Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #1366
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.
 
jade1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Wayzata, MN
Posts: 6,533

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessArlena'sDad View Post
Not if we had to use MDE
Touche
__________________
jade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #1367
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran
 
ArwenMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer & Wisher View Post
Yes, but I can ride new rides over there. If I have to pay to avoid hour long rates, I would rather ride something new.

I don't think Disney should start charging to use Fastpass+ but I really think they want to. They can tie in hotel and ticket prices to the number of Fastpass+ you get daily. They can charge $$$ for an all access front of the line Magic Band.

I think it will be a slow process so people can adjust to the idea. They will also price the system in order to generate the most profit. They will lose some customers. But eventually they will make back the initial investment.
And our credit cards will be stored in the app, how convenient

I agree on the hotel tie-in, they could even use it as room incentives as well, package up some sort of Deluxe Fastpass+ if you book this room on these dates, that kind of thing. Or tiered tickets like you said, sort of like how now you can "build your own ticket" with park hoppers, or waterparks, etc.

Limitless possibilities.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #1368
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran
 
Squidgyness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NE United Kingdom
Posts: 904

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
And our credit cards will be stored in the app, how convenient

I agree on the hotel tie-in, they could even use it as room incentives as well, package up some sort of Deluxe Fastpass+ if you book this room on these dates, that kind of thing. Or tiered tickets like you said, sort of like how now you can "build your own ticket" with park hoppers, or waterparks, etc.

Limitless possibilities.
Given that FP's link with ticket reservations, I would think they'd choose the tiered ticket if they do raise prices for more FP.

That way they would encourage EVERYONE to pay more money. They could price the tickets by month/week. After January 1st for example the prices could drop 30% to encourage off-peak trips. Then in the height of summer, a rep could sell sell sell up priced tickets.

"Oh, its busy this time of year sir, why not get the super-duper-uber-FP-extraordinary-ticket for only $999.99? Oh sir, staying offsite in a villa? No problem! Tickets are available to all! We here at Disney don't believe in discriminating against offsite heathe- I mean, valued guests in the parks."

That is if they do decide to offer a tiered access system sometime in the future (A debate I think is irrelevant for the next couple of years imo). They'd have to limit the number of upgrades available or price them accordingly to stop too many people buying them and flooding the park with FP's.
__________________
Orlando Trips :
1996, 1998, 2003, 2006, 2009
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #1369
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran
 
ArwenMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Given that FP's link with ticket reservations, I would think they'd choose the tiered ticket if they do raise prices for more FP.

That way they would encourage EVERYONE to pay more money. They could price the tickets by month/week. After January 1st for example the prices could drop 30% to encourage off-peak trips. Then in the height of summer, a rep could sell sell sell up priced tickets.

"Oh, its busy this time of year sir, why not get the super-duper-uber-FP-extraordinary-ticket for only $999.99? Oh sir, staying offsite in a villa? No problem! Tickets are available to all! We here at Disney don't believe in discriminating against offsite heathe- I mean, valued guests in the parks."

That is if they do decide to offer a tiered access system sometime in the future (A debate I think is irrelevant for the next couple of years imo). They'd have to limit the number of upgrades available or price them accordingly to stop too many people buying them and flooding the park with FP's.
True, lots of reasons that a tiered ticket would be the way to go. They already have the tiered ticket system in place, this would just be an add-on.

I agree, they would have to limit how many upgrades are available as well. Sorry sold out!
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #1370
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Rileygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 770

deleted
__________________

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #1371
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer
 
WillAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
The tub size is the total amount of FP+ available on any given day at that theme park, The hot water is the tier 1 fast passes, so 'e' attractions, the cold water is the tier 2 fast passes, (b attractions, cs fp+s ect).
I still don't believe the tub will be big enough to allow much more water to be added from the "same-day FP+" faucets.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #1372
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran
 
ArwenMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAustin View Post
I still don't believe the tub will be big enough to allow much more water to be added from the "same-day FP+" faucets.
I agree. The more I think about this, the more I think that there won't be many same-days for headliners anyway.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #1373
magicbob
DIS Veteran
 
magicbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clebeouf View Post
if I want Toy Story between 10 and 11 am, then we can try to schedule that. You actually have a little more control than with the old system. I decide that day that 10 to 11 doesn't work, I simply log onto my app on my phone and change it or go to a kiosk within the park to make changes. . .
Good luck with that. Because the FP+ reservations for TSMM will probably all be gone by 9am...


9am sixty days before you arrive, that is!!!
__________________


Ratatouille, the Ride!


magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #1374
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Rileygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 770

I respectully suggest you are wrong regarding the size of the bathtub.. I thought so too at first. I really did. However, even with rudimentary calcualtions based on a 20% hourly rate of of fast passes, combined with the overal OHRC, (and it could actually be 60%) that not only will the tub be big enough to do this, at the MK on a consistent basis, this system will allow for 5 or 6 prescheduled fp's and more then one level 1 most of the year, and still dump thousands of fp's in the system on the day of. Just do the math. DHS should be able to consistently deliver extra as well. Weak links are epcot and AK

And the value of this entire system is completely diminished if all fps were dumped into the system at the 60 day mark. In my opinion

I have to edit my comments above again. If the theory is that this new system is to make the newb or casual visitors time much better then they are currently having, why would they allow all the good fastpasses to be gone on the first day they are released, at the first hour. I suspect that a good percentage of the population Disney is trying to target are INDEED the people who by there tickets either 1 month in advance, or even one day in advance. I think the mouse's preference is that the further out they can get accurate data the better, but even 1 month, or 1 week or even 1 day is going to overall improve the guests experience, and provide better data and control. And in order for the casual visitor to have a pretty decent time, some pretty decent fast passes need to be available 2 weeks before, even a day before, even the day off. As time goes on, the mice get better trained, and buy their tickets earlier.....
__________________

Last edited by Rileygirl; 05-29-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #1375
magicbob
DIS Veteran
 
magicbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
If the theory is that this new system is to make the newb or casual visitors time much better then they are currently having, why would they allow all the good fastpasses to be gone on the first day they are released, at the first hour. I suspect that a good percentage of the population Disney is trying to target are INDEED the people who by there tickets either 1 month in advance, or even one day in advance. I think the mouse's preference is that the further out they can get accurate data the better, but even 1 month, or 1 week or even 1 day is going to overall improve the guests experience, and provide better data and control. And in order for the casual visitor to have a pretty decent time, some pretty decent fast passes need to be available 2 weeks before, even a day before, even the day off. As time goes on, the mice get better trained, and buy their tickets earlier.....
If this happens, it will punish the "planners" even further. They will have to keep checking back every day for 60 days to see if their desired FP+ time has been released yet. Meanwhile, the happy go lucky neophyte just gets lucky and scores the most desired FP+ times because he waited until the last minute to purchase his tickets.

Can someone please explain to me why "first come first served" has apparently become a hate crime in this day and age?
__________________


Ratatouille, the Ride!


magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #1376
capegirl
DIS Veteran
 
capegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post

They will also manipulate the overall temperature and fill line of the tub, if MK is getting full to fast, or DHS is not getting enough. The can do this by pulling things out of inventory, just as easily as putting it in.

If the fast passes are indeed going to be prorated throughout the 60 days, and even throughout the day of, why would anyone need to book at the 60 day mark?

Valid question, and I have two words for you. Psychology and Knowledge. Very few people will know how this system is working, will have it figured out.


How is it possible a newbie, who indeed has bought into the idea to buy their pass 60 days in advance, how will disney educate them on the planning, and which ones are best?

I have to say I think disney has no intention on trying to educate anyone, or try to get them to plan.

Would the potential of this not blow the doors off the current marketing system of random emails? Flyers, Newspaper ads? Would it not totaly reinvent marketing that is seen today for theme parks specifically, and perhaps the open market as well?




Yes! Your bathtub analogy makes perfect sense. It would be a necessity for them to control FP+ during busy times. This would be different from the whole ADR process; once the popular dinning reservations are gone, they are gone for good unless someone happens to cancel. They could never let this happen with attractions. Agreed, I do not believe they have plans to 'educate'.... they will want visitors to instead focus on fun the apps., etc. Many people will not care about figuring out this new system to make it work for them.
I also agree that this system would reinvent the Disney marketing that we are now familiar with.
capegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #1377
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,304

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbob View Post
If this happens, it will punish the "planners" even further. They will have to keep checking back every day for 60 days to see if their desired FP+ time has been released yet. Meanwhile, the happy go lucky neophyte just gets lucky and scores the most desired FP+ times because he waited until the last minute to purchase his tickets.


Actually it does still benefit the planner. Because the planner will fuss and fume about it, but will indeed keep checking back until they get what they want.

Once we had our BOG ADRs for our December trip (what a FIASCO of poor IT, poor infrastructure and poor management decisions THAT day was!) we got a crazy idea that it would be fun to eat in both castles in the MK on the same day. CRT was already booked. But if you set your mind to something you can often make it happen. I knew if I kept checking, I'd find something and I did. The first time I got wasn't great, but I took it and kept checking back. Eventually I got exactly what I was after.

Most newbies aren't going to go to that trouble. You can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Many of us planners are apparently thirsty enough to not only seek out the water, but drink quite heavily once we get there!

But there IS a point at which even I will decide it just isn't worth the effort. Bringing it down to the individual ride level could prove to be that point.



Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbob View Post
Can someone please explain to me why "first come first served" has apparently become a hate crime in this day and age?
So true.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #1378
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,792

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDERNESS FAN 55 View Post
Universal has you PAY for their "skip the lines" pass ??? And that's ok but you people are complaining that Disney MAY someday do the same ?? Yes it's free to hotel guests but if Disney did the same for their hotel guests I'm guessing this board would be shut down from the influx of hatred for a company wanting to make money. Money that they CONTINUALLY put back into the parks and other areas of the complex.

By the way the skip the line pass is NOT on every ride and not available on harry potter.
There are only two rides it is not available for. One is a very low capacity ride that is meant for children called Pteranadon Flyers and the other is Forbidden Journey.

I totally expect Disney to start charging for fastpasses. I think you'll probably get 3 free (one from each category) and then be able to pay if you want more or have the number free increase depending on what level of hotel you stay at.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #1379
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran
 
agavegirl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,523

Fascinating Rileygirl. I think you may be onto something. I've also considered the marketing opportunity of the ap. If just about every website I go to knows I have recently visited a site for comfortable shoes and suggests them to me, what could the Disney ap do with our information. I mentioned that the data would likely include what we purchased and when as well as where we have eaten etc. In addition to suggested ADRs based on cancellations or open tables, why not special "coupon code" deals to purchase similar items in the park you are "scheduled" for the next day. Or if you bought a Pluto plush in the morning, the next time you check the ap they offer a M&G FP time for Pluto.

For many guests, this would seem fun and give them the sense they are getting some great bonus experiences. Others (me) would be freaking out at the data mining going on while I was in the park. Big Brother, leave me alone.
agavegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #1380
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Rileygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 770

deleted
__________________

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: