Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #1561
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Yeah. Attractions are a main reason I go to Florida in general. People might argue that the general theming and other aspects are important too, but its pretty pointless if I'm stuck in an hour long line and can't enjoy these other aspects because I refused to schedule my rides in advance, or couldn't.

Also, I couldn't help smiling at 'FP Super user' under your username
I'd like to believe we have our FP coordination down to a science without locking us into a ride by ride touring plan. I really hate waiting in lines.

I also think in the Universal vs. Disney discussion, people are kidding themselves if you don't think we'll see a Star Wars land within the next 5 years. It makes too much sense. Far more than Avatarland does. Especially with new movies planned, Star Wars has far more potential than anything Universal has done or will do with Harry Potter.

In my opinion, Star Wars land in a park at WDW is a lock. It's just a matter of when they do it.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #1562
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Also, I couldn't help smiling at 'FP Super user' under your username
LOL, I totally missed that.

Nice touch WillAustin!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #1563
dwheaton
Mouseketeer

I'm 37 years old and had a great time at US and IOA when we went last year. I loved the Harry Potter books and can't wait to see what they do with Diagon Alley. When you add that to the Transformers ride, Despicable Me, and the Simpsons land, that park is going to be completely different and a must-see. I already love The Mummy and Men in Black there.

Now looking at Disney, what am I excited about that's coming? I'd love to go to California to see Cars Land, but the cost of plane tickets for our family is too high. We can drive to Florida in a little over a day for a reasonable price, so that's the focus.

I'm a huge Disney World fan and love going to the parks. There's nothing like visiting the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT. However, I bring up the attractions from Universal because I also love great new attractions. Disney has decided that their parks don't need to grow and they can focus on other revenue streams.

For me, this isn't just about FP+ and those changes. Disney has spent money and time focusing on Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom and other games, themed parties, and upcharge experiences like the Pirates and Princesses experiences. They aren't bringing out new attractions. I still plan to go to Disney World with my family, but I can't say that I'll go as often or for as long if these changes are really in place. These parks are a lot of fun, but they need to actually make some new experiences to make it as exciting.

I also feel the attractions are amazing enough and don't need jarring personal experiences thrown into them. Disney is miscalculating on the importance of forced "magic" and not on delivering that fun in the entire attractions. My daughter loved meeting Mickey and Belle. She doesn't need them to call her by name. That shouldn't be the focus when there are plenty of areas that need work.

I know the $1B is a sunk cost, and Disney should treat it that way if the system doesn't work. They'd get a much greater bang for their buck by going into EPCOT and redoing Wonders of Life, Energy, and Imagination. Then they can put Pixar and Star Wars attractions in the Hollywood Studios. Those would be huge draws, and they could even raise ticket prices to cover them! I don't get it.
dwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #1564
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

I agree with the suggestions for improvement.

But they aren't thinking the $1B is gone forever. They will get it to work eventually, and then they will try to make their money back (and more) by charging a little bit more here and there, reducing discounts, etc. JMO.

They definitely didn't build it so Mickey could say a kid's name.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #1565
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAustin View Post
In my opinion, Star Wars land in a park at WDW is a lock. It's just a matter of when they do it.
I hope you are right. I am in my mid 40s, so the original movies/characters are among my all time favorites.
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #1566
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
I agree with the suggestions for improvement.

But they aren't thinking the $1B is gone forever. They will get it to work eventually, and then they will try to make their money back (and more) by charging a little bit more here and there, reducing discounts, etc. JMO.

They definitely didn't build it so Mickey could say a kid's name.
Precisely. Much as they would like to convince you otherwise, they do things for the ultimate goal of money. It's a factor in every business, and it has always been a factor to varying extents. It always will be.

If they do not get it through this, they will get it somehow.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #1567
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But I'm pretty sure they already try to maximize all of those things as much as possible anyway. If they could fill resort rooms with fewer discounts, they would be doing it already. Regardless of their need to make up for the $1B investment in this technology.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #1568
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If they do not get it through this, they will get it somehow.
I don't doubt they'll make it back. Even if it's just through selling charms and designer Magicbands. But I think they had far bigger plans than just breaking even.

Last edited by mom2rtk; 05-30-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #1569
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

[QUOTE="damo;48546389"]

In the next 20 years, new rides will be coming out. What does it matter if Harry Potter is the not the main draw in 20 years? What 20 year old ride at WDW is the major reason for people coming to WDW?/QUOTE]

IASW, Pirates, HM, BTMRR? Those are just rides, not "attractions" or things like Main Street, Cinderella Castle, World Showcase, a favorite resort (Poly), etc... In fact, it's mostly the old rides that keep me coming back! Do you know how devastated I was when Mr. Toad's... closed?!

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #1570
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=MichiganDVC;48546978]
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post

In the next 20 years, new rides will be coming out. What does it matter if Harry Potter is the not the main draw in 20 years? What 20 year old ride at WDW is the major reason for people coming to WDW?/QUOTE]

IASW, Pirates, HM, BTMRR? Those are just rides, not "attractions" or things like Main Street, Cinderella Castle, World Showcase, a favorite resort (Poly), etc... In fact, it's mostly the old rides that keep me coming back! Do you know how devastated I was when Mr. Toad's... closed?!
Well, enough said.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #1571
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I don't doubt they'll make it back. Even if it's just through selling charms and designer Magicbands. But I think they had far bigger plans than just breaking even.
Plus it is spread over 10 parks worldwide. $100 mil wont even cover 45 minutes of making John Carter.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #1572
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
But I'm pretty sure they already try to maximize all of those things as much as possible anyway. If they could fill resort rooms with fewer discounts, they would be doing it already. Regardless of their need to make up for the $1B investment in this technology.
Oh definitely, I agree, they try to maximize as much as possible now. But this will be a whole new host of products to sell, from band upgrades and accessories (which I think will be HUGE), to selling things that were previously free (FP and fireworks/show/parade spots). And who knows what else. Limitless once it's up and running well.

I also think this will be the final nail in the coffin for Free Dining and room discounts, which will could save them money.

I don't know if they will make the $1billion back, but they are going to try...
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #1573
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post
I don't get your argument for these rides over the Harry Potter attractions at Universal. You say that there will be no Harry Potter books and movies so that interest will wane, yet you have no trouble saying that IASW, Pirates, HM and BTMRR have complete staying power.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #1574
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh definitely, I agree, they try to maximize as much as possible now. But this will be a whole new host of products to sell, from band upgrades and accessories (which I think will be HUGE), to selling things that were previously free (FP and fireworks/show/parade spots). And who knows what else. Limitless once it's up and running well.

I also think this will be the final nail in the coffin for Free Dining and room discounts, which will could save them money.

I don't know if they will make the $1billion back, but they are going to try...
I absolutely agree with this. If Disney can offer "additional FP+" during certain times of the year, why offer something that costs them money? This opens the possibility of FP+ as the carrot to get you to stay onsite during slower times. No need to discount rooms or offer free food. After the initial rollout of limited FP+, offering to double or triple the amount during certain times of the year is a no-brainer. This also fits in perfectly with the terms and conditions regarding the number of FP+ available....that it will vary depending on time of year, park population, etc.
agavegirl1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #1575
4under4
DIS Veteran

I agree that a key to staying relevant is to constantly add/improve upon what is there. US seems to really get this.

For Disney, that doesn't necessarily mean whole new lands, but even little things matter. I remember being struck by how dated the uniforms in Dinoland looked the last time we were there, and how amused my kids are by CoP's "futuristic" final scene. And while I'm listing things that don't make a lot of sense, why is WDW willing to just abandon infrastructure rather than re-purpose it? (River Country for example).

It seems to me that there is a lot of money being spent on a very narrow focus, and that Disney is willing to rest on it's laurels for everything else. Well, my family is unique, as are all of your families. Trying to force us into a certain way of vacationing isn't going to work. It's going to make us not bother coming back until they get a clue.

Me & DH plus our gang: DS13 DS11 DD/DS9

4under4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: