Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
MomoMama
Mouseketeer

Day 7 –Key West

Activities and Characters

Key West was not a must stop for us. We almost did not get off the ship, but decided to go get some key lime yummy. We rode the tram to the Mallory Square, then walked to Kermit’s Key West Key Lime Shoppie. We forgot to bring the map they give you on the ship, but the tram driver had maps and coupons for free water bottles. The Key Lime Shoppie had a nice courtyard with water features where you can sit and enjoy their key lime pie.

Before getting back on the tram, we stopped by the gift shop next to the tram stop. DD broke a necklace at the store (this is why I do not like to shop with a 3-year-old!!!). I told the store I would pay for the damaged merchandise along with another necklace I picked up, but they only charged for the one I was buying. The store name is Conch Tour Train 310, nice people, shop there!

In the afternoon I went back to the spa, while DH took DD to the pool. I bought a day pass again, and was charged for $16, the same price as the pre-purchased price. The spa was more crowded this time, but I was able to sit on the hot stone chair, which was really good for my sore back.

Before going to the show, we saw Pluto at the lobby. Pluto signed the autograph on his nose. I did not know he would do that.

CM said that was a trick Mickey taught him.

The show of the day was “Dreams.” You get to see many characters and DD absolutely loved it.

Before going to dinner, we saw Princess Tiana walking around the deck4, and we were able to get a quick picture with her.

After the dinner we saw Minnie again dressed in her gorgeous gown, since this was semi-formal night. The line was not long this time. If I had known I could have skipped the long line with Minnie on the formal night.

Then we saw Princess Tiana was still walking around the ship. This was when DD became Tiana’s stalker... DD walked up to her a couple of time to say Hi. When it was finally time for Princess Tiana to leave, she took DD’s hand and walked with her. This was another magical moment for DD, walking with a princess.

Mickey wearing tux was also available that night, with a short line.

Dining

I cannot really remember what we ate that day. At Key Lime Shoppie, we had a slice of Key Lime pie and DD had smoothie. I was happy that they had something DD could have.

At dinner they served lobster. I heard their lobster is dry and horrible, but it was not really that bad. Baked lobster is not as moist as steamed one, and that was expected. DH actually liked it and asked for another one.
MomoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #17
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoMama View Post

Then we saw Princess Tiana was still walking around the ship. This was when DD became Tiana’s stalker... DD walked up to her a couple of time to say Hi. When it was finally time for Princess Tiana to leave, she took DD’s hand and walked with her. This was another magical moment for DD, walking with a princess.

This is too funny! We didn't know it was your DD at the time, of course, but we had such fun watching her meet Tiana. We happened to be sitting in the Deck 4 chairs by the atrium relaxing when Tiana came around.

It was fun watching a little princess in a Cinderella dress run up to Tiana, come back to mom with a look of such excitement and happiness, then run back to Tiana, then back to mom with another look of sheer happiness! It was priceless!

My DS, who worked as a college program CM at WDW stated "This is what Disney is all about." So true. Seeing your DD so happy with Tiana sure made us smile!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
MomoMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post
This is too funny! We didn't know it was your DD at the time, of course, but we had such fun watching her meet Tiana. We happened to be sitting in the Deck 4 chairs by the atrium relaxing when Tiana came around.

It was fun watching a little princess in a Cinderella dress run up to Tiana, come back to mom with a look of such excitement and happiness, then run back to Tiana, then back to mom with another look of sheer happiness! It was priceless!

My DS, who worked as a college program CM at WDW stated "This is what Disney is all about." So true. Seeing your DD so happy with Tiana sure made us smile!
Happy to hear our DD made you smile!

Yes, we definitely experienced the "Disney Magic" AT age 3 DD believed she was meeting the real princesses, and the pure joy on her face was the reason we booked DCL...and the reason we are back at work to save up for another cruise!

Those unscheduled meetings were great! At the scheduled appearances, DD felt she "had to" get hugged and pose for the pictures. She enjoyed the interactions when she happened to meet them, without standing in the lines.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #19
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Quote:
Happy to hear our DD made you smile!

Those unscheduled meetings were great! At the scheduled appearances, DD felt she "had to" get hugged and pose for the pictures. She enjoyed the interactions when she happened to meet them, without standing in the lines.
The unscheduled meetings make for some of the best photos! On this cruise I loved catching Timon kicked back and relaxing in a chair on deck 4. We later caught him playing shuffleboard on the Promenade deck. I also got a kick out of Alice wandering around and stopping to admire a photo of the Magic on deck 3 by Studio Sea.

I love the photo I got of Goofy on a previous cruise laying in a lounger on the Promenade deck.

One of the fun parts of a Disney cruise for sure!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #20
starchild_217
Earning My Ears

You took amazing photos! Thank you for sharing!
starchild_217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #21
MomoMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post
The unscheduled meetings make for some of the best photos! On this cruise I loved catching Timon kicked back and relaxing in a chair on deck 4. We later caught him playing shuffleboard on the Promenade deck. I also got a kick out of Alice wandering around and stopping to admire a photo of the Magic on deck 3 by Studio Sea.

I love the photo I got of Goofy on a previous cruise laying in a lounger on the Promenade deck.

One of the fun parts of a Disney cruise for sure!
Oh, I did not get to see Timon! DD would have loved that... She got excited when she saw Timon and Pumba during the show.

I love it when I hear the characters were just relaxing on loungers... I did not get to see them doing that this cruise, but hoping for the next time!
Old 05-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
MomoMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild_217 View Post
You took amazing photos! Thank you for sharing!
Thanks for reading!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
MomoMama
Mouseketeer

Day 8 –Day at Sea

Activities and Characters

This day was our Character breakfast day. Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Chip, and Dale came to the table one by one. I was hoping to see Donald and Daisy, but they were not part of the character breakfast. They were all wearing colorful Hawaiian shirts.

We were limited to take only 2 pictures with each character. It took a while to have all the characters visit our table, so by the time we saw the last one DD was so ready to go.

The character dance party was held at the Lobby at 12:15pm. The characters came down the staircases and danced with the guests. The characters’ dance moves were very impressive! For us this was a lot more fun than the sail away party or the pirates’ party. The place was packed, but we got to dance with the characters close by, and they stayed with the guests for about 30 minutes.

We saw Chip and Dale at Lobby when we came out of Lumiere’s for lunch. There was no line, and DD got to see them. I think the interaction with Chip and Dale was the most fun among all characters. There were no more Shutters photographers standing by that day.

Then later we caught Goofy. DD got a little shy and Goofy tried to make her feel easy, but no success.

Somehow DD was always a little nervous around Goofy. Maybe because he was so tall??? I thought all the characters were short, but boy, Goofy was tall and skinny!

We were able to see the show, “Remember the Magic!” It was a very nice show, and I got teary eyes. Also we got to see a little bit of Scott Pepper the magician and Michael Harrison the ventriloquist. DD was too young to enjoy them, but I thought they were entertaining, especially the ventriloquist was funny.

‘Til We Meet Again party was at 10pm. This was great, not only the usual characters, but also we got to see some of the actors/dancers from the shows!
DD’s autograph book was missing the signs from Daisy, Donald, and Sticth, and she was able to get them all during this party.

After the party was over, there were pixie dusts left all over the staircases.

DD could not resist collecting some of them.

Dining

For the characters breakfast at Parrot Cay, we were able to pre-order GF&Egg-free waffles for DD the night before. Though they could not make GF waffle in Mickey shape, DD liked their waffles and liked them better than the pancakes.

Lunch at Lumiere’s, DD had a smoothie that came in a souvenir Belle cup. I do not know if kids souvenir cups were offered everyday, but this was the only time we heard from the waiter. I wish I had known earlier, and maybe DD could have collected different cups? The Belle cup is her favorite souvenir from the trip, and she loves using it at home.
We had a great waiter who can make a mouse out of a napkin, and DD loved it!

Our last dinner was at Animator’s Plate. DD had pasta with tomato sauce, her favorite meal during the cruise.

During the show all the chefs came out holding the flaming Baked Alaska dessert. Of course I had to have a piece of it.

I should have asked for a bigger slice.

Also we had Chocolate Decedents dessert brought back to our room. We asked for 1 plate, but our waiter gave us 2 plates. Our great waiter was Limbert.

The chocolate dessert was OK, but we should have had Mickey bar ice cream as our last dessert....
Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #24
MomoMama
Mouseketeer

Day 9 –Galveston

Dining

Since we had the second seating, we did not have to have the early breakfast. As we walked to the dining room, we saw the long lines in the lobby, so we took our time to eat our breakfast. But we left the dining room as soon as we were done eating, because CMs seem busy cleaning up.

Shutters
I knew I was not going to purchase their full CD, even before getting on the ship. I like taking pictures myself and did take plenty of the pictures. But there were times my camera’s flash failed to work (and why does that happen when you are on THE vacation!!???), and all I got was blurry pictures. I went to the Shutters and selected to buy 10 digital images for $150 two days earlier. I was told the CD would be ready the next day, but when I went to pick it up the next day (the last night of the cruise), CD was not ready. They said they had technical issues... So I had to go back the last morning, when there was a long line forming. At 8:30am I asked a Shutters personnel what time they were closing, and he said 8:30... well the line was so long they were still open at 9:30am.
I did check some of their prints during the cruise, though I had no intention of buying the prints. I am glad I did, because I noticed some of those professional photos were out of focus. In some of the photos we had our eyes closed. If you are used to professional photo sessions that the photographers would give you only the greatest images that they pre-selected and edited, you will be disappointed. I guess Shutters give you any and all photos they take, so the guests would feel they get their money’s worth. And when you view the Shutters CD, you can only view small images and you may not be able to tell if the photos are out of focus or you have funny faces, etc. You can enlarge the thumbnails slightly, but not large enough to see all the details. If you are unlocking only a limited number of the photos, this could be a problem.
After selecting my 10 images from the CD, I saw options to unlock additional images, $25 for 1 image, $100 for 5 images, and $250 for all images. On the ship the price for 20 images was $250, and all images was $350. The first 10 images was $150, so purchasing more images after the cruise costs you more.

Disembarkation

We did not have to worry about catching a flight or anything, so we just stayed on the ship till the lines are gone and then boarded off. At the port we skipped porter service and picked up our own luggage, since the line for the porter service was long.

We were off the ship and back in our car before 10:30am. We were planning to go to Galveston’s Pleasure Pier, but DD was sleepy. I guess after getting off the ship, all the excitement was gone and the little girl felt tired... So we just let her sleep in the car and drove back home.

I really wish DCL did not discontinue Galveston sailings. We cannot take another cruise this year, and wish we could sail again from Galveston next year. Oh, well... at least we were very lucky to be on this cruise, it was a MAGICal experience for all of us!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #25
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

Awesome trip report! I love seeing the Magic and can't wait to be on her in a few weeks!!! Do you happen to have a picture of that Belle cup? I have a feeling I will be asking about those.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #26
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Fantastic report. Your DD is adorable.

Jill in CO
Old 06-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #27
MomoMama
Mouseketeer

Belle Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincess4ever View Post
Awesome trip report! I love seeing the Magic and can't wait to be on her in a few weeks!!! Do you happen to have a picture of that Belle cup? I have a feeling I will be asking about those.
Here are the photos:

It is a plastic cup, cannot say it is a "high-quality" cup, but it does look like a gold cup when you are on Magic...well at least, to a 3-year-old At home DD loves to drink her milk in her Belle cup, with a straw
I wish Belle looked more like her in the movie, not the one from their princess-line merchandise, but oh well.

They also had Guston cup and they were serving chocolate smoothie in it.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #28
MomoMama
Mouseketeer

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Fantastic report. Your DD is adorable.

Jill in CO
Thank you!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #29
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Here are the photos:

It is a plastic cup, cannot say it is a "high-quality" cup, but it does look like a gold cup when you are on Magic...well at least, to a 3-year-old At home DD loves to drink her milk in her Belle cup, with a straw
I wish Belle looked more like her in the movie, not the one from their princess-line merchandise, but oh well.

They also had Guston cup and they were serving chocolate smoothie in it.
Cool that they now have these on the ships! These are the cups used in Gaston's tavern in Magic Kingdom! We have a set at home now after our April trip to WDW. We also have many, many of the other ones they used to use on the ships and this is waaay better! ... wonder what they now give the boys?

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #30
MomoMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasiesabound View Post
Cool that they now have these on the ships! These are the cups used in Gaston's tavern in Magic Kingdom! We have a set at home now after our April trip to WDW. We also have many, many of the other ones they used to use on the ships and this is waaay better! ... wonder what they now give the boys?
I did not know the same cups are used in Gaston's tavern!
And I assumed the Gaston cup was for the boys...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: