Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
MaggieMoo'sMom
Mouseketeer

What to do?

My 8-month old son was diagnosed with peanut, soy, and egg allergies today. I had previously not planned to take him to Disney with us in July, however, I am now reconsidering. Here are my problems:
1. We are doing DxDP and he is not on our reservations.
2. He does not require a ticket, thus would not be one the meal plan or be able to get specially prepared food.

Do I rework all of our reservations, adding him to our party, and pay for a child's ticket so he can get the dining plan and have food???
MaggieMoo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Foodallergymom
Earning My Ears

If you want him to eat off of your plate, it is very do-able if you are willing to eat "safe" foods. It is unlikely that he would eat enough to make it worth the cost of paying for an entire child's dining plan. I would just add his allergies to your existing reservation and then speak to the chef at each restaurant before ordering.
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Foodallergymom
Earning My Ears

Also, at his age, is he eating small enough amounts that it would be possible/convenient to just carry some safe food for him with you?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
MaggieMoo'sMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodallergymom View Post
Also, at his age, is he eating small enough amounts that it would be possible/convenient to just carry some safe food for him with you?
This is what I think I will do- My husband insists that he will still be okay ay my parents', which is what our previous plan was before today. We trust them and their decision making, it is that we will be 12 hours away.. I may just need to digest all this information. I never dreamed he would test positive for food allergies.
MaggieMoo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

I am not sure if your allergist talked to you yet about your son's allergies, but often times testing before 2 is not as accurate as having them tested at 2 or older. My son who is now 4 tested positive for the same 3 allergies when tested at around 7 months, and at 2 peanut is the only one that came up. I am sure you feel overwhelmed with his diagnosis, and are anxious to leave your little guy for any amount of time.
Even though your husband is fine leaving him, you are the only person who knows if leaving him will impact your ability to enjoy your trip. Every time I saw a baby while on vacation( and there will be babies at WDW) I would be calling constantly to check on mine.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

If you decide to take him, you also should try to rework your reservations for 3. It is not just an issue of him eating, it is the fact that everybody, even infants need to be counted. You will now need a table for big enough for 3, so he can be seated whether in a high chair or even his stroller.
As far as food, you can always order him his own food and pay OOP if you like or need to.
Good Luck with your decision
Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
kwdw
DIS Veteran

Umm, you need to go back and make all your reservations for three. Doesn't matter if he is eating or not, it's about space. Many two tops at Disney have no space around them for a high chair. Or space to put down a diaper bag. So, he'd have to be on your lap or they may even have to turn you away. Even if they did allow the three of you for a reservation for two, you may find yourself miserably cramped.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Eliza'sMom
Mouseketeer

If you take him, I definitely wouldn't pay for a ticket. A 10 months, my kids were just beginning to eat table foods. My youngest loved those baby food pouches, so that was a lot of what she ate even when we took her when she had just turned 1. You could always give him the things from your plate that are safe, and I'm sure if you want to order him something special and pay OOP, you can discuss it with your waiter and they will accommodate you. WDW is so good for food allergies that I'm sure you will be fine.

Our Disney trips together:
October 2005: Honeymoon at CSR December 2006: Got a pin code we couldn't resist and headed to POFQ June 2007: Big family vacation off-site December 2007: Babymoon at POFQ December 2009: Ellie's first trip, our first trip as DVC members at BWV April 2010: Mike's 30th and Ellie's 2nd birthday celebration at Pop/AKV September/October 2010: BWV for MNSSHP and Harry Potter April 2011: A week at Jambo House before Ellie turns 3 May 2012: Back to AKV for baby's 1st trip to Disney! Nov/Dec 2012: Our first Disney cruise! Plus AOA, BLT and BWV -- whew! October 2013: Fall fun at Jambo House March/April 2014: Spring break at BWV/VWL January 2015: AOA and BLT
Eliza'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
oneprincessjo
Mouseketeer

When my dd was close to 7 months old we included her in our meal reservations so she would have a space at the table, at that time she refused all food except for formula, we also packed our own baby food which she never wanted anything to do with anyway. My dd never really ate real food until about a year old but every baby is different. At 15 months old we were there again if you do any buffet or family style meals under 3 years old eat free. If you are ordering individual meals you can share with your baby without being charged extra, they will only charge you if you purchase a children's meal. When we took a big family trip with my nephew who has allergies, the chef would come out and let you know what is safe based on your concerns, they are very accommodating. Also do not purchase a park ticket for your baby under 3 is free.

Edit: by purchasing a child's park ticket to get the dining plan you would be spending WAY more than buying him meals out of pocket. For a full child's meal it's only about $9-$10. If you are just going to get little sides like a bowl of fruit you are only talking a couple bucks.

February 25th - March 1st 2008: Wilderness Lodge - Honeymoon and First EVER Disney World Trip!!!
November 28th - December 3rd 2010: Wilderness Lodge
February 26th - March 1st 2012: Bay Lake Tower
November 24th 2012: Old Key West
November 25th - 29th 2012: Bay Lake Tower
January 23rd 2014: Beach Club Villas
January 24th - 31st 2014: Bay Lake Tower

Last edited by oneprincessjo; 05-30-2013 at 08:19 PM.
oneprincessjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
Cobern
DIS Veteran

Is he already eating baby food and wanting table food? It not my DD did not get off baby food until she was a little over 1. My DS on the other hand refused baby food at 9 months.

I would just bring fruit cups/snacks for him that I knew were safe. I still do this with my almost 3 year old because I never know what she will want to eat.
May 2014 - Coronado Springs
May 2014 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge Studio
Cobern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

DH and I both have sensitivities and problems from being introduced to food FAR too early. It's the exact foods that we were fed that cause issues now.

Because of that, we delayed delayed delayed foods for DS. We were shooting for a year, but at 11 months he snagged an apple from me, took a bite, chewed it, and swallowed it. Had a flirtation with fruits for a short time, then stopped. Next time he was interested in foods was around 1.5 years old, and he started *slowly*.

I say, with those things being shown to be a problem, take some BIG steps back. An 8 month old's solid foods intake should, at max, be just tiny bits. If you're nursing or using formula (obviously an allergy one), just focus on that. If you're nursing and you have to change your diet (not all children are so allergic that the digested, going through your bloodstream, and into your milk bits of food will cause a problem), so be it.

It seems like it would be FAR easier to just take some steps back with the solids, which aren't necessary by ANY means at this point, and let his system grow some more.

My son is 9 now, eats tons of different sorts of foods. He's tall (above my shoulders), strong, and trim. Every so often he has a reaction to dairy (of course why we're eating foods made from milk made for baby cows I have NO idea), but other than that his only issue is non-food ingredients (corn syrup based ingredients). He shows no signs of environmental allergies, either (which is my main problem, made worse when my diet is cruddy).

I'm tremendously glad we waited waited and waited some more to introduce solids.

So I've been there done that with delaying solids, and it was far easier than avoiding xyz foods and hoping there's nothing hiding in a food I trust, so I highly recommend it, even if you, in your case, have to go back in time and change what you've been doing.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: