Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard?

I'd love some ideas or thoughts from those who have been to Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard or both. DH and I visited Cape Cod before we had kids and loved it, but it's obviously been a long time!

We're a family of 4 (me, DH, DS14 and DD11) plus a small dog that we're planning to bring with us, so I'm looking at vacation home rentals. I've found quite a few for the week we're looking at, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two areas. Things we like to do are go to the beach, swim, visit historical sites, hike, fish, find off-the-beaten-path restaurants (especially with outdoor seating), and the kids would enjoy finding at least one arcade, lol.

Any and all suggestions are welcome! TIA!
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
kirbydog48
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceila View Post
I'd love some ideas or thoughts from those who have been to Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard or both. DH and I visited Cape Cod before we had kids and loved it, but it's obviously been a long time!

We're a family of 4 (me, DH, DS14 and DD11) plus a small dog that we're planning to bring with us, so I'm looking at vacation home rentals. I've found quite a few for the week we're looking at, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two areas. Things we like to do are go to the beach, swim, visit historical sites, hike, fish, find off-the-beaten-path restaurants (especially with outdoor seating), and the kids would enjoy finding at least one arcade, lol.

If you want to go to the Vineyard for the week, I would recommend seeing if you can get ferry reservations before you do anything else. What town on the Cape were you looking at?
kirbydog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceila View Post

Yes what part of the cape? All the different areas have different vibes.
We like eastham area, and also south yarmouth, dennis
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbydog48 View Post
If you want to go to the Vineyard for the week, I would recommend seeing if you can get ferry reservations before you do anything else. What town on the Cape were you looking at?
Thanks, I didn't realize how fast the ferry reservations go. At the moment there are times available that would work, but I understand that they could fill up quickly.

As for Cape Cod, the places I've found are Hyannis, Yarmouth, Centerville, Barnstable, Dennis Port, and Eastham.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

for a week at a rental house, I would do the Vineyard. You need to hurry though, I think rentals book up fast. MV is beautiful with a lot to do. Nice beaches, restaurants, local history (chappaquiddick, Edgartown, where Jaws was filmed.) Lots of fun stuff and a great way to spend a week in the summer!
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
kirbydog48
DIS Veteran

I grew up in Hyannis. Sadly, it has gotten very crowded and overdeveloped. I would not recommend staying there, but the harbor cruises out of Hyannis are kind of fun (if you want to see the Kennedy compound). There are also ferries in Hyannis to the Vineyard and Nantucket if you wanted to go over for a few hours. I think Centerville and Barnstable (which is the town that includes Hyannis and Centerville, so I'm assuming you mean Barnstable village over on Rt. 6 A) are both very quiet and lovely but more residential. My favorite part of the Cape is Eastham and Welfleet. It's how the Cape used to be. Lots of nice places to eat, the National seashore visitors center, bike paths, and the Audobon Center in Welfleet. The beaches are gorgeous. If I can answer any questions, please fire away. Provincetown is always fun and there are whale watches that leave from there. There's an artsy vibe and there's a huge gay population in the summer, and also real traditional fishing boats and a working wharf. You can also climb the pilgrim monument.
kirbydog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
aristocatz
DIS Veteran

My mom grew up on the Cape & I spend all of my summers, many winter weekends, holidays, family visits & gatherings there throughout my entire childhood.

My two uncles owned a business on Martha's Vineyard, so I spent quite a bit of time there as well.

In my opinion, Cape Cod is not all it's cracked up to be in the summer-it's extremely crowded, tourists can be obnoxious, & it's just not very pleasant, unless you are planning to find a house in a remote location & a private beach. When I was a kid, I actually preferred Cape Cod in the winter & fall. Mid spring was nice too. Summer was just......chaotic.

I LOVE Martha's Vineyard. It can get crowded, but it's so beautiful & just a really fun place to visit. The only downfall is it can be outrageously expensive to find lodging there. You need to book the ferry & your lodging a long time in advance as well. When we go to MV, we actually like to rent a cabin at the campground. Still need to book well in advance, but it's alot cheaper.

I would choose Martha's Vineyard

aristocatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Thank you for all of the info! You've all given me great ideas to check out!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
PatsGirl
Kids will write the darndest things
I'm a fan of the Red Sox and anyone who beats the Yankees
I can't believe my parents lived through my shenanigans

If $$ isn't a deciding factor, I'd go with the Vineyard. That being said, if you choose Cape Cod my advice is to go somewhere between the Orleans and Provincetown areas, stay away from the mid to upper Cape towns. My personal preference would probably be Eastham or Wellfleet
Last night my sister and I were sitting in the den and I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle to keep me alive. That would be no quality of life at all. If that ever happens, just pull the plug!" So she got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.

Brenda , Ed :Jacob 23 Alexandra 16 and two steps ~ Shawn 24 Nichole 23

SO turned husband March 2013

Next up ~ Halloween Horror Nights 2013 at Universal

F&W/FD for September 2012 with DD and SO who's a Disney virgin...this could be a dealbreaker

Celebrated my 50th with DD at Disneyland April 2011
PatsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Another vote for the Eastham/Wellfleet area.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: