Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #496
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Girl ..... A BOOK ???? On Amazon ?? Sooooo exciting !! Congratulations !!! Loving all of your Poly photos !!
Awww, thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Congratulations on authoring an e-book! That is so exciting!

I love accompanying you on your meanderings around the resorts -- so peaceful!

Kathy
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Potts View Post
I can't wait to see what's in Tonga! The suspense!
It's coming up!!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #497
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

The Secret Tonga Club Lounge

Right next to the Great Ceremonial House on the West side is Tonga.

As I suspected, the door to Tonga didn't open when I approached it. But I had a golden key; it was worth a try, right? So I put my key in, not expecting success...

And the doors swooshed open.

For a minute I just stared down the hallway in shock. Was there really another club longhouse at the Polynesian that my key would let me into that I had never even known about after years and years of staying at the Poly??!?

I GUESS SO!

Right inside the doors was a concierge desk, which at that moment was unmanned. I wandered down the hallway, which was super swanky and had different decor from the normal hallways (different from the new updates at the Poly too!):

I pay a lot of unneccesary attention to Disney decor, I know. But this was super exclusive modern-tropical decor that just ridiculously rich and ridiculously upgrade-lucky people get to see. So yeah I was kinda riveted by the wall lamps and wallpaper.

As I passed the doors I realized these were indeed the presidential and vice presidential suites. Tonga is a small longhouse to begin with, but there must've only been 6 or 7 rooms in the whole thing, since all the rooms were suites!

I was hoping someone would come out so I could get a peek inside, but it was completely quiet. And lucky as my key had been getting me into Tonga, I didn't think it would work on the presidential suite.

There were some stairs leading up, so I decided to have a look around the second floor as well. GUESS WHAT I FOUND.

A SUPER SECRET CLUB LOUNGE, THAT'S WHAT I FOUND!!!

To fully understand how mind-boggling this was to me, you have to keep in mind that my family has been staying at (on and off) and loving the King Kamehameha Club level at the Poly for at least the last ten years. But we've only stayed in the normal rooms in Hawaii and enjoyed the fabulous lounge there. So to find out that there was yet another club lounge that had been hiding under our noses, accessible by our club key, was kinda incredible.

And I thought I was an expert on the Polynesian. Pride goeth before a fall, right?

I had NO IDEA that the suite people get a mini lounge - complete with food - all to themselves. I mean, they already have all that extra space in their rooms, but I guess in case they feel cramped they can come out here too!

OOohhh, a Polynesian painting I have never seen before. Must photograph.

And another one!!

There were juices and soda and fruit just like in the big lounge in Hawaii.

Also a coffee machine with flavored syrups and tea.

The nibbly bits on the table were almost identical to the afternoon offerings in the lounge, EXCEPT THEY HAD CUPCAKES.

JEALOUS.

I wasn't sure if I should take anything or not, though, as I imagine the lounge was technically just for the suite guests, so they don't have to walk all the way over to Hawaii for food (the poor things...). And yet, my key did let me in?? I have no idea what the technical rules were regarding this lounge, but I was excited just to be able to see it.

Back out into the bamboo! After the discovery in Tonga, I naturally had to explore the other longhouses nearby to make sure there weren't any other super secret mini club lounges I had been missing all this time...

Fiji, Aoeteora, and Tuvalu were all accessible without a key and didn't seem to have any hidden lounges (though I did go upstairs to double check! )

I loved wandering around the longhouses though, discovering a few views I had never seen before.

There are just a few more photos left that won't fit in this update, so I'll save them for the next update (the last one for this TR!). But discovering that lounge was a perfect cherry on top for the end of the trip!

Last edited by AGPrincess; 05-20-2013 at 04:18 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #498
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

ah the pics of poly look amazing. i wanna be in Florida like now
Old 05-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #499
jdd
DIS Veteran

That's so cool that you found a bonus club lounge!

I'll have to do some research and see if that lounge is for everyone or just Tonga guests before our August stay. It would be awesome to have another place to just hang out.
March 2002, May 2003, Nov 2007 - ASMo, Nov 2005 - CSR, April 2007 - CBR, Oct 2008 - POR, Aug 2009 - FW Cabins/Beach Club, Dec 2009 - ASSp (mom/son trip), Aug-Sept 2010-POR/Poly CL, Sept 2011-Poly (mom/son trip), May2012-CBR(anniversary trip), Aug2012-WWoHP and AKL-Kidani, Aug2013-PolyCL, Feb2014-CBR, Feb2015-CBR, Aug2015-PolyCL
Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #500
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
ah the pics of poly look amazing. i wanna be in Florida like now
Thanks! Haha, I know, that's how I always feel after writing a trip report or surfing the DIS for awhile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd View Post
That's so cool that you found a bonus club lounge!

I'll have to do some research and see if that lounge is for everyone or just Tonga guests before our August stay. It would be awesome to have another place to just hang out.
Definitely! And I wonder if the suite guests do even use the Tonga lounge - all the food and drinks looked completely untouched when I went in.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #501
MEK
DIS Veteran

No matter how many times you go to Disney there is always something new to be found. Cute lounge!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 05-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #502
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
No matter how many times you go to Disney there is always something new to be found. Cute lounge!
So SO true!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #503
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Ahhh, the beautiful Poly! Too bad this is almost over! Will you be writing another TR for your upcoming trip?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #504
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Ahhh, the beautiful Poly! Too bad this is almost over! Will you be writing another TR for your upcoming trip?
Most definitely! I love blogging about Disney too, but I really love the community of the DIS trip reports board. I'm already pondering what the new title should be!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #505
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Leaving the Poly...

Well. This is it. The last update of Downton Disney! It's a good thing I'm heading back to Florida in TWO WEEKS. I don’t think I could take being TR-less for too long! The new trippie is not up quite yet, but keep an eye out for it in the very near future. (I'll post a link on here too).

But FIRST, I figured I'd finish this trippie up by packing as many Polynesian pics into the last post as possible. Sound like a plan?

When I last left off, I was having a wander around the longhouses, discovering some views I had never seen before. Like this one of the Volcano from across the marina...

The Great Ceremonial House looked so pretty across the water from Tuvalu.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Just look at all those palm trees.

There’s Tonga! The lounge is on the left side of the building.

Many of the outdoor staircases at the Poly have chairs for a smoking area. I kinda wish they just had the chairs and a place to sit, without the smoke!

Looking down at the dock.

I’m pretty sure this pic was my desktop background for awhile.

Back through the Great Ceremonial House...

I stopped in Boutiki just to see if there was any last thing I couldn’t resist…

I do like the Polynesian designs they have, but I decided to wait. Once you’ve seen these Disney t-shirts on sale for $5 at Property Control, you never feel quite the same about paying $30 for them.

I headed back to Hawaii to tell the family about the new secret club lounge I had spotted. We were nearly packed up and ready to go. Sniff. I helped do another luggage-schlepping run to the car, then spent my last ten Polynesian minutes sitting by the windows in the lounge, gazing across the water towards the castle.

Soaking in as much of the magic as possible to take along with me!

Then the time had come. We made sure nothing was left in the room, said goodbye to the lounge and made our adieus to the Great Ceremonial House…

Goodbye hidden mickey! See you next time!

Then it was out to the parking lot, blew a kiss to those last palm trees, and into the car to embark on the drive home.

Thank you guys so much for coming along on this trip report! Thanks especially to all those who have commented - reading your comments and stories makes my day.

Sending lots of pixie dust until the next snobby TR...

Yours,

Emma
Old 05-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #506
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

Wonderful TR. I really enjoyed reading along. I love all the Poly info. I can't wait for our stay in September to check out the secret club. Can't wait for your next one to start.

What is Property Control? I want $5 shirts too!

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-AOA,BLT,WL (DS 1st MVMCP)
Old 05-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #507
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Aww so sad its over but I'm glad that you will be writing another TR for your June trip! Have a magical time!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Old 05-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #508
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran

Thank goodness you have another trip right around the corner! Otherwise I don't know what I would do with myself!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #509
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the Concierge fun and the BEAUTIFUL Poly pictures!!

Now that I hear about DVC plans for the Poly, I might actually get to stay there in the future!

Looking forward to your next TR - have a great trip!!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #510
jdd
DIS Veteran

Great report - thanks so much for sharing

Have a fantastic trip - I can't wait to be back in August
March 2002, May 2003, Nov 2007 - ASMo, Nov 2005 - CSR, April 2007 - CBR, Oct 2008 - POR, Aug 2009 - FW Cabins/Beach Club, Dec 2009 - ASSp (mom/son trip), Aug-Sept 2010-POR/Poly CL, Sept 2011-Poly (mom/son trip), May2012-CBR(anniversary trip), Aug2012-WWoHP and AKL-Kidani, Aug2013-PolyCL, Feb2014-CBR, Feb2015-CBR, Aug2015-PolyCL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: