Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #46
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemys View Post
That first date sentence is good! Exactly what I was trying to get across.

I can only check one type.

Hang out
Long term
Dating
Friends
Intimate encounter
Just put dating. It is all inclusive. And the first step in a long term relationship. Long term will really turn some people - especially men - off. If it something you feel strongly about you can let your activity partner know that this is your long term goal when you start your dates after you have been talking a while.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #47
ceemys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaucoup View Post
I agree about the pics, but you already took them out. The profile talks a lot of Mom stuff & activities one does when old & been married for a long time. I know that is a big part of you, but guys are looking for a date, someone fun. Not sure mom, sewing & church screams fun to a guy. Gotta think like a guy.

Can you cook?. Guys love to eat. What's your best recipe?
Do you come with your own power tools?

No guys at church? Any big churches with activities in your area?
I can bake, cooking is not my best asset. Lol. My kids know dinner is ready when the microwave bell rings. .
I have some power tools.

Church...No singles club or night and everyone I know is married. My friends know I am on a dating site and looking.

ceemys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #48
ceemys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookie View Post
Just put dating. It is all inclusive. And the first step in a long term relationship. Long term will really turn some people - especially men - off. If it something you feel strongly about you can let your activity partner know that this is your long term goal when you start your dates after you have been talking a while.
Got it! Will change it.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #49
ceemys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Totally OK, you don't have to apologize. But you can screen your applicants and see how people are as you date them. That's part of dating when you get older. Your in control. You won't let them do that! And you will set your boundaries out early. But you don't need to put it on your profile... you will set them out in person.

You will talk to these people on multiple occasions before you actually decide to meet them. You won't even want to pull that out then. This is something to bring out after several dates. You can always cut off any date that isn't meeting your criteria at any point. Your always in control. So no need to put it on there - because if someone disrespects you or your family, or doesn't treat you right at any point in the dating process - your booting them.
Thank you.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #50
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here would be my edited profile. Maybe it will give you a start. Hope it helps.

HI! I'm A 46-year-old from Fishers, IN. I'm looking for that someone special. I decided to choose "artsy" as my personality, but I don't like to paint myself into a corner on my profile personality.

I have a great job that I love Question: in what??. I enjoy movies, bowling, putt putt golf, and sewing, as well as lots of other activities. I go to the Colt's games often and tailgating is a total blast! I also enjoy going Pacers games every now and then. My current goal is to continue to advance my current work certifications. I'm not a super adventurer on my own, but I am willing to try new things. I love DIY projects. My father is a carpenter and has passed that gene to me. I am a devoted mom to my two wonderful kids who are 5 and 14, so they keep me busy and constantly trying new things. Question: would this be true? mine do!.

I would re-work the first date sentence.

I like this rewrite. Your profile should be like a resume. Its not designed to get him to the alter all it is meant to do is get him to ask you on a date.

Don't know how to say this with sounding rude. Not trying to be rude but when looking for a relationship its like buying a car. You know what car you want and there is a bunch out there. Start tossing in extras and it gets harder.

In your case its reverse. You are looking for a guy who wants a relationship, who likes kids, likes church.

Not a thing wrong with any of these things. It may just take some time or multiple sites to find the right guy.

Keep your head up, you will find the right guy.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #51
sookie
DIS Veteran

you should show us the new profile when you get it worked out!!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #52
ceemys
DIS Veteran

I am off to bed since I have to get up in 5 hours. . Here is my most recent update. I didn't want to put much on what I am looking for, but I don't want to be too vague either. It's a fine line. Whatcha think? . I will check back tomorrow after work.

HI! I'm A 46-year-old from Fishers, IN. I'm looking for that someone special. I decided to choose "artsy" as my personality, but I don't like to paint myself into a corner on my profile personality.

I am a great friend, shy at first but open up when comfortable. (Too much?) I have a great job that I love in software testing. I enjoy movies, bowling, putt putting, sewing, just to name a few things. I love DIY projects. I go to the Colt's games often and tailgating is a blast! We also head to a Pacers game every now and then. My goals are to be a great parent and to continue to advance my certifications in my career. I'm not a super adventurer on my own but I am willing to try new things with the right person. I am a devoted Mom to my two wonderful kids who are 5 and 14 who are great at keeping me on my toes!

I am looking for that someone special who I can share special moments with, someone to hold hands, someone who is looking for the same.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #53
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

I'd add a photo of yourself in your glasses or does the full body shot show them? I can't remember. I think you should have them on in one pic if you wear them all the time.

I think the suggestions you have received are very good.

Good luck! I'm 48 and the dating word seems kinda scary to me!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #54
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am off to bed since I have to get up in 5 hours. . Here is my most recent update. I didn't want to put much on what I am looking for, but I don't want to be too vague either. It's a fine line. Whatcha think? . I will check back tomorrow after work.

I am a great friend, shy at first but open up when comfortable. (Too much?) I have a great job that I love in software testing. I enjoy movies, bowling, putt putting, sewing, just to name a few things. I love DIY projects. I go to the Colt's games often and tailgating is a blast! We also head to a Pacers game every now and then. My goals are to be a great parent and to continue to advance my certifications in my career. I'm not a super adventurer on my own but I am willing to try new things with the right person. I am a devoted Mom to my two wonderful kids who are 5 and 14 who are great at keeping me on my toes!

I am looking for that someone special who I can share special moments with, someone to hold hands, someone who is looking for the same.
I think that this is better. I just had to take a while to figure out what "putt putting" was so I would clarify that. I would take out "we also head to a pacers game" - because I would wonder "who is we?" I would focus on things that you like to do. So you can say that you enjoy heading to pacers games every now and then (with friends?).

Everyone who is a parent wants to be a great parent; saying that is a goal of yours means that maybe you aren't really one right now but want to be. I'm serious - some people don't even have custody but that is a goal of theirs. Since I am sure that isn't true, I bet you can leave that out!! I think that leaving the devoted mom stuff in is great, along with the last sentence.

This might sound picky but it is all about selling yourself!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #55
DenMig
Mouseketeer

Good luck. I think you are cute, especially with the straight hair. Don't stress too much about the profile, but I agree with a lot of posters, keep it more vague, leave a little mystery. I'm in your age bracket and if I was single I wouldn't want to see anything too "heavy" at this point. Not to say it won't lead to a long term relationship, but I'd probably skip over someone if I didn't think it could be "fun" at first, if that makes any sense.
DenMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #56
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

Quote:

I think that sounds great!

I used online dating sites for several years before finding my fiance. Don't get too discouraged if no one is contacting you right away, you have to go through some frogs before you find your prince! I used lots of different sites, paid and free, but my fiance and I met through okcupid.com.

Good luck!
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #57
Nolcrest
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
Not a male either but that's the first thing that popped out at me too. Princess = high-maintenance and spoiled in guy-speak.
Exactly how I felt too. I wouldn't have even read further once seeing that.
I also wouldn't include my kids pictures.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #58
ICF
DIS Veteran

I am a guy....

Agree that is was good to use the Princess part (but hey, at least you're not a Princess from Carmel!!!) -- sorry, central Indiana joke for those that don't get that.

I don't see any issue with the church going part. It's something that I would like to know about a person. It may scare off some, but if it is important to you...I'd leave it in.

The pics of the kids probably should go....not for privacy issues, but just because I don't think it is the best choice for a dating site pic.
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #59
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

Quote:
I removed the first two photos. I put dates on the other two showing they are recent. I changed princess to Artsy. I did have free thinker, but not sure what that can relay. I will find another one of me out and about in color or with my colts jersey. Even though i am on this site looking for someone , Should I mention that as part of my goal?

How about this?

I am a devoted Mom to my two wonderful kids who are 5 and 14. I have a great job that I love. I enjoy movies, bowling, putt putting, sewing, just to name a few things. I go to the Colt's games often and tailgating is a total blast! We also head to a Pacers game every now and then. My goals are to be a great parent and to continue to advance my certifications in my career. I'm not a super adventurer on my own but I am willing to try new things. I love DIY projects. My father is a carpenter and has passed that gene to me.

I am looking for that someone special who can respect me and treat my family right. I chose Artsy as my personality but I don't like to paint myself into a corner on only one type of personality.
No, because to me it sounds like you are looking for a dad to your kids. I get that your kids are important to you but I don't think you should have that in your profile. You should briefly mention your kids if you want. But I think you will have to screen dates for their feelings on kids as time passes. I wouldn't bring dates around the kids until you know you are serious any way. It really sounds like you are trying to audition a dad. If faith is important and you won't date somebody who is not a Christian than that needs to be included. If it doesn't matter to you but you will continue to go to church than just a brief mention of your faith in the religion section.

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #60
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
I have a great job that I love Question: in what??.
Software quality assurance testing. It was listed in her vital stats.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: