Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:39 AM   #196
amcn928
Earning My Ears

If you try to upgrade to a river view once up arrive do you forfeit your free dining? Just curious...we had river view but went to pool view so we could be in oak manor.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #197
raider97
DIS Veteran

We are planning to try out the campfire while we are there... should I bring bug spray? I know WDW is good about spraying, but we usually travel in December so I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks,

Stephanie
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #198
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveallthingsdisney View Post
When free dining is offered, are the Royal Rooms excluded? I know that the Little Mermaid rooms are at AoA, so I suspect the Royal Rooms are as well due to their limited number and popularity but I wanted to double check. Thanks!!
They weren't excluded from any of the room discount promos so I doubt they were excluded from free dining. However, since there is a limited number of them, I suspect they would book up fast.

Mousefan73, I have never heard of any Disney resort offering a day room. The latest "late" check out we have been given is 1pm, but usually its noon and permission isn't granted until the night before or day of. HTH!
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 05-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #199
mommy2jack
Mouseketeer

Hello all!
We just returned home from our stay at POR. I faxed my request in 7 days out and I received 2 out of the 3 requests. I asked to be in Alligator Bayou, First floor in building 38,16, or 17. Our room was in AB on the first floor but in building 36. Which seemed so far away from everything. It was 2am by the time we checked in to POR, due to a flight delay so I didn't have the energy to ask about a closer room. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable and that was all that mattered to me! We had no major bus issues. Used the North depot most days. The only issue we had was the morning we were trying to go to the MK for an early CRT ADR. We sat and watched 3 AK buses and 2 Epcot and HS buses pass us by before 1 MK bus came and it was SO packed (because it was the only one) that they actually skipped the South depot all together, the bus driver said they were going to send out another bus. Coming home from the parks were not an issue either, we seemed to time everything perfectly enough that we made the first bus every time. The food court was ok. The pizza was nothing great, but the ice cream was good! Overall, if I were to stay at this resort again I think I would pay extra for a preferred room (which we wanted to do, but it wasn't offered with the Spring promotion). But I think DH and I have decided that we like being offsite better. We own a timeshare anyways so we'll be looking into Bonnet Creek next time around.

Have a great trip to everyone leaving soon and thank you to everyone on this board for all the useful information!

Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #200
phoebec
Mouseketeer

We are going next June. We stayed at POR June 2011. We loved it. I was throwing around the idea of trying Beach Club, but have decided to stick with POR. We will be able to stay days longer at POR and I know we love it. My fear is paying more money somewhere else and wishing we were at POR the whole time. We are a family of 5, so we will be in the AB. We really loved the AB last time. I think I will book preferred. I thought about booking river view and requesting 14 or 27, but not sure.

For anyone who has been in 38, how long of a walk is it to the food court?

The only thing I will wish I had was a balcony, but I can live with it. My husband and I don't always like to go to sleep the same time as the kids and a balcony would be great for that.

Really looking forward to next year, almost at the one year mark and that means I can really start planning soon.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #201
Patience
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveallthingsdisney View Post
When free dining is offered, are the Royal Rooms excluded? I know that the Little Mermaid rooms are at AoA, so I suspect the Royal Rooms are as well due to their limited number and popularity but I wanted to double check. Thanks!!
I have a Royal Room booked at POR in September with free dining! I called at 7:00 am on the day free dining in September was offered to the general public. Can't wait!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #202
CouponCon
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohangel View Post
My husband wants to know if you need a Florida fishing license to fish at Riverside.
We fished at POR and did the fishing excursion and no license was needed.

1990 Offsite...2001 AKL...2010 Offsite...2012 OKW...2013 POR....Feb 2014 Universal Studios..March 2014 POR.............. 2 Rooms Pop Century 5/24/2015
Old 05-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #203
disneybound2010
DIS Veteran

We are considering the Alligator Bayou for our 2014 trip. We are overall fine with not having any fancy views and are not too worried about the distance as we will have our own vehicle to get around if need be. Our only concern is noise. Of the buildings, are there any that would be considered more noisy(bumped up to roads, etc?) I expect that after a day at the parks, we will be too tired to notice anything, but DH has voiced this concern.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #204
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybound2010 View Post
We are considering the Alligator Bayou for our 2014 trip. We are overall fine with not having any fancy views and are not too worried about the distance as we will have our own vehicle to get around if need be. Our only concern is noise. Of the buildings, are there any that would be considered more noisy(bumped up to roads, etc?) I expect that after a day at the parks, we will be too tired to notice anything, but DH has voiced this concern.
The entire resort is amazingly quiet.

I have stayed every level; even at standard view facing the parking lot there is no issue. We would hang out each morning and sit outside, since we had five adults and three kids in two rooms; it took some time to get ready.

Even when the staff is dropped off in the morning, they are very respectful of everyone's privacy and people who want to sleep in. None of the buildings are really directly on the road - you can see the map on the front page of this thread.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #205
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcn928 View Post
If you try to upgrade to a river view once up arrive do you forfeit your free dining? Just curious...we had river view but went to pool view so we could be in oak manor.
You are basically starting a new reservation; and you will lose free dining.

You can certainly request to upgrade when you check in, but most likely they will quote you the difference to upgrade and it won't be with free dining. I am curious as to why you went from Riverview to Pool View to get to Oak Manor; both Parterre Place and Oak Manor have those categories. You don't get a specific building with a booking category - you could be in either building.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #206
tinkerbell1984
Mouseketeer

Sorry! I deleted this post from the old thread, I didn't realize it was full. I find my threads by going into my post from my profile and didn't see the new one.

--

We are back from our stay 5/18-5/25....

This was my first time at POR and other then the horrible bus ride back and forth to MK that I posted about before, our stay was very nice and quiet...Walking was difficult at times but I expected it.

As I said, I faxed a request in about 5 days before asking for either AB bldg 16 or 17 bottom floor, OR Magnolia Terrace, any floor. I ended up with AB #17, bottom floor, and even got upgraded from Standard to Garden. This was our view walking out the door:

It was a beautiful resort. The food court area could be bigger, it got really crowded ordering food. The bus situation I had was a disaster, so eventually any time a bus didn't go to South first, we started to get off at East. I was paranoid from then on and it took too long riding all the way around anyway. For those who missed my post, a MK bus went to the E/N/W stops and skipped South with no announcement and made my family ride back to the MK. I report her and requested an update from the Bus Manager, and have heard NOTHING by the way.

The main pool was a bit small and crowded...The Quiet pools were decent sized for extra pools, but also got pretty crowded as well.

The food at the resort was good. My kids got to be Jr Chef's and decorated cookies one evening which they really enjoyed. While we were walking out to the car to leave, a CM stopped me (he was in a golf cart) and asked if we were leaving. When I told him I was he handed me two wands from CRT (at least that is what was printed on them). That was nice. My kids loved them.

The resort was real quiet, we were never bothered with outside noise like at the All Stars. Didn't hear anyone upstairs either. We were in room 1708. We did get Birthday Buttons at check-in (I remember someone saying they were told they didn't do that there). Both front desk girls I dealt with (at check in and when complaining about the bus ride) were very friendly.

From walking around the resort, I preferred the look of AB over Mansions...I originally thought I'd feel the other way, but I loved the nature look of AB...We saw a couple bunnies too.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #207
jewelsb
Mouseketeer

26 days to go and still no Mickey Mail. Should I be worried?

Port Orleans Riverside 6/13

Old 05-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #208
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsb
26 days to go and still no Mickey Mail. Should I be worried?
You usually get it about 30 days out, so keep your eyes pealed for it.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #209
ohnowewontgo
Disney here We Come

Sooo who has done online check in lately? I just did ours at around 53 days out. I thought there were more room requests that you could add. I could only pick: corner, highest floor, ground floor. I thought maybe you could request a building, or a section. I guess not. Is that normal? Only 4 little boxes you can check?

Old 05-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #210
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnowewontgo View Post
Sooo who has done online check in lately? I just did ours at around 53 days out. I thought there were more room requests that you could add. I could only pick: corner, highest floor, ground floor. I thought maybe you could request a building, or a section. I guess not. Is that normal? Only 4 little boxes you can check?
You need to call CRO to add any request beyond the boxes on the online check-in.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: