Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #1396
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
See this is why I think it's a risky idea.

What is the point of this system if it ends up benefitting the planners (which current FP does now, without limits) and just being a gimmicky app for newbies to be amused by (but rarely use to it's potential), is it really worth it? Will it have the kick that Disney needs?

I just can't imagine myself at Disney sitting down at the table in a year to review the financials and liking what I see.

"This $1BN... must have been a pretty big park expansion you did! Ought to get you well in front again, eh? Guests love a good old expansion."
"Actually... no. We switched to RFID and made rides prebookable... and you can get the parrot in the Tiki Room to say your name too! And we get data on guests purchases!"
"Didn't you also get data with the old KTTW card? And, does this solve the problems with the old fastpass system we were having?"
"Kind of... we have had to splurge on some itsy bitsy IT fixes. And... well... it still has some issues. Turns out fastpasses still sell out whenever they come online at busy times, and guests still complain."
"Ah. So... did a lot of people take it up? Did you at least make more money from guests?"
"Well..."

And then come the charges and price rises.

I totally agree that it was very risky. I think sometimes management types get too far away from the average 80%, too wrapped in their tech-filled world, to understand the value of simplicity.

And too wrapped up in taking a stand against a war of attractions.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #1397
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post
My paranoia is creeping in again and I'm beginning to wonder if this thread is being monitored and we are the most underpaid, unwilling and unwitting focus group Disney has ever had.
Speak for yourself. I'd be more than willing to be part of a focus group. I just doubt they'd want me!
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #1398
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
Also, there will be a subtle manipulation by Disney on Us. If they advertise, in advance by about 6 months, that During the month of September there will be 1 additional tier 1 and 2 additional tier 2 available to everybody at the MK and DHS, would it not tempt us more to visit during hurricane season? So, they are spreading us out, and making us want to visit at times of years, they want more vactioners.....
Yep, you think the "code watch" or "Free Dining" threads are popular? Wait til the "Extended FP+" threads start.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #1399
PrincessArlena'sDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As time goes on, the mice get better trained, and buy their tickets earlier.....
Mickey and Minnie need to buy tickets, too, now? Wow!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #1400
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

deleted

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #1401
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Disney drop ticket prices? Maybe when mice fly. I would be willing to bet my vintage Mickey ears that this will NOT be part of the plan.

However, it could lead to a price war....
Old 05-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #1402
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Disney drop ticket prices? Maybe when mice fly. I would be willing to bet my vintage Mickey ears that this will NOT be part of the plan.

However, it could lead to a price war....
They have done so before. When they first introduced MYW tickets, the price of a base ticket (no hopper) was cheaper than it was before.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #1403
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Isn't this exactly what is dragging the airlines out of the red?
But is Disney operating in the red? Would they go to this type of system because they are in financial straights and it's a way to try to keep ticket prices reasonable while trying to find more money to bring into the coffers? Or would it be because they can (based on finding a novel way to sell it to their customers)? Those are two different things (thinking from a PR perspective)

It's one thing if an industry is seeing a lot of companies close to failing for financial reasons and a re-tooling of the fee structure helps to keep ticket prices from being insanely high, while making more money off of things that people may want, but aren't necessities. It's something different if a company starts to charge premiums on everything, just to squeeze more money out of their guests.

Of course Disney is a business and it's totally within their rights to charge what they want however they choose. But, if I decide I don't want to pay for a crappy sandwich on a flight or not check a bag, but the person next to me does it has no affect on my experience. But if Disney were to create "premium" viewing locations, for example, it will affect traffic flow around the hub and down MS (therefore potentially affecting my experience if I get caught in the pre-parade traffic jams that would form multiple times/day)

They may get it past first timers who might be thrilled that they can pay for premium viewing for their families, not realizing it was free before, but they also run the risk of people thinking "wow, you even have to pay to watch the fireworks and parades at Disney if you want a decent view."

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #1404
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

I just think Disney popped into the R&D dept to check up on this thing and got a nasty shock.

"Hey guys we still on for the deadline, yeah? ... WHAT? You spent how much? And it still doesn't work? But I already told the press! Oh no... Right, see if you can fudge it. We can't have blown a billion for nothing... *ring ring* what's that... oh it's the attendance figures for theme parks... HOW MANY? Harry Potter... Cuuuurse youuuu! I knew I shouldn't have slept in the day the fastpasses to the Harry potter rights auction went online! *shakes fist*"

I guess I'm a die hard cynic though...

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #1405
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
They have done so before. When they first introduced MYW tickets, the price of a base ticket (no hopper) was cheaper than it was before.
It won't happen now. I just don't believe it.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #1406
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

I should say, the price drop is probably a flight of fancy. It would be a shocker though.

And whatever they implement, its going to look simple on the surface, easy to use, but put us all in a psychological head lock, just like they did with Magical Express and MWY tickets.

anyhow, mostly joking about my previous scenario. unless of course it happens, and then I will say, -see, I was right! And if it dosent, I will say, see- I was right.

Hedging bets is always a good thing....

Also, I am thinking that the IT thing is the most unbelievable of this entire scenario, with price drop a close second.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #1407
Momtomouselover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How then, I know you are going to ask, is this damn system going to make lines shorter overall for anybody? other then the 3 you get, how can this possibley make any sense? I would reply, it may be a couple of factors. One is, if they increase the number of fp percentages in the grid, then overall even more will be available, and it will be possible that for a large part of the year, 5, 6, or even 7 are available for prebooking. As standby times are going to be horrendous from mid morning to night, most people will avoid them like the plague. The strategy will be for us to pre book as many as possible in advance, and then hop around like little bunnies in the park hitting the suprise and amaze button as often as we can, and go where disney tells us, if we like the attraction. If you can do it from your personal device, you wont have to actually run around at all, just hit the ap and select what appeals to you. Welcome to appointment riding.

Now, of course, as said, this sounds great in theory. And the very wise could use specific times of year, or specific times of day, to fit in a couple of great attractions using the standby line. However, its the application that is concerning. Can they do it? Again, I say, this could be a clusterfudge'. Chaos, Cats and dogs living together...
This "appointment riding" makes me cringe. Assuming you are right then not only are you best off (or at least until you understand the system for supposed "extra" FP 's) buying tickets in advance, deciding 60 days earlier what parks you want to go to on what day, you also need to determine roughly what time you want to ride and be in the parks. Additionally you lose further flexibility the day you are in the park if you are expected to check into a kiosk or stare at a phone to "score" extras to avoid standby lines and thus be lead around by your nose. You can't decide when your kid says "let's ride that again" to grab a FP and ride again later or if the standby line is short enough, presumably something you will see less of with the new system, just ride standby.

In my view this system only helps those people that like to go to the parks and ride a couple things, soak in the atmosphere, and maybe watch a parade or fireworks...the end. Is the price of a park ticket worth that? How about a park ticket and food and on site reservations? Not to mention for how many days. My parents would like this system but they have purchased 7 day tickets before and went 3-4 days and rode 3 things max or took in just shows. How much of the demographic fits this bucket? A potential solution to those that want to ride more and have access to more FP+ would be charging for them and/or link to resort tiers. How many will pay for this additional access? Maybe more than we think...maybe enough. Plus I guess if you have enough people who will pay more you can lose some guests which means less staffing needed, less crowds. Couple this with knowing people's plans...perhaps the math works.

Will everyone like it? Certainly not but perhaps that is not the goal. This system, again a big IF since I'm assuming three and tiered FP's, charging for additional. etc. benefits those who are willing to spend more and those happy with less. Win for Disney. Just think they can also market it to those who are happy with less as a "more relaxed vacation". To the newby "choose a more relaxed vacation or option to upgrade". To those with large expendable vacation budgets "choose a more relaxed vacation or upgrade with super-duper FP+, ride all you want with little or no waiting".

Last edited by Momtomouselover; 05-29-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Momtomouselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #1408
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

and while I'm grumping at Disney just a comment, just because I want to vent ... there was some discussion that perhaps interactive queues are going in because Disney is aware they are going to be negatively impacting SB waiting and this is their way of pre-emptively appeasing the masses. If this is the case boo to you Disney! I had naively thought that the interactive queues were WDW's recognition that often the waits are long and unpleasant and therefore they were trying to make it a more positive experience. I'm really disappointed with all of the Big Brother, manipulate the crowds and their money talk. There would have been much better ways for WDW to improve their guests' experience and competing with Universal. It's all just so unmagical. Disney already had it right with quality service, impeccable theming, innovative and fresh attractions. Had they stuck to that formula they would have maintained their standing in the industry. Not really thinking the Magic Bands and all the related hoo-ha are going to do that for them.

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #1409
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
and while I'm grumping at Disney just a comment, just because I want to vent ... there was some discussion that perhaps interactive queues are going in because Disney is aware they are going to be negatively impacting SB waiting and this is their way of pre-emptively appeasing the masses. If this is the case boo to you Disney! I had naively thought that the interactive queues were WDW's recognition that often the waits are long and unpleasant and therefore they were trying to make it a more positive experience. I'm really disappointed with all of the Big Brother, manipulate the crowds and their money talk. There would have been much better ways for WDW to improve their guests' experience and competing with Universal. It's all just so unmagical. Disney already had it right with quality service, impeccable theming, innovative and fresh attractions. Had they stuck to that formula they would have maintained their standing in the industry. Not really thinking the Magic Bands and all the related hoo-ha are going to do that for them.
I whole heartedly agree with this vent.

Even if I could use this system, and use it well, I doubt I'd be excited for it. It would just be... another thing to figure out and use. Still wouldn't be what I wanted to see from Disney.

But it might just be what we get I suppose. I still want to see the surveys that Disney did for who would use such a system, and who really wanted it.

I bet they didn't include the finer details, just a simple yes/no. Because who is going to say no to shorter lines? Some might have said no to prebooking rides, but what the hay, Disney probably thought they could change their minds. Then they got round to giving millions of people all a fair crack at fastpasses in advance and... things got way too real, way too fast.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #1410
Momtomouselover
DIS Veteran

I wonder if it would work to implement the benefits of MagicBands but have the FP+ system be an add-on benefit. How many and how much would people pay for it? Then they can keep regular FP minus whatever it takes to give some amount of FP+. I would potentially pay for it on some days that I want to "relax" on or if you could have both...well, then it is worth more. Do the numbers work then? You can still use MagicBands to track, get data, have interactivity, offer up bonus day of FP+ for free when capacity allows.

Last edited by Momtomouselover; 05-29-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Momtomouselover is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: