Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
This doesn't answer my question...
at what age do you think your child (or any child) is ready to leave your presence on the DCL ship to, for example, go get some ice cream and return immediately???? Or go to the DCL movie theater, watch a movie and then return to you ?? Obviously not age 9-10. So what age are you prepared to let them do things like this for the first time ?
And I gather from your tone of your comments that you feel that regardless of the maturity of the child that they all should get their freedom at the exact same age that you personally establish as appropriate??

Look, obviously I don't look at this the same way as you do. I am just trying to figure out how far off we are from each other...15, 16, 17 ?
Surely you don't intend for college to be the first time your kids are away from you without supervision???

When I went on my first cruise, only my 16 year old was with me. At first I wasn't comfortable with her walking around the ship without me, but I became comfortable very quickly. She used the stairs, not the elevators, she was in the more public areas. On the second cruise, with both of my kids being 16, they were all over the place, all the time.

At home they need to let me know basically where they are, who they are with, and when they'll be home. That's just courtesy (and safety) to others living in the same house. My kids, now 16 annd 17, don't have a curfew, but if they stay out too late I let them know. My 16 year old needs to be 'reminded' more than the 17 year old.

If you (this is the universal YOU, not a specific YOU) decide to allow your kids to travel around the ship solo, make sure they know basic rules of courtesy - no pushing on to elevators, no jumping in line at the beverage station, no pushing all the buttons of the elevator. There were only 200 kids on my last cruise, most of them babies or toddlers, and yet the few that were there acted like they'd never been in public before, shouting in the halls, on the decks, in the restaurants. I would be embarassed if my kids acted that way.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: