Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #46
luvmylatte
Mouseketeer

I tip anywhere from 2-5 a day depending on service. The ONLY time I did not tip was at CBR and our bathroom was left dirty and unswept. There was a huge dead spider in the corner of the bathroom that I pointed out to mousekeeping (no one in the room was brave enough to pick it up, but yes we showered with it....go figure). It sat there for days. Also they did not vacuum the room for a few days. My theory is "no cleanie, no tippie". Realistically a tip is given for good service or above and beyond service. If you do your job well you deserve a tip. Most jobs in the real world do not work that way ( I don't get tips because I type an awesome memo for my boss) so it should be earned. I also tip the man who brings and takes my luggage or brings a package to my room from the front desk. Use your best judgement on when and how much.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #47
Lita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
I also had never heard of tipping housekeeping in a hotel until reading boards like these. We never have, but I would consider it if someone went above and beyond.
Same with me. I travel fairly often for work and have never heard of anyone tipping housekeeping at a hotel until coming To this board. Granted, I am much neater when traveling alone than with my family.

We just left WDW today and did leave a nice tip for our mouse keeper since we were so messy. We met her in the hallway on our way out and handed it to her. We had the same person for our entire stay.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #48
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

We don't tip, but we put out the "do not disturb" sign every day because we don't see the need for having the room cleaned constantly when we are barely there. We clean up after ourselves as far as trash, spills, etc. go. The mousekeepers have usually left new toiletries and clean towels in a bag on the doorknob for us. I guess things might be different whenever we have kids to travel with, I don't know. If I utilized the mousekeeping services every day, I might feel the need to tip.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #49
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Yep...that's a good post, full of good info.

Disney does not consider it's housekeeping dept to be a tipped position. They do not expect their housekeepers to be tipped. Housekeepers are not poorly paid at WDW. In fact, they are actually paid more than my 34 y/o dd was when she was a preschool/daycare teacher!!

You will actually find some housekeepers who will not take the tip. I have, upon getting really excellent care, left a tip. That tip sat there for the entire stay!! I asked the housekeeper about it..she was appalled. Said she didn't accept tips for doing her job the best way she knew how. I did go to the front desk and let them know about this special CM!!

When someone comes in, empties the trash, and replaces towels and toiletries, I don't see the need to pay them extra. They are in my room for, maybe, 8 mins. If that housekeeper has, let's say, 10 rooms to do each day (but it's most likely a lot more obviously). If each room had a $5 tip in it, each day, that would mean that housekeeper is getting $50 a day in just tips. Times 5? $250 a week just in tips!! Add that to the, average, $11 an hour they get??? (could be less but is also likely to be more depending on how long they've been there). That's $440!! Now, we have $440 plus tips. I know where I want to work when I retire to Orlando and work for WDW!!!

Yes, some of these housekeepers work very hard. Others? Not so much. I have come into a room being readied for me (DVC and had been told the room was now ready), only to find a housekeeper sitting on the couch, watching TV, with her mop next to her, on the floor!!! There was trash on the master floor, behind a table in the living room and the toilet didn't flush!!! And you know what she told us??? She was hanging out there for a bit until her shift finished!!! I have returned to my 'regular' resort room at 3pm only to find it not made up yet!! I watched, from a distance, as the housekeeper finally got to our room, spent about 20 mins in there. Now.....the beds had already been made, there was nothing to clean. We had left our towels hanging up since we don't mind reusing them (trying to be green!!), and the vanity is always swiped down in the morning!!! So, what the heck was she doing in there for 20 mins?? When I got to the room, I certainly couldn't figure it out either. The vanity hadn't been touched...the swipe marks I had left behind were still there. There were new towels hanging up, even though we hadn't wanted them, and there were no new soaps and shampoo left, even though we had used what had been originally left! Go figure.

Yes, there are some wonderful housekeepers out there at WDW. They are not all as I described above. I have had great service there...mostly all the time in fact. I would much rather have something nice and complimentary put into a housekeepers employment file...much longer lasting than the few dollars I might leave each day!!

Oh, and towel animals are not dependent on tipping. I have tipped and had no TAs. I haven't tipped and had many TAs. It's pretty much the luck of the draw..

Please, don't misunderstand me....I think there are times when housekeepers have to deal with some really nasty stuff. I have seen some rooms look like cavemen have stayed there...with cows and sheep, and had huge parties, with no cleanup. I can't imagine what these CMs go through. But I'll be darned if I pay the price for some animals. I leave my room nice and tidy.
If you want to tip, go right ahead. I'm sure your housekeeper will love it. I just want to be sure everyone realizes what Disney will tell you if you ask. They do not consider housekeeping to be a tipped position. Bell Services? Yes. Valet? Yes. Tour guides? Yes. Servers? Yes.
If you feel better when tipping, that's fine.
My position as well. If we leave a big mess (which we don't) or require extra service, I will leave a tip.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #50
BuddyThomas
Mouseketeer

I've never heard of not tipping housekeeping, so many of the responses on this board are absolutely incredible to me. A buck a day (at the very least) is not going to kill anyone. Disney doesn't even charge a daily resort fee like many hotels do now, including Swan and Dolphin. I guess it all comes down to empathy, or lack thereof. If someone is scrubbing my toilet, they are getting a tip.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #51
alisha123
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyThomas View Post
I've never heard of not tipping housekeeping, so many of the responses on this board are absolutely incredible to me. A buck a day (at the very least) is not going to kill anyone. Disney doesn't even charge a daily resort fee like many hotels do now, including Swan and Dolphin. I guess it all comes down to empathy, or lack thereof. If someone is scrubbing my toilet, they are getting a tip.
I believe in tipping a dollar or 2 a day but as far as someone scrubbing my toilet, that's the job they chose to apply for and do for a living
Old 05-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #52
BuddyThomas
Mouseketeer

Like I said, it's about empathy, or lack thereof.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #53
MeeskaMomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemepech View Post
Just curious if any of you tip house keeping and how much per day. Just a little debate were if people still due. I say yes but some say no. Just curious if any of you have any input.
We tipped $5 a day. I had read that was customary, but after reading this thread I guess others would disagree

Mousekeeping at our resort did a really great job. They would arrange DS's animals in a funny way and made neat creatures out of the towels. I posted some pictures here:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=12

I also left a thank you note to tell them how much DS enjoyed seeing his animals do funny things and the towel creatures. I had DS help decorate the thank you note with stickers. When he gets older I plan to have DS help more with the thank you notes. I think if you work in hospitality it is probably nice to see that your extra efforts are appreciated. Just like in any other job a little thank you is appreciated irregardless of salary.

I read about another mom who prints pre written thank you's for her kids to pass out to CMs going above and beyond. She said it keeps everyone positive because they are on the look out for good deeds. I think this is a brilliant idea!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #54
Simba's Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Please tell my family this. I would love a tip every time I cleaned the toilet. I'm sure it means they don't love me...

All joking aside, we usually don't tip unless circumstances require. No one is being forced to clean my potty. If the kids make a big mess, then sure. Like others on here, never heard of it till I saw it on the dis.

Our August '13 LIVE!!! TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3154496
Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #55
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Like I said, it's about empathy, or lack thereof.
How empathetic are you of the CMs who clean the rest rooms at the theme parks or water parks? I believe I read on the official Disney website that they make less than the housekeepers.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #56
Jenna319
DIS Veteran

Agree, never tipped housekeeping and never heard of it before. We usually rent DVC points where we don't get daily housekeeping.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #57
Disney2013Girl
Mouseketeer

I planned on a couple of dollars a day if we used HK, more if there was a big mess, less if we didn't use them. Really, $3/day is going to break the bank? Not here, it's figured into the budget under the line item: Tipping.

Well, this could be interesting (An October 2013 PTR)

DS: 11/2010
Married to my Leading Man since 10/2006
Belated DL Honeymoon 5/2008
First Family trip to WDW 10/2013
Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #58
AshleyD1983
Mouseketeer

We do not tip housekeeping. We are incredibly clean, and I am constantly picking up our own room.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #59
smrand
Earning My Ears

We always tip at any hotel we stay at. We usually leave $1 per person per day. For our last trip we decorated envelopes and had the money already in them. I simply work that into our budget for every trip we take. I am also surprised that people don't tip on a normal basis. Especially the business travelers. Maybe it's a Southern thing but we do it here and everyone I know does it.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #60
MeeskaMomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrand View Post
Maybe it's a Southern thing but we do it here and everyone I know does it.

That may just be it
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: