Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
butsy113
AKV Owner

Picky eaters in World Showcase

My kids are very picky! I really want to eat at some of the table service restaurants in World Showcase. I have looked at the menus on allears already. Do the restaurants have the regular stand bys of mac n cheese, PBJ? I know many restaurants have that stuff but its not on their menu.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Where are you considering eating and by picky what do you mean? It might help if we knew that to be more specific with our answers.
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
ars0525
DIS Veteran

My parents used to eat at Mexico when we were younger so my brother & I would ride the boat ride over & over & over & over.
Got my AP so visit whenever I can!

There's no crying at Disney
ars0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Laura
Wonders if the Tag Fairy takes requests?
Vegetarians unite!
Only uses the "best rigging"

Biergarten seems to work for picky eaters. It has stuff like mac n cheese on the buffet. There are some restaurants that serve pizza, pasta (and not just in the Italy pavilion), chicken fingers, hot dogs, etc. But it depends on the restaurant. If there is one or two you'd particularly like, it might be helpful to mention specific restaurants to find out what they serve kids.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
purple figment
DIS Veteran

There is no universal "every restaurant has items x and y" that are not on the menu. Since many of the WS restaurants are third party owned what they might have will vary even more and possibly reflect the cuisine of the country rather than be pb&j or mac and cheese.

Some people have found that it is easier to feed their children in advance. The only place this won't work is at Biergarten, since it is a buffet and everyone will be charged regardless of whether they eat anything or not. Fortunately, on a buffet there is usually something that will be acceptable to everyone.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If it's not on the menu, they probably don't have it available.

Biergarten has mac and cheese, at least they used to.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

The American Showcase has burgers, fries, chicken strips, etc. Just what the picky kids want. That's why we don't go there.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

If you've checked out the menus and they won't eat anything...Then I wouldn't choose that restaurant. I would never ask for special treatment from a server to go find something they don't serve. Yes, many people have done this and servers have gone above and beyond. But my take is - if you want mac n cheese, why not go someplace that serves it??

That said - you have many other options. If there is something they might eat that is on the menu - like pasta with sauce - you can ask for it special made - like without the sauce. OR Simply feed the kids before the meal at a CS place. Or just order them an appetizer or side order if they will eat that (and pay OOP). OR just let them order dessert while you eat a real meal. That way - everyone's happy but you're not asking for special treatment. We have one pretty picky eater but won't tailor our restaurants to her likes...She always seems to leave with something in her belly...Even has tried some new things because the standby's weren't on the menu.

Another option - the Italy TS places have pizza I believe...Most picky kids will eat that.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Another option - the Italy TS places have pizza I believe...Most picky kids will eat that.
Only Via Napoli has pizza. Tutto Italia doesn't. And it may not be the kind of pizza that American kids are used to...have seen that complaint here before.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
butsy113
AKV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymolmom View Post
Actually I think I have the only kid that doesn't eat pizza or spaghetti!

I have a reservation at Teppan Edo. I know the kids will be ok with the meat, but it will be a no for the noodles and rice. Mainly wondering more for the sides, they would love a small fruit bowl with some meat. Of course the meat is what costs the money so if they eat that I guess I'll be happy

I don't choose my reservations around them but if I'm paying for something I want them to eat it. Maybe I'll just plan on going next time with some girlfriends and leave the kids and DH (he's picky too) at home. I'm liking the sound of that a lot I don't think I can do anymore Disney buffets!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #11
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by butsy113 View Post

I have a reservation at Teppan Edo. I know the kids will be ok with the meat, but it will be a no for the noodles and rice. Mainly wondering more for the sides, they would love a small fruit bowl with some meat. Of course the meat is what costs the money so if they eat that I guess I'll be happy

I don't choose my reservations around them but if I'm paying for something I want them to eat it. Maybe I'll just plan on going next time with some girlfriends and leave the kids and DH (he's picky too) at home. I'm liking the sound of that a lot I don't think I can do anymore Disney buffets!
Tutto has mozzarella stix on the kids menu. Do they eat them? BTW. I am too picky for some, make that most WS restaurants. I ask for,sauces on the side and sub fries etc. I like Chefs. Can get things plain! Gonna try Teppan in Nov. Wish me luck! The mac n cheese at Lecellier and Chefs is not what a picky eater wants. IMO. Def not kraft mac n cheese!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:58 AM   #12
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by butsy113 View Post

They don't have fruit on the menu so that would be unlikely. They don't have sides like the Disney restaurants.

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #13
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

What about a Kid's Club for them while you enjoy dinner?
I agree with PP's. If it is not on the menu it is likely not even available in the kitchen.
Other than the basic requests like no sauce or sauce on the side, or subbing one available side for another available side, I do not think it is right to ask or expect them to prepare something special for you.
Good Luck
Old 05-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

I love Biergarten. They have german food & regular food like mac & chz & chicken as well. the salmon there was excellent too. You cannot miss the fun there

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on Boma's Banana Bread recipe & review!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
Minnie824
DIS Veteran

My kids are picky too but we've eaten at a lot of WS restaurants and they've found something to eat. We're trying San Angel this year, and they'll probably get a grilled chicken breast. We've done Biergarten, Tutto (my picky daughter LOVES the adult lasagne there), Via Napoli, Chefs de France, Marrakesh, Rose & Crown and Le Cellier. I think you can find something at least at each, no matter how picky. And if they won't eat much, have them get dessert and let them eat something else later. When we do counter service, we do France a lot for them...chocolate crepes or the croissants in the bakery.
Minnie824 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: