Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #1471
amejiajr8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llnolte

Thank you for such a wonderful idea. My friend's daughter has cancer and absolutely loves the Disney princesses. I wanted to bring her back something special that was signed. A pink canvas will be perfect!
This page has an image of a picture frame signed by disney characters.
http://www.babble.com/babble-voices/...-and-breakfast
amejiajr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #1472
firsttimecruisin3
Earning My Ears

more tips

Hi there - I just came back from my first Disney Cruise (the REPO cruise from LA to Vancouver) and I had a few tips to share:

* If you plan on bringing something for the characters to sign at the greetings and it's not a book, bring something hard for them to sign it on. At the character breakfast, the character "handlers" kept telling us to bring our pillowcases to guest services to have it signed since it was harder for the characters to sign. We borrowed a clip board at the princess greetings and that worked great.
* If you are a first timer and don't get a lanyard with a holder for your Key to the World, consider bringing a small travel purse to carry. I lost my key on the first day. After that I brought a very small bag around and used it to hold the pillow cases, permanent markers, the Navigator and my key.
* We didn't realize until halfway through the trip that we could've eaten breakfast and lunch at Tritons most of the time. This was a much more relaxing experience than the buffet in my opinionm though a much smaller selection.
* We were able to book a reservation at PALO onboard, even though it was full in advance.
* I wasn't terribly impressed with the Princess Tea - we signed up for it right away at Guest Services and got tickets. There were only two princesses and the whole experience was 20 minutes (they served apple juice and one cookie), though the kids did get to take photos with the princesses.
* For the main princess greeting in the lobby, get their EARLY!!! Like 30 minutes early if possible. The last people in line were in line for well over 2 hours.
* Our little one is over 2 1/2. We were able to get her into the Oceaneers Club - they asked her questions to make sure she could communicate, and they checked with us to make sure she was potty trained. Our little one is VERY independent so we thought she would be bored at the nursery and would prefer the club. In the end, she didn't care for the Oceaneers Club and we brought her once or twice to the nursery which she loved. The Oceaneers Club can be pretty overwhelming for the little ones.
* I wish I had brough more activities for the kids to do in our stateroom. The weather wasn't great and there wasn't as much to do during the day for our kiddos that was age appropriate as I had expected.
* Next time I will bring a cheap digital camera for my 5 years old to take her own photos. On one of the port days, she held onto my iPhone all day and took a ton of pics - I am going to make a photo albulm of the pics she made.
* I didn't realize how many kids would wear their character costumes for most of the trip. Our kids wore theirs at least 1/2 the time.
* If you plan on doing laundry, bring travel size amounts of detergent and dryer sheets. For the detergent, send away to Tide for a free sample. Much better than what they did onboard. You can keep the embroidered laundry bag in the room for a $5 charge to your stateroom. I took ours and plan on getting our name embroidered on it.
* I made a magnet for our door by designing something on the computer, getting an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper laminated and putting magnets on the back. Much cheaper than printing on magent paper and it looked nice in my opinion.
* I was suprised how many people used bags instead of fish extenders outside their door. I delayed signing up for it (and missed the deadline) because I was overwhelmed by the idea of making a fish extender, but so many people just used a Disney bag.
firsttimecruisin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #1473
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimecruisin3 View Post
Hi there - I just came back from my first Disney Cruise (the REPO cruise from LA to Vancouver) and I had a few tips to share:

* If you plan on bringing something for the characters to sign at the greetings and it's not a book, bring something hard for them to sign it on. At the character breakfast, the character "handlers" kept telling us to bring our pillowcases to guest services to have it signed since it was harder for the characters to sign. We borrowed a clip board at the princess greetings and that worked great.
* If you are a first timer and don't get a lanyard with a holder for your Key to the World, consider bringing a small travel purse to carry. I lost my key on the first day. After that I brought a very small bag around and used it to hold the pillow cases, permanent markers, the Navigator and my key.
* We didn't realize until halfway through the trip that we could've eaten breakfast and lunch at Tritons most of the time. This was a much more relaxing experience than the buffet in my opinionm though a much smaller selection.
* We were able to book a reservation at PALO onboard, even though it was full in advance.
* I wasn't terribly impressed with the Princess Tea - we signed up for it right away at Guest Services and got tickets. There were only two princesses and the whole experience was 20 minutes (they served apple juice and one cookie), though the kids did get to take photos with the princesses.
* For the main princess greeting in the lobby, get their EARLY!!! Like 30 minutes early if possible. The last people in line were in line for well over 2 hours.
* Our little one is over 2 1/2. We were able to get her into the Oceaneers Club - they asked her questions to make sure she could communicate, and they checked with us to make sure she was potty trained. Our little one is VERY independent so we thought she would be bored at the nursery and would prefer the club. In the end, she didn't care for the Oceaneers Club and we brought her once or twice to the nursery which she loved. The Oceaneers Club can be pretty overwhelming for the little ones.
* I wish I had brough more activities for the kids to do in our stateroom. The weather wasn't great and there wasn't as much to do during the day for our kiddos that was age appropriate as I had expected.
* Next time I will bring a cheap digital camera for my 5 years old to take her own photos. On one of the port days, she held onto my iPhone all day and took a ton of pics - I am going to make a photo albulm of the pics she made.
* I didn't realize how many kids would wear their character costumes for most of the trip. Our kids wore theirs at least 1/2 the time.
* If you plan on doing laundry, bring travel size amounts of detergent and dryer sheets. For the detergent, send away to Tide for a free sample. Much better than what they did onboard. You can keep the embroidered laundry bag in the room for a $5 charge to your stateroom. I took ours and plan on getting our name embroidered on it.
* I made a magnet for our door by designing something on the computer, getting an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper laminated and putting magnets on the back. Much cheaper than printing on magent paper and it looked nice in my opinion.
* I was suprised how many people used bags instead of fish extenders outside their door. I delayed signing up for it (and missed the deadline) because I was overwhelmed by the idea of making a fish extender, but so many people just used a Disney bag.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:40 AM   #1474
TheTews
Earning My Ears

Tye of Candy?

We plan on dropping off pillowcases at guest services and have read that the characters love treats....what kind of candy is best to gift them?
TheTews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #1475
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimecruisin3 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences and insight. I truly hope the Disney bags went beyond the plastic shopping bag. I loved participating in the FE but know there are passengers who think the FEs "junk" up the hallways because we had the pleasure of standing behind one who was complaining at guest services.

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #1476
BealsRwe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTews View Post
We plan on dropping off pillowcases at guest services and have read that the characters love treats....what kind of candy is best to gift them?
Whatever candy you like...I usually take a few bags of individually wrapped candy bars...always appreciated!

Platinum DCL
17 DCL cruises, 1 Carnival, 1 Royal Caribbean, and counting!!!
BealsRwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #1477
2BoysMom
Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think

oops, sorry

PTR & TR-1st trip to Disney, 1st Christmas. Celebrating our new daughter!

Coronado Springs Jan. 2004, Contemporary & POFQ May 2005, POR & Disney cruise Aug. 2005, POFQ Sep. 2006, Ft. Wilderness cabin May 2007, Boardwalk-Christmas Dec 2007, POR March 2008, Ft. Wilderness cabin May 2008, Pop & Coronado Spgs - Halloween Oct. 2008, Offsite-Princess half-marathon March 2009, AsMov spontaneous 1 nighter April 2009, Disney Cruise May/June 2009, Offsite-business trip Jan 2010, Poly-Christmas 2010, Bonnet Creek May 2011, Bonnet Creek - Halloween Oct 2011, Wilderness Lodge 10 yr. Anniversary weekend Jan 2012, POR & Swan /Dolphin Oct 2012.

Last edited by 2BoysMom; 05-29-2013 at 08:39 AM. Reason: mistake
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #1478
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Dreams View Post
Wow... It took me the better part of a week, but I've read all 98 pages! It was well worth it! I've learned so much and can't wait till we cruise this summer!

For character signatures, I plan to paint a 12 x 12 canvas a light pink and have all the princesses sign it. Then hang it in my daughter's bedroom I may do another one that is just white and have all the characters sign in colorful markers...

Something that people may not know is that you cannot sign up for the 5K on CC before the cruise. If they do have it (chances are they will ), you'll see it in the navigator and will have to meet somewhere the morning of to register. You can also buy 5K t-shirts afterwards on CC
Thank you for the CC info. I wasn't aware you couldn't sign up earlier so that's great to know.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 06-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #1479
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Dreams View Post
Wow... It took me the better part of a week, but I've read all 98 pages! It was well worth it! I've learned so much and can't wait till we cruise this summer!

For character signatures, I plan to paint a 12 x 12 canvas a light pink and have all the princesses sign it. Then hang it in my daughter's bedroom I may do another one that is just white and have all the characters sign in colorful markers...

Something that people may not know is that you cannot sign up for the 5K on CC before the cruise. If they do have it (chances are they will ), you'll see it in the navigator and will have to meet somewhere the morning of to register. You can also buy 5K t-shirts afterwards on CC
Thank you for the CC info. I was not aware of you being unable to sign up earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #1480
LaVerne15
Earning My Ears

We wrap small treat size kit kats bars in $1 bills to give as tips for room service. The crew members love it and kids like to hand out the tips.
LaVerne15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #1481
chandlermolly
Earning My Ears

Great tips! There is so much they do not tell you. Thanks!
chandlermolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #1482
Claw
Earning My Ears

booking onboard

I booked onboard in 2009 and am finally getting to use it in 2014 after several years of changing my placecard or dummy date .So rebook if you can ,even if you cant forsee or imagine being able to go in the next year or two.
Also, I would like to suggest remember everyone on your cruise is on vacation as well so have a good attitude in line and such. I had a fellow cruiser be very rude to my son age 6 at the time on Castaway cay for sitting on a hammock that they had saved with a towel. Every hammock on the family beach was saved by 10 am. I understand wanting to relax in a hammock on the beach but lets take turns ofcouse they were plentiful by 2:30. Ihad the feeling by the end of my 7 night cruise that everyone was so used to the disney magic and being catered to that they had forgotten how to think of others and play nice. This wasn.t our only incident w fellow cruisers on the last day on that cruise.

Those that have been on the Dream or Fantasy,is Castaway alot more crowded with more cruiseRs? Curious since our last trip was before Castaway additions

2011 Coronado Springs Dec.
2009 7 nights on Disney Magic
2007 Nickelodeon hotel MNOSHP
2004 Dec ASM
2000 June 1st Disney land/sea Wonder
Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #1483
tinyteen19401
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw View Post
I booked onboard in 2009 and am finally getting to use it in 2014 after several years of changing my placecard or dummy date .So rebook if you can ,even if you cant forsee or imagine being able to go in the next year or two.
Also, I would like to suggest remember everyone on your cruise is on vacation as well so have a good attitude in line and such. I had a fellow cruiser be very rude to my son age 6 at the time on Castaway cay for sitting on a hammock that they had saved with a towel. Every hammock on the family beach was saved by 10 am. I understand wanting to relax in a hammock on the beach but lets take turns ofcouse they were plentiful by 2:30. Ihad the feeling by the end of my 7 night cruise that everyone was so used to the disney magic and being catered to that they had forgotten how to think of others and play nice. This wasn.t our only incident w fellow cruisers on the last day on that cruise.

Those that have been on the Dream or Fantasy,is Castaway alot more crowded with more cruiseRs? Curious since our last trip was before Castaway additions
It would be nice if people just used them as they needed them and not save them.
tinyteen19401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #1484
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyteen19401

It would be nice if people just used them as they needed them and not save them.
Exactly!!! Unfortunately there are people who just think of themselves and forget, or not care, that it's everyone else's vacation also.
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. AKL stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #1485
firsttimecruisin3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post

Thanks for sharing your experiences and insight. I truly hope the Disney bags went beyond the plastic shopping bag. I loved participating in the FE but know there are passengers who think the FEs "junk" up the hallways because we had the pleasure of standing behind one who was complaining at guest services.
They were mostly nice bags. Nothing that junked up the hallway in my opinion. Some were backpacks or the bags you can buy by the counter at the Disney store.
firsttimecruisin3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: