Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #31
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Well, I won't argue, but that's kind of what I meant by the 70% I love it, but can't stay outside in it for very long periods. It has been 80* on christmas day (also has been colder). Sometimes it's only cold for basically Jan - Feb. It really varies from year to year. The best to you
We are planning on flying back to Seattle to visit family for 3-4 weeks in both mid-summer and over Christmas break every year if possible. Maybe that will help cut into the warm weather a bit.

Anything around 75-85 degrees is perfect for us. By the way, in Seattle we can't stay out for very long periods of time either.... mostly because of the cold and constant rain 70% of the year though.

And for those of you who DO live near Seattle, today is a PERFECT example of what I've grown tired of here with the weather. Dark, cloudy, grey, rainy, cold, all day, for weeks.

Been to DL, WDW, Aulani, D23 Expo, on DCL, and to Universal Orlando.

Florida residents since Sept. 2013. We live three minutes from the Magic Kingdom.
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #32
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
I think this is actually one of the biggest reasons we ARE moving... it's that we want the adventure, and if it wears off and we hate it there (or are just really homesick) we CAN move home. It's nice to know that life is not set in stone!

But right now we are excited (well, my son is worried, but the rest of us are ready to go).
Reading your posts made me smile.

I think you're being very reasonable in what you have in mind. Like you said, if you don't like it, you can move back since your job is flexible. In the meantime, you get to have a "very" extended vacation!

I hope you have wonderful time and truly enjoy every minute of your adventure!
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #33
ChristmasElf
Will be packing TP in her purse if Sheryl Crow gets her way!

You will love the area you will be renting in. Close to everything, and you should be able to see the fireworks every night.

The schools are great in this area are great.
If you have any questions on how to get anywhere or the name of a great pediatrician that is close by, feel free to ask away!
ChristmasElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #34
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

LOL I just had to laugh when I read about the heat and humidity 30% of the time but hey really it's all "relative"...no pun intended. Guess you'll find out more about that when you live here especially from right about this time of the year until September or so...but that's what A/C is for!

Just take the hurricane stuff seriously and you'll be set. I moved down here from the Northeast to South FL many years ago and hated it at first. I even had to move to Atlanta GA for a year to make myself realize how dumb I was for moving away to where you can't wear shorts in the winter, then I came to my senses and moved back LOL!! That was more than 20 yrs ago!

As many mentioned it's for some and not for others, I've seen so many people come and go...there's a lot more to it than just the weather. You'll understand after you live here for a while then you can decide if it's for you and your family or not. The nice thing is that you have the flexibility to try it out. Good luck to you!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #35
DIS Veteran

Some things you'll find out about driving in the Orlando area.

1. There is a magnetic force field in the area that makes all auto turn signals inoperative.
2. MERGE means GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY. They will just force you off the road if you don't let them in.
3. There must be one heck of a prize for getting to the red light the fastest, everyone is trying to get the prize.
4. Almost no one (including some police officers strangely enough) can tell you what the blue lights on the traffic signals mean.

Just a side not, road construction takes twice as long as other states. The Orlando area has to be the underground pipe capital of the US.

Last edited by 11290; 05-28-2013 at 02:35 AM.
11290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #36
Mickey'sMainMami
I love playing video games!!
I also love playing with my nephew's toys!

I am so envious, and hope it all works out for you and you love it! I spend a lot of my time wishing I lived there. If jobs were better for my DH and I there, I would move in a heartbeat. I keep praying that one day God will line everything up for us and we will be able to go, too. Good luck!!
Mickey'sMainMami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #37
TeresaNJ

Knows the tricks to get the Tag Fairies' attention! Likes all pretty colors Gets teary when she hears Garth sing "The Dance"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
Wish I could get the wife to move down but the grandkids are just 2 hours north of us here in Indiana. We had taken over our daughters apartment lease in Orlando in 09 when she had gotten a different job and I got a part time job at the Magic Kingdom. Was only going to be a couple of months but I decided to stay until the end of 09 and then went Seasonal Cast. Been coming down 3 or 4 times a year for 4 to 6 weeks at a time since January of 2010. Will be going down in a couple of weeks and staying 5 weeks. Been working out but still wish I could move down.

Stay in an extended stay hotel during my trips and really getting a little tired of it. Wife usually comes down sometime during each of my trips for a week or so but she gets bored of just taking me to work about noon, hanging out at one of the park pools for the afternoon and then coming back to pick me up about 12:30 in the morning (I work turnstiles and parade audience control so I'm usually there for both night parades).

When we used to stay at the apartment near Mall at Millenia, I used to go through Windermere to get the the CM parking lot north of MK (why they call it Westclock parking I'll never know as it's north of the park not west). NIce town but be sure to observe the speed limits. They used to be a bit cranky about that.

My family likes to eat barbecue at a place near Windermere called Yellow Dog Eats. Kind of a dumpy place but the food is really good. If you like barbecue (they have other stuff too) you need to check it out.

Good luck on your move and I hope you find more to do in Orlando than I do. Whenever someone asked me why I work so much when I'm there I always say, if you're not going to the attractions, not going to the beach, don't play golf and don't have a boat, jet ski or a girl friend, there just isn't a lot to do in Orlando. LOL
Oh my goodness, my DH & I love Yellow Dog! Every time we had visitors, and we had a lot by the way, we brought them to the Yellow Dog in Gotha!

Quote:

1. There is a magnetic force field in the area that makes all auto turn signals inoperative.
2. MERGE means GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY. They will just force you off the road if you don't let them in.
3. There must be one heck of a prize for getting to the red light the fastest, everyone is trying to get the prize.
4. Almost no one (including some police officers strangely enough) can tell you what the blue lights on the traffic signals mean.

Just a side not, road construction takes twice as long as other states. The Orlando area has to be the underground pipe capital of the US.

I must agree with everything you said! I thought NJ had bad drivers until I moved to Florida! Very few people use their turn signals, they drive like bats out of hell, and the traffic stinks!

As far as the heat & humidity in that area, I think it is just as hot and humid here in NJ in July, August & September as it is in Florida. There are just a few days that are hotter in Florida temperature wise. As for the rest of the year, you can't beat the weather!
TeresaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #38
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

We made the move a year ago with a 4 month old and almost 2 year old. It was the best decision we have made in our marriage. We are in east Orlando though, but love it all the same. For those worried about schools, there are a lot of great schools. You just need to do some research.
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #39
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

Well, welcome to FL, and I hope you are happy here! But let me just say that we would LOOOOOOOVE to live in Seattle, if we could afford it. Too bad we couldn't have done a house-swap or something. I guess the seaweed really IS always greener in somebody else's lake!
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #40
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

I envy you! Really, both my DH & I would love to move to Florida, but just don't think we will. With one in college here, one getting ready to turn 18, I'm just not seeing it being possible. We have also lived in the same place our entire lives & we totally hate it here. Other than our children, we don't have any strong ties to stay here & I often wonder why we do.

We always said if my DH lost his job that we would make the move. Well, he did lose his job of 20 years almost two years ago & we ended up in survival mode & stayed. He now has a good job, but I think we could get equal employment down there. Anyways, good luck & hope you love it there!

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #41
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Quote:

SOOO TRUE about the turn signal comment, that magnetic force field stretches all the way down to South FL as well and most of the police cars have this same issue which is sad... ...and the race to the red light, imagine the amount of gas they would ALL save if they just coast...

Driving in Orlando is similar to South FL and that may the toughest part to get used to (after 25 yrs I still can't get used to it)!! Forget about the hurricanes, heat/humidity stuff...it's the driving that really is the "MAJOR" adjustment!! (but a serious side note, watch out for the red light runners, it's become a disease here...they are the worst and I can vouch for that as my dh was very lucky a few years back when a red light runner totaled his truck, he was very lucky to have just sustained minor injuries from that awful incident..we believe the cab of the F-150 truck he was in saved his life!) I just advise to ALWAYS look both ways first when the light turns green before you proceed into an intersection.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #42
LindaG4458

DogMomma

We have vacationed in FL for years and bought a condo in Vero Beach 12 years ago. We arrived yesterday from NH and are waiting for the moving van to bring all of our stuff on Friday or Saturday. It was time to make the move and we don't think we will regret it.

Upstate NH is great if you are athletic and like outdoor activities in all seasons. We will miss some things, but the health care accessibility is much better here. Plus the resident passes to Disney are reasonably priced .
12/1989 CBR #2135 5/1990 CBR #4246 12/1991 PO (POFQ) #5301 6/1993 DL (PORS) #9422 and #2753
3/1994 PO (POFQ) #6323 11/1994 BC #3608 and WL #6023 7/1995 PO (POFQ) #4301 and #1341
12/1997 OKW #3324 12/1998 BWV #5074 10/1999 PO (POFQ) #7126 and OKW#5413 12/2000 PO (POFQ)#5323
5/2001 AKL #4431 and #4423 12/2001 POFQ changed to Doubletree Guest Suites #222 5/2007 BWV #3061
2/2008 CBR #1317 4/2009 PORS #2753 4/2011 BWV #3052 1/2014 Sheraton Downtown Orlando #918
2/2014 POFQ #7215 3/2014 BWV #2027 10/2014 BWV #5068
LindaG4458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #43
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
Well, welcome to FL, and I hope you are happy here! But let me just say that we would LOOOOOOOVE to live in Seattle, if we could afford it. Too bad we couldn't have done a house-swap or something. I guess the seaweed really IS always greener in somebody else's lake!
Don't get me wrong, I love it here, but I think for us we are looking for a change after 30+ years. Time to try something new.

If you don't mind me asking, why would you want to move to Seattle?

Been to DL, WDW, Aulani, D23 Expo, on DCL, and to Universal Orlando.

Florida residents since Sept. 2013. We live three minutes from the Magic Kingdom.
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #44
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

I moved from Seattle to Florda 8 years ago. I had lived here before, though, and my family is mostly here. My husband is a native Washingtonian and he adjusted quite well to Florida. The summer months can be brutal but the rest is beautiful.

November through April when you're sitting outside in shorts you will be happy. I would rather the bad weather be bad because of heat and humidity rather than grey and cold.

Yes, the northwest is beautiful, but the several months of non-stop cold-grey-drizzle is depressing. It was just on the news recently that a Bellingham school closed so the kids could enjoy a rare sunny day.

Everything people say about Florida drivers is true, though. The thing I miss the most about Seattle is polite driving.

Last edited by chobie; 05-28-2013 at 01:35 PM.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #45
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Great things about being a FL resident:
- Annual Passes makes sense
- Discounts Discounts Discounts!!
- You can drive to Port Canaval in a jiffy to take the Disney cruise
- and because of this can become a Platinum Castaway member in no time!
- Become a gator expert
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: