Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #2176
aan1701
DIS Veteran

After reading these last few posts, I am wondering if I am the only one who never had a problem finding a seat either up at the cove, or in a show, talk, what have you. I never had a problem with lines either. I think the longest was the one I stood in to get our pic with Captain Fabin. That was maybe 10 min.
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #2177
Crissup
Upset CAK because she didn't get to hold it first
Haunted by Tag Fairy droppings

I can't say we had trouble finding a seat in the Outlook Cafe. We sometimes couldn't find two together because the would be giving some health seminar up there or people just scattered around. But between the Outlook Cafe, the Cove Cafe and the Cove Pool area, we always found a seat somewhere. And Gladstone always ensured we had a pool chaise when we wanted one. Overall, we didn't feel it was that crowded. The family pool always had open chaise lounges, but we avoided them due to the sun.

Sent via my iThingy
Crissup is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #2178
aan1701
DIS Veteran

That's good to see I was not the only one. I did just realize I made a error. The longest line I waited in the whole two weeks was at Serenity Bay for lunch. That I think took about 20 min or so, but even with, what seemed to be most of the ship over there for lunch, we found a open table to eat at with no problem.
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.

Last edited by aan1701; 05-29-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #2179
Crissup
Upset CAK because she didn't get to hold it first
Haunted by Tag Fairy droppings

Agreed on the Serenity Bay lunch line. While the tables usually seem full, there's always someone who just finished eating as we leave the food line looking for a table.

Sent via my iThingy
Crissup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:46 AM   #2180
annichan
There's a platypus controlling me, he's underneath the table

We never had any trouble finding seats either - sometimes there would not be free sun loungers at the Cove Pool, but then we would always find a free table there which was just as well. And our favourite times at/in the pool were about 4 to 6 pm, when there were always free loungers.

That said, we did wait in an absolutely horrible line that didn't make us happy at all ... And that was the non-US citizens' line to get off the ship at the port of LA. They had one counter open for non-US citizens (instead of just spreading us among all counters ), and it moved at glacially slow speed because they took a few minutes to process each individual. There were maybe 30-40 people ahead of us, and we spent until almost 11 am in that line, shuffling alongside the Wonder which we had just left. Next to us, literally about 1,000 US citizens walked past, and when there were no more coming and the ship must have been empty, we were still standing there waiting. Very annoying, and it really made us feel pretty second-class.
(Which we had to think of when we arrived back in Germany: everybody in the same line, with lots of people from the US, nobody took more than a few moments at the counter, and no nationality had to wait longer than any other. So it's possible!)

2005: It all started with DLP Disneyland Paris (3 nights) / 2009: Honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge (15 nights)
2010: Magic Western Caribbean, then BCV (11 nights) / 2011: Magic Mediterranean Cruise (Magic, 11 nights)
2011: Our return to Disneyland Resort Paris (4 nights) / August 2012: NYC to Castaway Cay and Canada (B2B, Magic, 13 nights)
2013: Westbound Panama Canal Cruise (Wonder, 14 nights) + 3 days at Disneyland / 2014: Westbound Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean (B2B, Magic, 21 nights)

annichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:48 AM   #2181
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Sorry about our customs, but welcome to sequestration. Also please realize, they was not DCL's fault. They can't control how many customs agents are working.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
Old 05-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #2182
annichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
Sorry about our customs, but welcome to sequestration. Also please realize, they was not DCL's fault. They can't control how many customs agents are working.

Yes, I didn't make myself clear, but we certainly knew that this was not DCL's fault! Just generally wanted to let off some steam, since we were all talking about waiting in lines.

What is sequestration, though?

2005: It all started with DLP Disneyland Paris (3 nights) / 2009: Honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge (15 nights)
2010: Magic Western Caribbean, then BCV (11 nights) / 2011: Magic Mediterranean Cruise (Magic, 11 nights)
2011: Our return to Disneyland Resort Paris (4 nights) / August 2012: NYC to Castaway Cay and Canada (B2B, Magic, 13 nights)
2013: Westbound Panama Canal Cruise (Wonder, 14 nights) + 3 days at Disneyland / 2014: Westbound Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean (B2B, Magic, 21 nights)

Last edited by annichan; 05-30-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #2183
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annichan View Post

Yes, I didn't make myself clear, but we certainly knew that this was not DCL's fault! Just generally wanted to let off some steam, since we were all talking about waiting in lines.

What is sequestration, though?
Oh I know you were not blaming DCL, but it seems every time I take them to L.A. someone likes to blame them for something customs at the port did. So it was more making sure other who read this thread knew that. Sequestration is this government program to save money. So a lot of government agencies must take mandatory furlough days. Looks like you got hit with it at the port. So sorry.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #2184
heatherLOVESmickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:

That said, we did wait in an absolutely horrible line that didn't make us happy at all ... And that was the non-US citizens' line to get off the ship at the port of LA. They had one counter open for non-US citizens (instead of just spreading us among all counters ), and it moved at glacially slow speed because they took a few minutes to process each individual. There were maybe 30-40 people ahead of us, and we spent until almost 11 am in that line, shuffling alongside the Wonder which we had just left. Next to us, literally about 1,000 US citizens walked past, and when there were no more coming and the ship must have been empty, we were still standing there waiting. Very annoying, and it really made us feel pretty second-class.
(Which we had to think of when we arrived back in Germany: everybody in the same line, with lots of people from the US, nobody took more than a few moments at the counter, and no nationality had to wait longer than any other. So it's possible!)
I'm with you about the line! And here's the real kicker... I'm a citizen (not that it should make a difference but natural born) and my husband is nearly a 20 year permanent resident. I was ticked! And we were nearly the last ones through. I will say I was pleased that we didn't gave to search for our luggage, wait in a line to get on the bus and we still had ample time to get to LAX for our flight. I just can't believe how they treated people. Thankfully I'm home now and over it!
heatherLOVESmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #2185
heatherLOVESmickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Oh I know you were not blaming DCL, but it seems every time I take them to L.A. someone likes to blame them for something customs at the port did. So it was more making sure other who read this thread knew that. Sequestration is this government program to save money. So a lot of government agencies must take mandatory furlough days. Looks like you got hit with it at the port. So sorry.

There were only two counters not open. I'm pretty sure the line backing up for the non-citizens had nothing to do with the sequester.
heatherLOVESmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #2186
kbishop2013
Earning My Ears

Quote:

I'm going to jump on the complaint train a minute too! And not a DCL one, but a PA Customs "Moment Of The Ridiculous". While disembarking the boat, a flag came up on my passport. Instead of making me cool my heels to the side and wait to talk to an agent, they completely halted the massive disembarkment line, cleared the gangplank, (which took almost 25 minutes) so that an agent could board the boat, then walked me and family passed a few hundred passengers so I could talk to another agent.

He asked me one question. I reported a lost passport 4 years ago (and have traveled on the replacement many times since). Was it still missing? Yep, lost in my house somewhere. Ok. Thanks.

My apologies to anyone caught in the delay. They should have made me wait instead.
kbishop2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #2187
annichan

Quote:
Sequestration is this government program to save money. So a lot of government agencies must take mandatory furlough days.

Thank you for the explanation! I knew about the program but somehow I thought it was called "furlough", not "sequestration".
Now finally having looked up "furlough" in the dictionary, it is all starting to make sense to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherLOVESmickey View Post
There were only two counters not open. I'm pretty sure the line backing up for the non-citizens had nothing to do with the sequester.
I would say the same (now that I finally know what you are talking about - see above ). The fact that so many counters were open and the US citizens' line was moving very fast, I am guessing this was not a problem of sequestration, but rather poor planning.

Keeping one big line for everybody (citizens and non citizens) and spreading them evenly over all available counters would have been so much fairer. Sure, that would have meant a bit of a longer wait for the citizens as well (because every now and then there would be a few minutes' delay when a non-citizen got called to the counter), but it would have been the same for everybody - instead of "a short wait for most, and a gigantic wait for the foreigners"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishop2013 View Post
I'm going to jump on the complaint train a minute too! And not a DCL one, but a PA Customs "Moment Of The Ridiculous". While disembarking the boat, a flag came up on my passport. Instead of making me cool my heels to the side and wait to talk to an agent, they completely halted the massive disembarkment line, cleared the gangplank, (which took almost 25 minutes) so that an agent could board the boat, then walked me and family passed a few hundred passengers so I could talk to another agent.

He asked me one question. I reported a lost passport 4 years ago (and have traveled on the replacement many times since). Was it still missing? Yep, lost in my house somewhere. Ok. Thanks.

My apologies to anyone caught in the delay. They should have made me wait instead.
Oh, so THAT's what was happening there! Well, how dare you have mislaid a passport years ago even though you knew that would hold us all up on this cruise? Shame on you!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #2188
granmaz
Dis Veteran and Old Geezer

Quote:

It must depend on when you get off the ship as we almost went straight through Immigration, but we were off fairly early I think as the later breakfast was still going on in Triton's as we passed. Of the 3 PC's this was the best for disembarking but the other 2 we were late breakfast so that might have been the difference for us. On the first one the line to get off the ship wound right down the shoreside building, across the gangway, and down the side of the ship's deck. This time the line only went back a short way on the shore side, at least when we were getting off.

The problem for us non Americans is that we need to have fingerprints taken and Esta's checked. I guess they think there are less of us onboard so only need to set up that equipment in the one booth but maybe 2 would have been better later on. Getting into the US as a visitor is not the best experience I have to say

If you do a WB Transatlantic it is much worse as you have to go to Immigration very very early in the Buena Vista Theatre. I think 6am was our time, and then when we went to breakfast(late seating so around 8) the early seating hadn't finished because all the crew hadn't even finished being cleared at immigration so cooks and servers missing. What a mess it was. Plus the Immigration guys were very grumpy as DCL appeared to not have given all the correct forms out.:roll eyes: I hope things improve for the next one with passengers next year.

granmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #2189
annichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmaz View Post
It must depend on when you get off the ship as we almost went straight through Immigration, but we were off fairly early I think as the later breakfast was still going on in Triton's as we passed.
Yup, we were at the later breakfast! So should we ever sail to L.A. again, we will definitely consider skipping breakfast and heading off the ship early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmaz View Post
If you do a WB Transatlantic it is much worse as you have to go to Immigration very very early in the Buena Vista Theatre. I think 6am was our time, and then when we went to breakfast(late seating so around 8) the early seating hadn't finished because all the crew hadn't even finished being cleared at immigration so cooks and servers missing. What a mess it was. Plus the Immigration guys were very grumpy as DCL appeared to not have given all the correct forms out.:roll eyes: I hope things improve for the next one with passengers next year.
Uh-oh ... We ARE booked on the next WB Transatlantic! Better not tell DH about this ahead of time ...

Old 05-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #2190
granmaz
Dis Veteran and Old Geezer

Quote:
Yup, we were at the later breakfast! So should we ever sail to L.A. again, we will definitely consider skipping breakfast and heading off the ship early.

Uh-oh ... We ARE booked on the next WB Transatlantic! Better not tell DH about this ahead of time ...
I think we will now always either skip breakfast or go to the buffet if we are on late dining and expected to be at late breakfast. So much better at disembarkation.

I am hoping that DCL have learned from the last WBTA experience but I guess the immigration still has to be done. You just have to grin and bear it. It can seem like the US don't want any visitors from other countries the way you can be treated. The officers do seem to be getting a little more 'friendly' though or else we have just been lucky recently.

The year before that experience on the TA which was in 2011, on the prior WBTA(2010) we just got off in Port Canaveral as if we had just been on a Caribbean cruise with no special Immigration checks, only the green forms we had to fill in. It worked so much better but of course now they do more checks etc and we now have the ESTA's.

granmaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: