Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #16
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I don't do Starring Rolls for lunch because they won't make the sandwiches without mayonnaise - they are not able to customize the sandwiches at all. If I'm going to have CS lunch there it's usually Backlot Express or Studio Catering.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I don't do Starring Rolls for lunch because they won't make the sandwiches without mayonnaise - they are not able to customize the sandwiches at all.
My precise reason why I don't eat there except for breakfast. Hard to believe that in this day and age, mayo is still an immutable "standard" that certain sandwich sellers insist on using. Especially now that so many places are required to conspicuously publish nutritional information. Delete that mayo, and you suddenly have a heart-healthy sandwhich that a lot more people would consider. And if you want mayo....grab a packet.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Don't really care about healthy, I just hate mayonnaise.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #19
JimmyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Don't really care about healthy, I just hate mayonnaise.
Me too. But isn't it great to hate something that isn't healthy!
I'm just trying to give businesses a reason (excuse) to stop making it so common and unchangeable.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:48 AM   #20
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

We are not fans of CS at DS, so usually take a midday break and run over to the Pepper Market at Coronado Springs to get their chicken nachos. Just love those things and they are huge! I gotta get them at least once each trip, even if we're not staying over at Coronado Springs.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #21
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
My precise reason why I don't eat there except for breakfast. Hard to believe that in this day and age, mayo is still an immutable "standard" that certain sandwich sellers insist on using. Especially now that so many places are required to conspicuously publish nutritional information. Delete that mayo, and you suddenly have a heart-healthy sandwhich that a lot more people would consider. And if you want mayo....grab a packet.
The problem is that if sandwiches sit out in the fridge and have no mayo or mustard to act as a barrier between the moist ingredients and the bread, then the bread gets soggy.
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #22
kaybird
DIS Veteran

Think over all DHS gets a bad rap on food. Fairfax Fare has the basically the same combo plate as Cosmic Rays in Magic Kingdom that gets many votes. We LOVE LOVE LOVE the hot Italian Sandwich at Catalina Eddies, can't go without a breakfast at Starring Rolls. Also the Cuban sandwich at ABC is a nice change!

kaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #23
JimmyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
The problem is that if sandwiches sit out in the fridge and have no mayo or mustard to act as a barrier between the moist ingredients and the bread, then the bread gets soggy.
I assume that you meant that sarcastically, as the condiments are more moist than the other ingredients that one would seek to keep away from the bread. Ever take a tuna fish sandwich out of a picnic basket 4 hours after it was made? It wasn't the tuna that made the bread soggy!
Old 05-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
I would consider changing to a dinner ADR at DHS & eating at Starring Rolls for lunch. DHS counter service is extremely lacking. Our favorite by far is SR. As has been noted, it closes too early for dinner. If you absolutely don't want a dinner ADR, I would avoid ABC Commissary. IMO, it's the worst CS location at WDW.
DITTO on all points.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #25
TommyD57
Pirate at heart

Counter service at Studios.

If you like bacon cheeseburgers, head over to Backlot express as they do a good job on them. Need a quick "snack" in between meals? You must try a pretzel dog at Min and Bill's Diner. The 3 of us split one with a milk shake and it was wonderful-warm pretzel dough wrapped around a sausage dog. Healthy?-Neither, but I'm sure we walked it off during our stay. Both places accept quick-service dining credits. Sure glad we didn't "settle" for the ABC commisary this time!
2004,CBR
2006,POFQ(favorite)
2007,CBR
2013,POP
meDWDD(20)
TommyD57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #26
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

I'm not sure why DHS gets such a bad rap when it comes to CS food. We've always enjoyed every CS meal and restaurant we've been to. Studio Catering Co, Starring Rolls, ABC Commissary, Backlot Express, and Pizza Planet are all good choices for us. Haven't been to the other places, but I think they would be fine, as well.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #27
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofKatie View Post
I'm not sure why DHS gets such a bad rap when it comes to CS food. We've always enjoyed every CS meal and restaurant we've been to. Studio Catering Co, Starring Rolls, ABC Commissary, Backlot Express, and Pizza Planet are all good choices for us. Haven't been to the other places, but I think they would be fine, as well.
There's nothing there that wows me.. but I agree. In fact I personally wouldn't rate the MK CS options much higher. BOG has brought about some interesting options, and Columbia Harbour House has a few different choices..but even there most of it is still fried food.

Anyway, we usually end up at Backlot Express. It's not fabulous by any means.. but it's fine, roomy and air conditioned. We also didn't find ABC Commissary any better or worse than most other places. We never end up at Starring Rolls anymore because of the lack of seating and the fact that it's all outdoor. By the time lunch rolls around on our August trips, the LAST thing you want to do is eat outside.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: