Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #31
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post

Do you also use a nasal spray? I've been told that nasal sprays are really good for grass allergies.
I hope you don't mind me answering this one. For me, the flonase is a wonderous thing! It helps a great deal with grass allergies and the like. However, I have to take a short break from it every so often. It does give me nose bleeds and then I have to stop using it for a bit.

I thought I read somewhere that they were worried about it doing some harm to the membranes in your nose, but that was a while ago and I haven't heard it again.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #32
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I hope you don't mind me answering this one. For me, the flonase is a wonderous thing! It helps a great deal with grass allergies and the like. However, I have to take a short break from it every so often. It does give me nose bleeds and then I have to stop using it for a bit.

I thought I read somewhere that they were worried about it doing some harm to the membranes in your nose, but that was a while ago and I haven't heard it again.
Flonase is a wonderful medication! I've heard the same thing as you about the harm that nasal sprays can do but I havent heard about it as much recently. But I do know that using a steroid nasal spray can make rebound symptoms worse meaning that the congestion could be worse when first coming off of the nasal spray.

I used Flonase for a while adn it worked wonders at the time. BUt now I use zetonna and add patanase when its really bad.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #33
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

Wow...sure seems a lot of us suffering this year.

I took Flonase for about 6 months last year. It worked great, then I started getting recurrent nosebleeds. So I had to stop that. It did help, I had no other issues.

I am hoping that I can start on allergy shots. I have an appt. finally with an allergist. I have been seeing a Pulminologist, as well as my family dr. He does a great job with things, but the time had come to see an Allergist. It took 2 months to get an appt between the insurance referral and the dr's patient load. I see him soon, thank goodness.

I hope everyone feels better soon. At least today I can breathe. I finish the antibiotics for the sinus infection tomorrow. I do feel a bunch better. At least my face doesn't hurt anymore...

It has been a year in April that I have had nothing but respitory issues. When I was in the hospital in Dec they did a CT Scan and several other tests to rule out things like blood clots and other lung diseases. Nothing. I had a biopsy done on the little viliea(sp) in my lungs to make sure they are working properly etc All those test came back normal. I am also taking Zantac for reflux, that helps some but I never really knew I had reflux? Sometimes I feel like everytime I get sick I end up taking something else just to see what happens. I don't actually think I have been well for so long, I might not remember!

Kelly
Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #34
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyg403 View Post
Wow...sure seems a lot of us suffering this year.

I took Flonase for about 6 months last year. It worked great, then I started getting recurrent nosebleeds. So I had to stop that. It did help, I had no other issues.

I am hoping that I can start on allergy shots. I have an appt. finally with an allergist. I have been seeing a Pulminologist, as well as my family dr. He does a great job with things, but the time had come to see an Allergist. It took 2 months to get an appt between the insurance referral and the dr's patient load. I see him soon, thank goodness.

I hope everyone feels better soon. At least today I can breathe. I finish the antibiotics for the sinus infection tomorrow. I do feel a bunch better. At least my face doesn't hurt anymore...

It has been a year in April that I have had nothing but respitory issues. When I was in the hospital in Dec they did a CT Scan and several other tests to rule out things like blood clots and other lung diseases. Nothing. I had a biopsy done on the little viliea(sp) in my lungs to make sure they are working properly etc All those test came back normal. I am also taking Zantac for reflux, that helps some but I never really knew I had reflux? Sometimes I feel like everytime I get sick I end up taking something else just to see what happens. I don't actually think I have been well for so long, I might not remember!

Kelly
One of the symptoms of reflux can be respiratory symptoms. I know with me when my reflux gets bad, it exacerbates my asthma. In addition, allergic reactions cause a refulx exacerbation for me. It might be worthwhile to talk to your doctor about maybe trying prilosec instead of zantac for reflux symptoms. it might not do anything but IMO, i dont think it would hurt to try.

I'm assuming you have had pulmonary function tests done? If not, I would definitely ask the pulmonologist about getting those done. and not just spirometry...but full pulmonary function tests.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
Old 05-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #35
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07

Wow! Never heard of that being a side effect! The headache I got from it doesn't sound half bad now.

Do you also use a nasal spray? I've been told that nasal sprays are really good for grass allergies.
No, I can't tolerate the sweet smell...gag me!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #36
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/...histamine.html

This is what i use
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #37
tinatark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Same here. It's the same everywhere. It's really not that difficult. You show your ID, they give you a box, you sign and pay.
It's a pain here.

Wait in the line at the Pharmacy, go over your symptoms (can't buy it for your kids/anyone else) with the pharmacist, show ID and you can buy in limited quantity.

The Wal Mart here is out of Sudafed, etc with Sudaphrene (sp) even the store brand. They have apparently been out for awhile and don't know when they'll get more.
tinatark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:37 AM   #38
kellyg403
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

Quote:
One of the symptoms of reflux can be respiratory symptoms. I know with me when my reflux gets bad, it exacerbates my asthma. In addition, allergic reactions cause a refulx exacerbation for me. It might be worthwhile to talk to your doctor about maybe trying prilosec instead of zantac for reflux symptoms. it might not do anything but IMO, i dont think it would hurt to try.

I'm assuming you have had pulmonary function tests done? If not, I would definitely ask the pulmonologist about getting those done. and not just spirometry...but full pulmonary function tests.
Yes, I have had the full work up on the function tests.

I will speak to the dr regarding Prilosec instead. I actually have been taking the Zantac only because after a course of Prednisone I have horrible heartburn. One of the side effects of the steroid. Again, every med has something that comes along with it that causes issues.

Thanks for all the advice Disfan. I don't have anywhere near the issues that you have. I feel bad for complaining when I see the amount of meds and issues that you have. I hope that you are able to get right soon as well. It is scary when you can't breathe!

Kelly
Old 05-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #39
kellyg403

Quote:
Originally Posted by npmommie View Post
I think I am going to look into this. One of the hardest parts of this process is the fact that I have never been someone who has taken a lot of meds. About the most I have ever taken is advil/tylenol and a vitamin. Lately I have added B-12 just for energy.

I would love something more natural. Thank you!

Kelly
Old 05-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #40
kellyg403

Quote:

Maxismom...how long do you take a break from the Flonase? I did not mind using the Flonase but my doc stopped it once the nosebleeds became daily. I did try to go back on after a 2 week timeframe and the nosebleeds didn't start back up for about a week and then they were back. So I am wondering if I could try again since it has been about 6 months since I used it.

Thanks!
Kelly
Old 05-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #41
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Maxismom...how long do you take a break from the Flonase? I did not mind using the Flonase but my doc stopped it once the nosebleeds became daily. I did try to go back on after a 2 week timeframe and the nosebleeds didn't start back up for about a week and then they were back. So I am wondering if I could try again since it has been about 6 months since I used it.

Thanks!
Kelly
How often do you use it? My Dr told me I could use it twice a day, but I stick to once daily.

After I have a nosebleed if I am off of it for a week I can start back up with no immediate problems.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #42
kellyg403

Quote:
How often do you use it? My Dr told me I could use it twice a day, but I stick to once daily.

After I have a nosebleed if I am off of it for a week I can start back up with no immediate problems.
Yes, twice a day. Maybe I can try the one x a day.

I will ask my dr about it!

Thanks!

kelly
Old 05-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #43
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I have had the full work up on the function tests.

I will speak to the dr regarding Prilosec instead. I actually have been taking the Zantac only because after a course of Prednisone I have horrible heartburn. One of the side effects of the steroid. Again, every med has something that comes along with it that causes issues.

Thanks for all the advice Disfan. I don't have anywhere near the issues that you have. I feel bad for complaining when I see the amount of meds and issues that you have. I hope that you are able to get right soon as well. It is scary when you can't breathe!

Kelly
Please...don't feel bad! I'm glad I could help! Allergies and lung problems stink no matter how mild or severe they are. I'm just glad I could provide some hopefully helpful information.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: