?

TIA, Zbugz
Zbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #24
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
I'm glad you found my Vancouver info helpful. That's the idea of this thread. YAY!

You lost me a bit on the transfers, but I think you mean going from the port to LAX. I would just use Super Shuttle. I think the Disney Shuttles only go to DLR and the DLR Hotels. If that is true (double check, call maybe?), that is not really where you need to be if your car is going to be near LAX.

As for getting from Vancouver to Seattle, I am not sure why so many people feel the need to do so. We researched the cost of flying out of Seattle vs. Vancouver. When you fly out of Seattle you have to add in the cost of either driving or the Skytrain (or some other method of getting to Seattle), plus the time. To us, it was worth it to stay and explore Vancouver and fly home straight from YVR. We are just two people, so it may vary depending upon party size, but when we did the research, it made sense to fly out of Vancouver instead of the time, money, and schlepping all of our stuff to Seattle.

Hope this helps,
Dreams
We are actually only considering this cruise because we are visiting family in Washington state that month and this cruise falls perfectly into the time we wanted to be there. I am currently researching the very same because most cruises seem to go to vancouver. we were hoping for one that hits the west coast and goes directly to Seattle (Disney was our first choice with the kids, but not the only one we are looking at). I am just kicking ourselves for not taking the 10% off on our last cruise now that we are actually planning another one.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

What time did the ship dock in Vancouver? I am on the 9am shuttle back to seattle and tend to be a tad bit worried about that.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #26
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneypeach View Post
hi there,
Peach

Friends of mine are still onboard, doing B2B coastal and Alaska. They were in the area next to the concierge group, and they're the ones who told me that there were people in the concierge waiting area who weren't in suites, so I just wondered, as did they, why the policy was different in LA than it usually is in PC.
Just curious.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #27
HeyyCali
Earning My Ears

We are on the repositioning cruise next year. I am SO looking forward to sailing under the golden gate bridge! Where would you recommend watching that? This is my first cruise so I am not very familiar with the layout of the ship.
HeyyCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #28
Tom and Denise
Earning My Ears

Absolutely....we did the Pixar cruise last October and we cruised under the GGB at about 6 am....it was totally worth it to see the sunrise
Tom and Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #29
Tom and Denise
Earning My Ears

Front of the ship...but go early, it gets crowded
Tom and Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #30
Disney Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
Sigh....

Your days spent in San Francisco sound heavenly!

My son attends college up there. We always try to enjoy the city when visiting.

Lovely, just WONDERful!
We had fun. DH's first time in SF and it's been a long time for me. We didn't want to be stuck on a tour bus and we pieced together a little plan that made for a fun two days and a taste of a great city. Yay for you that you get to visit when seeing your son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbugz View Post
Disney Dreams, did they have a special menu for Pixar Pals Party night?

Which night was the Animator's Palate show - 1st or 2nd in rotation?

TIA, Zbugz
Physically, it was a fun 3D menu with 3D glasses. As for the food, they said it was a special menu.

I just realized I took pics of the menus. Here you go...

(not blurry, it was 3D when viewed with the provided glasses)

This one's a bit blurry, but I think you can make most of it out.

Animator's Palette has its show night on the 2nd time you eat there. Funny you should ask because our 2nd time there was our night in SF and we did not think they would do the show that night since many did not return to the ship for dinner --- including ourselves. We were wrong. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerl30 View Post
We are actually only considering this cruise ...planning another one.
Ah, that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznLexi View Post
What time did the ship dock in Vancouver? I am on the 9am shuttle back to seattle and tend to be a tad bit worried about that.
I'm not sure what time we docked, but we cleared customs earlier than expected. The first people off were around 7:15am, based on announcements. However, are you doing an Alaskan cruise this season? That could be a completely different situation though as we were not coming from Alaska, but up the Coastline. We did Alaska out of Vancouver two years ago with DCL. Either way, a 9am shuttle would make me a bit nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyyCali View Post
We are on the repositioning cruise next year. I am SO looking forward to sailing under the golden gate bridge! Where would you recommend watching that? This is my first cruise so I am not very familiar with the layout of the ship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Denise View Post
Front of the ship...but go early, it gets crowded
I'm not so sure I would agree with the front of the ship. It really depends upon what you want, HeyyCali. I was at the very front when we came into San Fran at around 6:30am. The front of the ship is a great view and you can get some wonderful pictures of the bridge. However, if what you want is photos of the ship going under the bridge, further back (midship, maybe) would probably be better -- and not as crowded. I would definitely be on deck 10.

At 6:30am, they initially did not allow anyone up at the front of the ship. We were all back a bit behind a gate that is there. Then when the gate was opened - whoooooosh! - everyone flowed forward like lava rushing downhill! It was very windy and chilly. In the evening on the next night when we left SF it REALLY windy and very cold because of that wind.

When we cruised two years ago on the exact ship, we stood in the same spot sailing into Tracy Arm to approach the glacier and we were not as cold as we were in SF going under the bridge. It was probably because in AK we were all bundled up in sweaters and jackets and gloves vs SF where we were in lighter jackets and not so bundled up, but it was C O L D. Also the wind in the evening when we left was so strong that after we went under the bridge and I was trying to get some extra shots, I got blown backwards pretty strongly and decided it was time to go inside, a decision most had already made.

So as for "Where?" LOL, I think it depends on what you want. The view sailing in with nothing in front of you vs. the cool photograph of the ships' stacks going under the bridge.

HTH,
Dreams

Last edited by Disney Dreams; 06-01-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: