Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I totally understand.
I've got a situation with my husband in that he keeps wanting to shorten our trip, visit with people who are his friends only off site and even have one guy join us one day. We are 2 weeks away from the trip when he brings that one up. I'm so relieved that I chose for us to stay onsite this trip instead of renting a condo.
I did shorten the trip a bit for him but told him that he is more than welcome to take the car and visit with his friends off site but the kids and I won't be joining him. But not on the day we HDDR scheduled since that is 100% paid for already.

And as far as the fellow who wants to join us - I gave my husband the 2 days we don't have ADR's or a tour and told him those are the days that work for us. I figure whatever happens the kids and I can always leave my husband and his friend to do their own thing if needed.

So my story just goes to show that you can work it out if you talk to your BF. You will both need to be ok with whatever you decide.

And I'd plan on touring alot without the whole group. I bet once they get there, they aren't going to want to get out of bed and get moving in the morning or want to go where you want to.

It's nice that you have alot of time to figure it out. Good luck!

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #17
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

It may help to find the middle ground. Keep your plans to stay at the BC and your ADRs. However, I suggest perhaps that since you are Disney literate as well as a planner that you plan a few special events for the whole family. Perhaps a morning or lunch ADR for a meal with characters that will make the kids happy.

By planning some together time, you leave the way clear for you and DBF to have some couple time.

I did this a few years ago when the whole family invited themselves on a DL trip. I shuddered at the idea of trying to do anything with 16 extra non-planning people. I knew it would be a lot of "where do we go next" and "I don't know what do you want to do" - ugh.

I planned a few meals to make everyone happy. Then I would do things such as we are going to X, you can join if you want. Usually after one or two attractions we would lose part of the group to some other thing or for rest, exactly as we wanted!

Good luck!

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

I have a slightly different take. You can plan all you want before hand. You can have as many discussions as you want with the family before hand. You can make all the ADRs you want for just the two of you.

You'll get there, you'll say, "We're going to . . . ", your in-laws will give your BF the puppy dog look - "But we want to go to . . . " or "eat at . . . " or "swim" or whatever, and your BF will cave. Then, even though you're staying at a different resort (and I bet it won't take long before BF tries to convince you to move or "My parents will be sooooo unhappy"), you'll be mad at him, he'll feel stuck in the middle, and you'll all end up having a terrible time.

Wait and see if they actually make any reservations. If they do, cancel yours and book at another time.

Go with them and you will regret it.

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #19
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpisani21 View Post
Thanks for the advice. DBF is wonderful. I think his parents and family just try to make him feel in the middle sometimes. I'm pretty go with the flow too and I think that adds to the problem. Since I'm always like yeah whatever they have sorta taken this for granted. I think BF and I will be having some chats with the family about the expectations of this trip. For now I'm planning the meals for the 2 of us. If they want to join they can make reservations for all 9. And you're right about when they change their mindset from GF to family member. It's really a shame that some people act this way. I also think the fact that we are more secure financially and more responsible adds to it. DBFs brother and his wife always have their hands out for something and only come around for free stuff so I think his parents fuss over them more because they're scared the relationship will end if they don't. Again, this is a shame. I just need to not take it personally and be more (in a kind way) vocal to BF and let him handle it.
The first chat needs to happen with the BF. Be absolutely clear on what you want and be firm about it. There is no reason to let anyone ruin YOUR vacation. You are paying for it out of your own pocket.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #20
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DBF and I have a trip planned for first week of December. I of course have been busy making my plans, doing my research, buying MVMCP tickets, and getting my list of ADRs ready for my 180 day window which is June 4th. I am really excited for this trip because even though we go every year this will be my first disney trip with the Christmas decor.

Now for the bummer... Today at dinner BF parents, brother and sister in law and 3 kids say they want to come too. Now I am family friendly and love the kiddos but it seems like when we all vacation together DBFs family ends up fussing over the kids and the brother and his wife the whole time and my bf and I kinda get the shaft. Is it wrong for me to be bummed? Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy them all but it is hard for me to let my weeks and months of planning go for some last minute tagalongs. Any tips or suggestions on how to try and make this a pleasant trip? Oh and I should add BF and I are staying at beach club and now there aren't any cheaper rooms available for rest of the family at beach club so they are trying to convince us to stay at a moderate. Not to be grouchy but I like the beach club and I don't want to change!!! Help!!!

Really? You're jealous that your BF's family pays more attention to married son and their grandchildren instead of you? Their son's long term (I assume) shacked up girlfriend? I think it's natural your BF's parents to have a closer relationship with the married son's family. As a former long term shacked up girlfriend I have to tell you that my in-laws (who are wonderful, BTW) treated me one way before we were married, then differently once we were married and differently again when we had a child. My relationship with them changed as my relationship with my husband changed.

Quote:
Yeah I agree. Thanks for your support! It's just hard because BFs family will pay for brother and his family but not us since we can afford it and don't need their help. So we end up paying our way, making the plans, and then basically throwing our plans out the window to try and make everyone happy. BF doesn't like conflict so he does whatever his family says. Makes me feel frustrated sometimes because even though I've been dating BF for almost 7 years sometimes i dont feel like they value my opinion or feelings like that of BF brother and sister in law.

I tried to say we don't need to do everything together. We can book some reservations together and some apart. We shall see. It's hard being a planner but having no voice to say what I think.
I hate to say, but that is a huge red flag. Stick around here enough and you will read about wives with husbands and children where the husband does not support his wife and kowtows to his mom so he can avoid conflict with his family. It never turns out well. FTR, it doesn't sound like you're "in the middle", it sounds like you are the caboose. It seems that your BF has shown you who he is in the last 7 years and you are doomed to throwing out your plans to make everyone else happy .

IF your BF can stand up to his family and lend you his support, here is what I would suggest. (1) Stay at your current resort. They can stay at a moderate. It will be better having the physical distance between you. (2) Go ahead and tell them your plans as you go: "We're going to the MK tomorrow. Give us a call when you get there." but don't change your plans for them. If they want to join you, fine. If not, that's fine too. If you want to be there at rope drop but they want to sleep in, it's all good. (3) Make a couple of ADRs for all of you. You won't escape being with them, but you might as well be in control of when and where you eat with them. (4) Keep a couple of your "BF/GF only" ADRs. Don't let them know about them in advance so they can't crash your party.

Good luck.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #21
mjpisani21
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post

Really? You're jealous that your BF's family pays more attention to married son and their grandchildren instead of you? Their son's long term (I assume) shacked up girlfriend? I think it's natural your BF's parents to have a closer relationship with the married son's family. As a former long term shacked up girlfriend I have to tell you that my in-laws (who are wonderful, BTW) treated me one way before we were married, then differently once we were married and differently again when we had a child. My relationship with them changed as my relationship with my husband changed.

I hate to say, but that is a huge red flag. Stick around here enough and you will read about wives with husbands and children where the husband does not support his wife and kowtows to his mom so he can avoid conflict with his family. It never turns out well. FTR, it doesn't sound like you're "in the middle", it sounds like you are the caboose. It seems that your BF has shown you who he is in the last 7 years and you are doomed to throwing out your plans to make everyone else happy .

IF your BF can stand up to his family and lend you his support, here is what I would suggest. (1) Stay at your current resort. They can stay at a moderate. It will be better having the physical distance between you. (2) Go ahead and tell them your plans as you go: "We're going to the MK tomorrow. Give us a call when you get there." but don't change your plans for them. If they want to join you, fine. If not, that's fine too. If you want to be there at rope drop but they want to sleep in, it's all good. (3) Make a couple of ADRs for all of you. You won't escape being with them, but you might as well be in control of when and where you eat with them. (4) Keep a couple of your "BF/GF only" ADRs. Don't let them know about them in advance so they can't crash your party.

Good luck.
Robin- I appreciate your comments. I understand that there is a difference between married relationships and dating relationships. I do however think that being married into a family or not shouldn't affect the ability for people to show kindness and respect equally amongst everyone. Also I think my original venting came from a place of frustration and annoyance that the brother and his family and parents were again going to impact out plans and were expecting the world to bend to their needs. I am all for compromise and coming together but i do think it needs to be a two way street. I spoke to my BF and he is on the same page with me. We wont be changing our resort and we won't be doing everything together. For the record, DBF is very supportive and no we aren't shacked up. Anyways I'm done venting and I am going to wait and see. Who knows what could happen.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: