Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #1546
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,866

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I too believe that testing was a precursor to all of this.

But I don't think they've done a test yet where traditional FP was limited in any way to those participating in the test. It sounds to me like they are making assumptions that might not be indicative of how people will behave in real world execution. If I had the option of parade or fireworks viewing, I might have considered it. But ONLY if my other ride FP options remained unchanged. And while we don't know yet if there will be same-day FP options, I do think it's a safe assumption it will not be at all like the test (where you could continue to pull as many fastpasses for headliners as ever before.)
That has always been one of my main beefs with the tests. What I choose to use the "bonus" for when I can use the old system as normal will be affected - say, the parade viewing instead of Space Mountain. If I instead have limited choices overall, I may choose very different things. So if they are inferring that the parade is popular based on previous tests, yet they are going to severely limit FP+ choices, their premise is invalid.
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #1547
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran
 
BebopBaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: just a pilgrim traveling through
Posts: 1,872

I'm sure I missed it somewhere as I've been trying to follow along. I keep reading folks saying that there will only be 3 FP+ and maybe per park, or total... anyways..can someone direct me to the exact source of that information? I keep reading it as if it is official, but I haven't seen the official mentioning of it.
Thanks!
__________________
"Don't spend all your time looking around for something you want that can't be found. When you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bear necessities of life will come to you."

Psalm 27:1
BebopBaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #1548
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 79,081

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post
- those who are soaking in the Parade or ride experience may get distracted by a non-stop string of "hello Bobby, hello Suzie, hello Cindy, hello Juan, hello File Not Found.
We have some pertinent info regarding the "Personalized Digital Interaction."
(PDI, "Public Displays of Interaction?")

Consider the initial reaction on the WDW fan sites when they unveiled the new Spaceship Earth with the screen-grabs of guests' faces paste onto the cartoony finale of the ride.

It was judged as underwhelming (many HATED it) among many of the Disney fans.

But, you just don't hear much about it anymore.
__________________
.


.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #1549
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....
 
MichiganDVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Detroit-ish
Posts: 1,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBama View Post
Books like Harry Potter may not be timeless, but this series will certainly be relevant for many decades to come. Just as children that like science fiction still enjoy Ender's Game, so will those who prefer fantasy like Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings series. This series has more readers than any other in HISTORY, and more copies are sold every day. So far, more than 450 million copies have been sold (half again more than any other book series), and it has been printed in 67 different languages.

Consider that the NY Times changed the way that it manages its Best Sellers list TWICE because of the Harry Potter books. Why? Because the books dominated the top spots on its lists for too long. After more than 18 months holding at least the top 3 spots, the NY Times added a children's books category to make room for other novels. But the Harry Potter books similarly dominated that list, so they soon created a "series" list under children's books.

For more than a decade, the Harry Potter books dominated book sales all over the world. I think it is here to stay, and that our grandchildren, and great grandchildren will love the books as much as our children (and many of us) did.
You do know, of course, that there are nearly 7 billion people on earth now right? So I do not doubt that Harry Potter series was one of the if not the best selling book series of all time. However, by sheer numbers there are simply more people on earth and especially in the last 20 years, more people who have contact with United States and Western media to be able to have access to their works than ever before. So, I wonder how much of the sales had to do with the delivery of books through the Internet through things like Kindle? And if not Kindle, just social media and the ability to deliver information about things like Harry Potter series across the globe. It's never happened before in all of history!!

My point is, and I think will find this in the next 25 years, is that with the spread of information across the globe and the quickness by which it travels through social media, our world is about to become a mile wide and an inch deep. I am afraid that the next Harry Potter-like series is just around the corner and another couple hundred million people in the world will buy those too, and then a few months later be on to the next series after that. These don't necessarily have to be good books, just popular... and they will sell hundreds of millions of copies because there are several billion people the world who can access them now.

So either the Harry Potter series was revolutionary in all of the history of literature or it's going to fade out with time like all the other generational works to do. I'm not saying kids absolutely will not read HP 20 years from now.., I'm saying they probably won't trek to central Florida to see Harry Potter land.
__________________





1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #1550
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,679

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
The proposed three a day matches my personal touring style really well, I would certainly volunteer to test the new system at the exclusion of the other on my next trip in June. I would wager there are thousands of others who would too, particularly if it meant getting to fp attractions no one else can (like ETwB).
Some will love the new system, and some will hate it. Personally, if they limited me to 3 FPs/day and only 1 or 2 of them headliners, I would probably stop going to WDW. This from a man who has averaged 22 days in WDW each year for the last 13 years.
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #1551
hollygolitely93
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
We have some pertinent info regarding the "Personalized Digital Interaction."
(PDI, "Public Displays of Interaction?")

Consider the initial reaction on the WDW fan sites when they unveiled the new Spaceship Earth with the screen-grabs of guests' faces paste onto the cartoony finale of the ride.

It was judged as underwhelming (many HATED it) among many of the Disney fans.

But, you just don't hear much about it anymore.
Never knew the before version and we adore the photos...campy! Just shows change is sometimes harder than new...
__________________
Disney 2012 Family of 10 Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAUFuetpw9kor for itoys:http://vimeo.com/59235670
hollygolitely93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #1552
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,679

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post
So either the Harry Potter series was revolutionary in all of the history of literature or it's going to fade out with time like all the other generational works to do. I'm not saying kids absolutely will not read HP 20 years from now.., I'm saying they probably won't trek to central Florida to see Harry Potter land.
We shall see. I'm betting on Harry.
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #1553
hollygolitely93
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post
You do know, of course, that there are nearly 7 billion people on earth now right? So I do not doubt that Harry Potter series was one of the if not the best selling book series of all time. However, by sheer numbers there are simply more people on earth and especially in the last 20 years, more people who have contact with United States and Western media to be able to have access to their works than ever before. So, I wonder how much of the sales had to do with the delivery of books through the Internet through things like Kindle? And if not Kindle, just social media and the ability to deliver information about things like Harry Potter series across the globe. It's never happened before in all of history!!

My point is, and I think will find this in the next 25 years, is that with the spread of information across the globe and the quickness by which it travels through social media, our world is about to become a mile wide and an inch deep. I am afraid that the next Harry Potter-like series is just around the corner and another couple hundred million people in the world will buy those too, and then a few months later be on to the next series after that. These don't necessarily have to be good books, just popular... and they will sell hundreds of millions of copies because there are several billion people the world who can access them now.

So either the Harry Potter series was revolutionary in all of the history of literature or it's going to fade out with time like all the other generational works to do. I'm not saying kids absolutely will not read HP 20 years from now.., I'm saying they probably won't trek to central Florida to see Harry Potter land.
Can't buy Harry Potter through kindle...ebooks just recently made available via pottermore site.,,so all those book sales were paper copies

I agree with your point in social media...

But a seven book series over multiple years and eight movies aren't all as successful as they were without it being a revolutionary series. It is as relevant as A new fantasyland based on belle, Ariel and Snow White...for sure

But your point is understood.
__________________
Disney 2012 Family of 10 Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAUFuetpw9kor for itoys:http://vimeo.com/59235670
hollygolitely93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #1554
darnheather
DIS Veteran
 
darnheather's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBama View Post
Some will love the new system, and some will hate it. Personally, if they limited me to 3 FPs/day and only 1 or 2 of them headliners, I would probably stop going to WDW. This from a man who has averaged 22 days in WDW each year for the last 13 years.
So the only reason you go to Disney is because you can get FPs to certain rides? I thought there was more to the DW experience than that.
__________________
D13 and Izzy8 DisneyParis 2006, DisneySea 2010, DisneyWorld 2013

No trips planned for now but fingers crossed for DCL in 2015.
darnheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #1555
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer
 
WillAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,873

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBama View Post
Some will love the new system, and some will hate it. Personally, if they limited me to 3 FPs/day and only 1 or 2 of them headliners, I would probably stop going to WDW. This from a man who has averaged 22 days in WDW each year for the last 13 years.
I'm feeling the same way. I wish they'd let us know how it's going to work because 3 is not enough for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
So the only reason you go to Disney is because you can get FPs to certain rides? I thought there was more to the DW experience than that.
I know that when we go, because of FPs, we are able to ride what we want, as many times as we want, without ever waiting more than 15 minutes. Limiting the number of FPs we can get to a number below what we can currently use significantly changes our experience in a negative way.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #1556
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,849

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post
You do know, of course, that there are nearly 7 billion people on earth now right? So I do not doubt that Harry Potter series was one of the if not the best selling book series of all time. However, by sheer numbers there are simply more people on earth and especially in the last 20 years, more people who have contact with United States and Western media to be able to have access to their works than ever before. So, I wonder how much of the sales had to do with the delivery of books through the Internet through things like Kindle? And if not Kindle, just social media and the ability to deliver information about things like Harry Potter series across the globe. It's never happened before in all of history!!

My point is, and I think will find this in the next 25 years, is that with the spread of information across the globe and the quickness by which it travels through social media, our world is about to become a mile wide and an inch deep. I am afraid that the next Harry Potter-like series is just around the corner and another couple hundred million people in the world will buy those too, and then a few months later be on to the next series after that. These don't necessarily have to be good books, just popular... and they will sell hundreds of millions of copies because there are several billion people the world who can access them now.

So either the Harry Potter series was revolutionary in all of the history of literature or it's going to fade out with time like all the other generational works to do. I'm not saying kids absolutely will not read HP 20 years from now.., I'm saying they probably won't trek to central Florida to see Harry Potter land.
In the next 20 years, new rides will be coming out. What does it matter if Harry Potter is the not the main draw in 20 years? What 20 year old ride at WDW is the major reason for people coming to WDW?

Universal regularly rips down old rides to put in new ones. Heck, they ripped out Jaws to put in the new Diagon Alley. If need be, in 20 years they can rip out Diagon Alley.

I think that is what people would rather have had WDW do. Rip out some of the old areas that are needing improvement or are housing nothing, and put something new in, instead of the Fastpass +.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #1557
maddiebee
DIS Veteran
 
maddiebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 947

I'm wondering how affective small tests are for something that so drastically affects so many of disneys guests. Does testing it on small groups really demonstrate the impact it will have across a whole park, let alone all 4?
maddiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #1558
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,442

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
So the only reason you go to Disney is because you can get FPs to certain rides? I thought there was more to the DW experience than that.
I go to Disney for a variety of reasons. I like the parades, shows, characters AND rides. My husband likes the rides. If we wait an hour for Space Mountain, 45 minutes for Splash, an hour for BTMRR, and 45 minutes for Peter Pan, there isn't much time left for parades, characters and shows.

FP has been an integral part of Disney being a pleasing vacation destination for our family. Messing with that puts it all up for re-evaluation.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #1559
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,679

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
So the only reason you go to Disney is because you can get FPs to certain rides? I thought there was more to the DW experience than that.
No, but WDW is not a large enough draw for me without those attractions, and I will not wait on line for an hour to ride anything. Even during the slow season, the headliners all draw long lines.
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #1560
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran
 
Squidgyness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NE United Kingdom
Posts: 903

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAustin View Post

I'm feeling the same way. I wish they'd let us know how it's going to work because 3 is not enough for us.

I know that when we go, because of FPs, we are able to ride what we want, as many times as we want, without ever waiting more than 15 minutes. Limiting the number of FPs we can get to a number below what we can currently use significantly changes our experience in a negative way.
Yeah. Attractions are a main reason I go to Florida in general. People might argue that the general theming and other aspects are important too, but its pretty pointless if I'm stuck in an hour long line and can't enjoy these other aspects because I refused to schedule my rides in advance, or couldn't.

Also, I couldn't help smiling at 'FP Super user' under your username

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiebee View Post
I'm wondering how affective small tests are for something that so drastically affects so many of disneys guests. Does testing it on small groups really demonstrate the impact it will have across a whole park, let alone all 4?
Not only will it not tell if there will be a problem if one doesn't appear in the small tests, but if a problem does appear in small tests (like the haunted mansion reports of a longer standby line for example) then it will be magnified tenfold once rolled out fully.
__________________
Orlando Trips :
1996, 1998, 2003, 2006, 2009
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: