Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Jennafoo
Mouseketeer

BOG Doubts

So, I'm going to WDW for the first time ever in September and I'm going solo. I upgraded to Deluxe from free dining, and am usually planning for one table service and one signature a day.

On my MK day, I lucked into a BoG reservation...for 4:45. It makes for an awkward day, since I can't have lunch and then such an early dinner. Current plan is to have breakfast at Kona, a snack and then BOG.

But now I'm doubting. I've heard such mixed reviews and I won't have kids with me. Is it worth it? Maybe I should give up the res and go spend the credits somewhere nicer. Or try for lunch and do dinner elsewhere. I'd like to see the castle, but I'm worried its not worth the hassle.

Thoughts?
Jennafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

I think the people you hear grousing about BOG probably had unrealistic expectations going into it, because it did get an awful lot of hype. It may not be the end all, be all, but it is quite good and if you're looking for a TS place in the Magic Kingdom, it's the best of the bunch and it's not a close call.

Also, I don't think the presence or absence of kids makes much difference as it pertains to BOG. If anything, it's a bit more adult friendly because (1) you can have booze, and (2) their is neither a hot dog nor an order of chicken fingers to be found on the menu.

If you don't want to go, don't go, but the food there is very good -- particularly for the price -- and it's well worth a visit. Just have reasonable expectations.

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015) - DLR (July 2014)
DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

I would do it for the opportunity! It will be early so it should go quick and I love trying new things.
WsPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears

Honestly I've been trying to get a reservation...no idea if I'd like it, I just want to try it! I say give it a shot! The worst that will happen is that it's just not your cup of tea. The next meal will be better!

WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Jennafoo
Mouseketeer

I guess my main issue is that the early time will mean I only spend two credits that day (I get three meals and two snacks a day.) maybe I can spend it on another day. Even though I'm getting the DxdDP discounted, I don't want to not spend credits...

And yes, I realize this is a 'first world problem'.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
WDW in Pearls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennafoo View Post
I guess my main issue is that the early time will mean I only spend two credits that day (I get three meals and two snacks a day.) maybe I can spend it on another day. Even though I'm getting the DxdDP discounted, I don't want to not spend credits...

And yes, I realize this is a 'first world problem'.
Why not just book a signature meal some other time? I had the deluxe plan last year and ran into the same issue.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

Definitely go!

I traveled solo in April and was lucky enough to get a reservation at BOG. It was a great meal and service. I had previously seen the inside of the restaurant in October during dress rehearsals, so knew what to expect as far as setting.

Afterwards I was able to check out the other dining rooms and meet with the Beast for photos.

As far as the extra TS credit for the day, as the PP suggested, book at signature restaurant. I would suggest Citricos at GF or The Brown Derby at HS. This is how I handled two days of extra TS credits on my dining plan. It was great was to enjoy restaurant I normally might not have dined.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
jhryb
DIS Veteran

I say go and then double up on your signatures another day
Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennafoo View Post
So, I'm going to WDW for the first time ever in September and I'm going solo. I upgraded to Deluxe from free dining, and am usually planning for one table service and one signature a day.

On my MK day, I lucked into a BoG reservation...for 4:45. It makes for an awkward day, since I can't have lunch and then such an early dinner. Current plan is to have breakfast at Kona, a snack and then BOG.

But now I'm doubting. I've heard such mixed reviews and I won't have kids with me. Is it worth it? Maybe I should give up the res and go spend the credits somewhere nicer. Or try for lunch and do dinner elsewhere. I'd like to see the castle, but I'm worried its not worth the hassle.

Thoughts?
We have gone for lunch 3 times and loved it each time. Cancelled our dinner ressies after hearing that you had much more freedom at lunch - choosing your seat, room, being able to walk around as long as you wanted, take endless pictures and really enjoy the ambiance. We have no regrets! Will go there every trip now for lunch.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
TwinkleKS
Mouseketeer

I'd keep it and do signature dining for another meal. I've eaten at BOG for lunch and supper. I preferred the atmosphere at supper time. At lunch it just seemed like the CM and the dinners were very busy / harried / hurried ... I'm not sure what adjective I want here, but it wasn't as calm.
TwinkleKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

I assume you won't want to do 2 signature meals on another day. But you can use the credits til midnight on your check out day. Will you have time for a nice sit down lunch before you leave?
Old 05-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #12
WDW in Pearls

If it were me, I'd use those extra credits for a night of eating lobster during Wishes at Narcoosees! Depending on when you're going in Sept you might see me there!

Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
shortnsassy730
Mouseketeer

You could always do what we do. Brown Derby is two credits all day. So one day on deluxe we do a signature for early lunch at Brown Derby and then a signature for dinner. We usually do Flying Fish late. Then on AK day we do 1 TS at Yak and Yeti and 1 TS credit at Ragland Road (must do for us everytrip)!

I agree with PP, BOG is not to be missed!
shortnsassy730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
Jennafoo
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! I don't think I was totally clear: As I said in my op, I have signature meals planned every night I'm there. I can't really eat two huge meals a day, which is why I was going to do a breakfast and then BOG. This does leave me a couple credits short and maybe that's okay. My question wasn't how to plan meals; I really just wanted to know if BOG was worth perhaps leaving a few credits on the table.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhryb View Post
I say go and then double up on your signatures another day

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: