Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

We have been 2x for breakfast.. As many have said it's not gourmet, but good. Nice thing about a buffet is that unless its REALLY bad, which CM is not, everyone will find something that is edible and tastey.
I would prefer to spend my TS credit elswhere, but for my son that is "his" restaurant. On our first trip everyone got to pick a TS ADR and that was his choice. He is only 8 but proud to know that is "his" ADR.

And I htink he only likes it because he likes watching the monorail and birds fly by, being allowed to have desert as breakfast.. Oh and the MIckey waffles and Mickey.

If find the fruit and warm foods also good. TBH, I find Tusker House a better selection from an adult point of view, but I let my kids have CMs.
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?

I'm going for the first time ever. I booked it specifically because most people say it's one of (if not the) best character dining experience. Okay, but why? The characters are dressed like chef's, which is unique. But the same could be said of other character dining, too. I saw video of the "events" at Ohana, so I can see why aside from the food why people like it. What's special about Chef Mickey's? BTW, I'm going for breakfast.
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
2manydaves
Mouseketeer

I have a family full of CM lovers, too. It's the first place my kids request when we plan a Disney trip.
2manydaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
Cindy's Mom
DIS Veteran

We've been to CM probably 10 times, with each time I get more and more disgusted. The food IMO is atrocious, the charcater interaction is fair at best and if we weren't lovers of the DDP, there is no chance in heck that I'd pay money for this meal.

I am by no means a foodie. I can go to the finest steakhouse in Chicago and the next day be at a Country Buffet and not bat an eye.

The DDP and our tradition of night of arrival dinner followed by wishes on the observation deck are the ONLY reason we go.

2013 - GF CL (June)
2012 - Off Site
2012 - On and Off Site
2011 - Coronado Springs
2010 - Easter Week: ASMo
2009 - WL
2008 - Yacht Club
2007 - WL (summer)
2007 - CBR (spring)
2006 - POP
2005 - POR
2004 - Nick Hotel

Cindy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #20
troll buster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Swift
I'm going for the first time ever. I booked it specifically because most people say it's one of (if not the) best character dining experience. Okay, but why? The characters are dressed like chef's, which is unique. But the same could be said of other character dining, too. I saw video of the "events" at Ohana, so I can see why aside from the food why people like it. What's special about Chef Mickey's? BTW, I'm going for breakfast.
Nothing different than any other character meal. Except the food is worse at dinner.
troll buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
chimilady
DIS Veteran

I ate there once in September and I would never go back. I spent my 20s eating at Atlantic City buffets, so I am totally expecting the same quality mediocre food, which is totally fine. However, it was just bad. Kids running around nuts. Characters spending less than 10 seconds at our table. Kids at the buffet by themselves wiping their noses on their arms/hands and then reaching out for food, or worse, putting it on a plate and then putting it back, using fingers to put their food on their plates. All in all, yuk. I wanted to love this place because 1) of the convenience, and the 2) the characters. That being said, I will never go back. This place turned me off to buffets if we are not in the 1st seating. I would rather eat at a place like Garden Grill where you won't see kids running around, where each has their own booth, and where they bring unlimited food to your table. Same for Ohana breakfast with bringing food to your table. My friend went in November and had the same experience. I will say that that despite all of my disney-going friends, we are the only 2 that hated Chef Mickeys.

If it's a tradition and you get an early seating, then go for it. To each their own.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

We have been there twice and have had a great experience everytime. We also plan on going there again on our upcoming trip!
mommytocalliesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #23
katiee37
DIS Veteran

I've only been there once for breakfast with my reluctant mother who isn't big on breakfast food or character interaction. However, she enjoyed watching Donald pretend to run off with a baseball cap I had been wearing and I enjoyed that as well as all-you-can-eat mini Mickey waffles It is expensive, as are all character meals, but in my opinion the character interaction was worth the cost.
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #24
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I will preface this with:
1) I don't love posting horrible reviews (I am typically sad about poor experiences at Disney)
2) I have not gone in with wrong expectations (We have eaten at CM's 3 x and know exactly what to expect)
3) I do not consider myself a "foodie" but I love a good meal and can get somewhat adventurous with my food choices.

At any restaurant, I expect good service. I expect properly cooked, tasty food.

At CM's we have gotten none of the above, on 3 separate occasions (at different times during the morning). I have gotten dirty dishes (from stuff floating in my water glass to a brownie having been folded up in a napkin with my silverware)

Sadly, our servers have been so absent, that it was difficult even getting a new glass or new silverware.

The buffet area has always been a disaster. I realize that when you have so many people taking food out there is going to be a mess, but you could have someone there to clean up regularly. Tusker House Buffet was spotless!

The foods have been at wrong temps. Hot foods cold, cold foods hot, and one time that the eggs out on the buffet were literally liquified. . People were still spooning it onto their plates....

Also, the character interaction is awful here, IMHO. It would probably be decent, however, for some reason at CM's, people do not wait for the characters to come to their tables....they just get up and rush the characters even while they are at someone else's table. My kids have missed characters all together because the character gets distracted by a person who won't just sit down and wait. I have not experienced this at any other character meal.

Again, 3 experiences. Each worse than the last. My kids won't even do it anymore. If it was one experience, I'd try it again (and clearly I did). But CM has set a pattern of nastiness for us that I will not return to. It's too bad because it could be really fun!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #25
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
People love to post horrible reviews. Don't be scared away. If you love it and it's a tradition for your family then you should go. We went to CM last summer for the first time and loved it!
I completely agree! We just went a few weeks ago and had a great time. I will always try to get a CM ADR on every trip.
And yes, napkin twirling was on the menu, but I did restrain myself...this time anyway.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #26
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

Thanks all - we are still excited. I do realize there will be various opinions. We have had the best character interaction and servers here and my girls love the food and desserts. Twirling our napkins is a must.
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: