Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #121
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

With baby #1 we stayed home for maybe a week, baby #2 was at Chuck E Cheese the weekend we brought her home, and with #3 we stopped for a short visit at a family Christmas party on the way home. I needed to be out and social!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:09 AM   #122
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

My dear sweet grandma (RIP) told me ...

Mija, full moon...don't take the baby out.

She never called, except when there was a full moon.

Shut the blinds, cocoon her, wrap her all up like a burrito. STAY AWAY FROM THE LIGHT.

And I did. I was not messing with Nana's wisdom. LOL

I have no idea why, but my mom told me to keep her home for 8 weeks. I never even asked why. I just did it. Something about getting sick and a full moon, etc. I may add that I didn't look too ....ummm.....presentable, so I was more than willing to stay home

I'm not messing with old wives tales.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 05-27-2013 at 06:26 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #123
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh4evr View Post
baby #2 was at Chuck E Cheese the weekend we brought her home, !
Now that's just cruel!! I hate that place!!

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #124
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc

Now that's just cruel!! I hate that place!!
OMG! I had to get out! I had pretty bad PPD with her and needed some social contact badly - its hard to cry in public!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #125
Robbi
DIS Veteran

My children were out and about with me very quickly and all 3 were healthy babies. I had c sections and within 2 weeks, we were at the grocery store and shopping at the mall.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #126
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

I guess being a man I missed the memo and endangered all 3 of my kids.

DD who turns 15 tomorrow went to see grandma before she was a month old. It was a 6 hour car ride and 500 or so miles.

My twins who turn 9 in 3 days who were born a month early were only a week or two when we went to see grandpa which was 3 hour drive away.

Funny how now they say kids are now getting sicker today as they are not exposed to germs/dirt/nastiness.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #127
kellyjeanie
DIS Veteran

"I did it and my kids are fine!" is not a good argument for anything. I survived many a trip bouncing around in the back of my parents' station wagon, but my kids are in car seats.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #128
dogluva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjeanie View Post
"I did it and my kids are fine!" is not a good argument for anything. I survived many a trip bouncing around in the back of my parents' station wagon, but my kids are in car seats.
But all six of my kids were fine and I was not told not to take them out so its all good.
dogluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #129
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpig70 View Post
I guess being a man I missed the memo and endangered all 3 of my kids.

DD who turns 15 tomorrow went to see grandma before she was a month old. It was a 6 hour car ride and 500 or so miles.

My twins who turn 9 in 3 days who were born a month early were only a week or two when we went to see grandpa which was 3 hour drive away.

Funny how now they say kids are now getting sicker today as they are not exposed to germs/dirt/nastiness.
I was thinking the same thing about kids getting sicker today. There's more asthma, allergies, and autoimmune diseases being seen in kids than in generations before and a lot of it seems to go back to the hygiene hypothesis that we are too clean and too protected from germs. Now that hypothesis is not necessarily true for everyone but there is evidence that shows some weight to that argument.

I think, just like with everything parenting related, you have to do what is best for your kids. There is nothing wrong with keeping your kid home for 8 weeks and there is nothing wrong with taking them out before they are a week old. There is nothing wrong with daycare at 6 weeks and there is nothing wrong with being a stay at home parent. Nothing wrong with breast feeding, and nothing wrong with formula. As long as the child is taken care of (getting shelter, food, medical care when necessary, etc) that's all that matters.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #130
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh4evr View Post
OMG! I had to get out! I had pretty bad PPD with her and needed some social contact badly - its hard to cry in public!
Man, you must have had it BAD... it's pretty much my LEAST favorite place on the planet!!! I would rather spend an hour having root canal than at Chuckie Cheese's!

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #131
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

After I had DD, 16 years ago, doctor told me if she is healthy enough to leave the hospital then of course I can take her out.

I had friends who did the 8 week thing, that's why I asked.
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #132
aristocatz
DIS Veteran

Our pediatrician advised us to keep our baby home for the first few weeks. She also strongly advised that all visitors who were planning to have close contact with her should get the T-DAP vaccine in advance. The T-DAP vaccine was kind of big in my area, because a very young baby in a nearby town had died from whooping cough just a few months before I had my baby.

She had said it was fine to take her out on walks & short shopping trips, but to keep her out of crowded areas for the first few weeks. She said this was because she was very susceptible to germs, being so young.

I didn't question any of this because this was our first baby. I also didn't really mind because it took me a week or two to completely heal from labor and being a new mom, I had alot of things to learn at home with my baby. I did take her to short trips to the market & to the doctors a few times, a visit to my work, and strolls in our neighborhood, but that's about it for the first few weeks.

aristocatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #133
diamondpixienc
DIS Veteran

I was told 6 weeks and that is what I did and just about all of my family members I can recall throughout the years it was around 6wks before they were out and about w/the new baby. Now, other than the 2wk weight check (they were breast fed) to the Dr. Office and home. It was about 6wks for all 3 of mine pretty much when I was cleared to drive again with #2 & 3.

diamondpixienc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #134
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
Gosh, if that were the case, my husband would never be allowed near his own children.
Babies really should not be around smoke or be held up against smokey clothing, parent or not. It is not healthy.
Social Worker Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: