Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #1576
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post
I absolutely agree with this. If Disney can offer "additional FP+" during certain times of the year, why offer something that costs them money? This opens the possibility of FP+ as the carrot to get you to stay onsite during slower times. No need to discount rooms or offer free food. After the initial rollout of limited FP+, offering to double or triple the amount during certain times of the year is a no-brainer. This also fits in perfectly with the terms and conditions regarding the number of FP+ available....that it will vary depending on time of year, park population, etc.
100% agree
Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #1577
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post

I don't get your argument for these rides over the Harry Potter attractions at Universal. You say that there will be no Harry Potter books and movies so that interest will wane, yet you have no trouble saying that IASW, Pirates, HM and BTMRR have complete staying power.
Because they aren't based on a tween book that was popular for a total of 15 years? Because they've been mainstays of the most popular theme park in the world for 30 years?

Besides, that was my response when the PP asked if there were 20 year old rides that draw people to WDW...and those were the responses off of the top of my head? Had nothing to do with comparing them to Universal.

I'm not saying Potter-world/Ville/Land isn't the Bee's knees. But everyone points to that is an example of "how much better Universal is doing in Disney at everything." My original point was, and remains, that Harry Potter, the phenomenon, will evaporate as being such a big deal. Right now it is a very big deal, because there is a huge age group that grew up with the Potter books and movies. Those people get older and their children will probably not have the same fascination. Therefore as someone said before, Universal will have the option in 20 years of tearing the whole thing down and putting something new there. But Disney doesn't have to do that. Their rides have staying power as evidenced by the several I listed earlier that are still favorites and have been there for 30 years.

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #1578
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4under4 View Post
I agree that a key to staying relevant is to constantly add/improve upon what is there. US seems to really get this.

For Disney, that doesn't necessarily mean whole new lands, but even little things matter. I remember being struck by how dated the uniforms in Dinoland looked the last time we were there, and how amused my kids are by CoP's "futuristic" final scene. And while I'm listing things that don't make a lot of sense, why is WDW willing to just abandon infrastructure rather than re-purpose it? (River Country for example).

It seems to me that there is a lot of money being spent on a very narrow focus, and that Disney is willing to rest on it's laurels for everything else. Well, my family is unique, as are all of your families. Trying to force us into a certain way of vacationing isn't going to work. It's going to make us not bother coming back until they get a clue.
All families are indeed unique. What appeals to some is going to be totally skipped by another. Here I am thinking NFL. Not interested. No little girls and I, myself was never a "princess person". I have three grown daughters who were not princess people either. They were Star Wars people. Two of them have sons and are looking forward to their trips to DL/CA to see Carsland. I will probably ride the mine train but the movie is so old I doubt I'll remember any of it to compare. I'll walk through NFL to see the theming since I enjoy art but....

What else is Disney currently spending $ on?...Disney Springs. A shopping and restaurant venue that has already seen a number of iterations and is not even part of the parks.

Avatarland? So far they have spent money moving stuff out of the way.

I happened to be in California last summer to visit one of my daughters. Since I was there, I spent a day each at DL/CA and USH. Carsland RSR was down the entire day. I park hopped and used FP to see some headliners. We happened to score a walk-in for Blue Bayou and then we were out of there. AT USH, we got to see Transformers before it made it to FL as well as every headliner ride purchasing Express Pass. It was great.

I think the way Disney will monetize FP+ is to use it as an incentive in place of room discounts and free dining once everyone gets used to the idea of limited FP.

As for attractions, I am confused. Hopefully there is some big announcement coming down the road that will blow us away. So far, the big announcements are coming from other parks.
agavegirl1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #1579
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post
Because they aren't based on a tween book that was popular for a total of 15 years? Because they've been mainstays of the most popular theme park in the world for 30 years?

Besides, that was my response when the PP asked if there were 20 year old rides that draw people to WDW...and those were the responses off of the top of my head? Had nothing to do with comparing them to Universal.

I'm not saying Potter-world/Ville/Land isn't the Bee's knees. But everyone points to that is an example of "how much better Universal is doing in Disney at everything." My original point was, and remains, that Harry Potter, the phenomenon, will evaporate as being such a big deal. Right now it is a very big deal, because there is a huge age group that grew up with the Potter books and movies. Those people get older and their children will probably not have the same fascination. Therefore as someone said before, Universal will have the option in 20 years of tearing the whole thing down and putting something new there. But Disney doesn't have to do that. Their rides have staying power as evidenced by the several I listed earlier that are still favorites and have been there for 30 years.
When I was young, I was fascinated by the OZ books written by Frank Baum. I read every one of them in the Library. Literature is far more timeless than movies. Fifty something years after the Wizard of OZ comes OZ the Great and Powerful. In between came several versions of the OZ stories. Who is to say that works of literature have no staying power. My six year old grandson received the full set of Harry Potter books for Christmas (at his mom's request). My kids and grandkids are all familiar with the Laura Ingalls Wilder series as well. Book series geared toward kids will still have an audience...maybe even a really big one.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #1580
doggydoc
It's not a midlife crisis I'm just a car enthusiast.....honest

Quote:
When I was young, I was fascinated by the OZ books written by Frank Baum. I read every one of them in the Library. Literature is far more timeless than movies. Fifty something years after the Wizard of OZ comes OZ the Great and Powerful. In between came several versions of the OZ stories. Who is to say that works of literature have no staying power. My six year old grandson received the full set of Harry Potter books for Christmas (at his mom's request). My kids and grandkids are all familiar with the Laura Ingalls Wilder series as well. Book series geared toward kids will still have an audience...maybe even a really big one.
And when was Lord of the Rings written? Seems to be a franchise that is still doing well.

Edited to add: And Disney themselves seem to think that books written decades ago are worth keeping alive, hence the much maligned John Carter (which I personally enjoyed because I read the books as a kid).
Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #1581
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggydoc View Post
And when was Lord of the Rings written? Seems to be a franchise that is still doing well.

Edited to add: And Disney themselves seem to think that books written decades ago are worth keeping alive, hence the much maligned John Carter (which I personally enjoyed because I read the books as a kid).
Between 1937 and 1949...before Disneyland.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #1582
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:

So why don't you think the Forbidden Journey will have staying power? It is based upon fantasy, with dragons and giants and boogey men and magic wands and spells. None of those things go out of style. Even if the names of the characters aren't familiar, the ride still works. There are tons of people who know nothing about Harry Potter and think that the entire area and ride are fantastic.

Have you ever been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter? Many of the things you are praising in the rides in WDW are very similar to elements in many of Universal's rides.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #1583
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

Quote:

So why don't you think the Forbidden Journey will have staying power? It is based upon fantasy, with dragons and giants and boogey men and magic wands and spells. None of those things go out of style. Even if the names of the characters aren't familiar, the ride still works. There are tons of people who know nothing about Harry Potter and think that the entire area and ride are fantastic.

Have you ever been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter? Many of the things you are praising in the rides in WDW are very similar to elements in many of Universal's rides.
...my point is that I'm not going to trek all the way to USF, cab-car-hotel-tickets, etc, for two days just to go to see Harry Potter. I'm sure it's very cool and I'm sure the books were amazing. I don't go places for one attraction. Right now, HP is a huge draw. I don't think it will be as amazing or crowd-inducing once the novelty has worn off a bit.
But frankly, I don't really care. It's nearly 10pm, so I'll leave it at my usual go-to statement: please visit USF/IoA. For days and days and days. Do NOT go to WDW, esp. In mid-July or for F&W in November. :-)

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #1584
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Darn! I broke my own rule! I'm supposed to stay on topic FP+ and Magic Bands and I got sucked in. My own fault. Well, thanks Michigan DVC. It was a lively discussion but it was off topic.

Last edited by agavegirl1; 05-30-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #1585
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:

...my point is that I'm not going to trek all the way to USF, cab-car-hotel-tickets, etc, for two days just to go to see Harry Potter. I'm sure it's very cool and I'm sure the books were amazing. I don't go places for one attraction. Right now, HP is a huge draw. I don't think it will be as amazing or crowd-inducing once the novelty has worn off a but.
Fwiw we went to UO for HP. Decided to do it right and planned to spend 4 days there. Fell in LOVE. We don't even ride everything but live the place madly. You might think that all you would like is HP but you might be surprised.

As for rides based on things that seem like a flash in the pan, remember wdw just had star wars weekends.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #1586
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Darn! I broke my own rule! I'm supposed to stay on topic FP+ and Magic Bands and I got sucked in. My own fault. Well, thanks Michigan DVC. It was a lively discussion but it was off topic.
The discussion about Universal really isn't off topic. When we are discussing the pros and cons of FP+, one of the cons is that many people would prefer that WDW take the route that Universal is taking. Dissecting those options of adding or not adding new rides is part of the discussion as a whole.

It is interesting to listen to those people who prefer never to set foot out of WDW, think other parks have nothing that would interest them and love the nostalgia instead of new attractions. Those people may love Fastpass+. Others who have ventured out to other places and have experienced what other parks have to offer, may prefer that WDW spend their money in a different manner.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #1587
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

Fwiw we went to UO for HP. Decided to do it right and planned to spend 4 days there. Fell in LOVE. We don't even ride everything but live the place madly. You might think that all you would like is HP but you might be surprised.

As for rides based on things that seem like a flash in the pan, remember wdw just had star wars weekends.
So did I. Turns out they have other attractions there too.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #1588
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post

100% agree
I guess I can see the idea behind this but FD is offered at slower times of year. Why would more FP+ be needed?
I, for one, will not pay the outrageous rack rates so I can have couple extra FP+. I am very nervous our Wdw vacations are numbered after all I have been reading. So sad.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #1589
PrincessArlena'sDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymagicgirl View Post
I guess I can see the idea behind this but FD is offered at slower times of year. Why would more FP+ be needed?
I, for one, will not pay the outrageous rack rates so I can have couple extra FP+. I am very nervous our Wdw vacations are numbered after all I have been reading. So sad.
Assuming this is the plan, if extra FP+ is enough to fill the resort's - or at least bring in as much revenue as FD - then FD will go away. If resort's stay empty as people wait for FD then the discounts will continue.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #1590
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The discussion about Universal really isn't off topic. When we are discussing the pros and cons of FP+, one of the cons is that many people would prefer that WDW take the route that Universal is taking. Dissecting those options of adding or not adding new rides is part of the discussion as a whole.

It is interesting to listen to those people who prefer never to set foot out of WDW, think other parks have nothing that would interest them and love the nostalgia instead of new attractions. Those people may love Fastpass+. Others who have ventured out to other places and have experienced what other parks have to offer, may prefer that WDW spend their money in a different manner.
Thank you damo, I actually did do 4 nights and 5 days at US/IOA when my two youngest were teens. This was because I wanted to go BTW. Everyone had a great time and that was BEFORE Harry Potter. I went on a split trip between Disney and US/IOA after Harry Potter sans kids. Loved it. Last year I visited DD24 in California where she is studying to become an animator and went to DL/CA and USH. I am a theme park fan and frequently check updates online for ALL theme parks in the US and overseas. I must admit, Disney seems to be doing more in Hong Kong and Shanghai than they are doing here. Here, we get a 1BN investment in tech and there they get new rides.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: