Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #31
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck View Post
It's a college level course...
I did plenty of college level courses in college, and oddly enough not one of them required homework in between semesters.

If our kids are expected to do an entire semester's worth of work during the Summer, they should take a final on it and start something new when school is back in session.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #32
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
I did plenty of college level courses in college, and oddly enough not one of them required homework in between semesters.

If our kids are expected to do an entire semester's worth of work during the Summer, they should take a final on it and start something new when school is back in session.
The OP's daughter has to read a single book. A single book. And 13 packets of History, with each packet 5 pages. Sounds like a lot, but that is only one worksheet a day.

This shouldn't take the OP more than an hour a day. And less after the book is finished. A journal entry - 15 minutes tops. Hardly an entire semester of work.

And hardly a tough work load that is going to ruin an entire summer.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #33
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc011 View Post
If schools weren't so concerned with testing, then there wouldn't be a need to play "catch-up." Personally, that's a pretty light load. I was in high school ten years ago, and I had to read 5 books every summer.

Your daughter hopefully isn't being forced into doing that other stuff. Education is so important throughout life. (I agree with the AP stuff- it's good to take those classes, but there's no need to take those exams.) Complaining that there's too much work just instills in your daughter that if it's too hard, it's not worth doing. Hey, she's learning how to multitask- something she needs to learn in college! (Unless she's getting her Bachelor's in Partying...)

To the other posters that are complaining that school breaks are meant for doing nothing, I feel bad for your kids. They need to enjoy life, but they also need to be shown that there is more to life than video games and binge drinking on the weekends (I'm sure your kids don't do that stuff, but I know plenty of high schoolers who prefer to drink and smoke instead of doing something productive). That being said, if you don't like the school, just homeschool your kids. I'm sure you know more than the educators who are paid to teach it.
This is extremely insulting. Why do people insist on criticizing teachers constantly? And you have a very poor opinion of teenagers, it seems. Why so angry?

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #34
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
I went to high school in the 70's, and even in those 'good old days' the honors courses had summer requirements.
Not where I went to school.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #35
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

This is another reason we are doing dual enrollment instead of AP classes. My kids have lots of other things they want to do in the summer (not binge drinking and video games) like 4h camp, scout camp, band camp, Duke TIP etc.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #36
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
The OP's daughter has to read a single book. A single book. And 13 packets of History, with each packet 5 pages. Sounds like a lot, but that is only one worksheet a day.

This shouldn't take the OP more than an hour a day. And less after the book is finished. A journal entry - 15 minutes tops. Hardly an entire semester of work.

And hardly a tough work load that is going to ruin an entire summer.
Hour a day for 10 weeks? Sounds like a semester to me

And no, if she had NO other plans, it wouldn't be too tough. Not really the point though, especially since it was sprung on her AFTER school let out.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #37
disfan07
DIS Veteran

I had to read 2 books over the summer for 7th grade honors English. Had to do the same thing again for 9th grade honors. I had to read 3 Greek mythology books for REGULAR 12th grade English.

I had Math sheets for AP statsitics as well.

I don't see what the OP posted as being a lot for AP classes. And yes, I did take a few AP classes (Stats, Economics and Psychology) but mostly regular classes and I always had summer work to do. But we still had time to go on vacation, I had time to work at camp and I had time to just hang out until band camp started in august.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #38
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

I think maybe the OP was just surprised by it, that's all. Not that she was complaining or saying they shouldn't assign it.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #39
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Hour a day for 10 weeks? Sounds like a semester to me

And no, if she had NO other plans, it wouldn't be too tough. Not really the point though, especially since it was sprung on her AFTER school let out.
Last time I knew, college courses only meet an hour a day, but require hours and hours of out of class work. College moves from in class teaching to more independent work.

And I hardly think the work was "sprung" on her as the OP said she checked to see if the summer assignments were posted yet. If she didn't know there were going to be summer assignments, why would she check to see if they had been posted yet? Obviously she had some idea that there would be summer assignments.

And since everybody here has said that summer work is the expectation of AP courses, it would only be somebody not paying attention to not know what the requirements of the course would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
At least it seems so to my DD (rising HS sophomore).

She went to the school website today (last day of school was Friday) to see if the summer assignments were posted. She got her assignment for English (read a book, keep a journal for 20 consecutive days, test on the book when school starts again), AND for AP World History... complete 13(!) worksheets... 1-12 are due the first day of school, #13 on the 3rd day. Each worksheet is 5 pages long. No certain book to get the information from, use the internet, library, whatever. Oh, and there will be a test on #1-12 in the first week.

There are less than 12 weeks until school starts back up. DD has a weeklong church camp and is going to the Junior Classical League convention in Las Vegas for 4-5 days.

I get having a reading project due, but this seems extreme to me. She said nothing was mentioned before school let out.

No, I'm not looking for suggestions on what to do. All I want to know is if this seems reasonable for HS.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #40
Elmo9607
DIS Veteran

I guess I'm weird...I took an actual class during the summer when I was in high school one year. It was public speaking...I think we met 3 or 4 days a week for four hours a day for a month or so.

I loved it! It was SO great having something to do in the summer other than laying around bored.

Once I started college, I took summer classes almost every year. Loved it. You got an entire semesters worth of stuff done in a few weeks...what's not to like?

I can totally see how having something sprung on you last minute would be upsetting...but I'm having a hard time believing she didn't have even an inkling of an idea that an AP course would have summer work. Surely someone must have mentioned it at some point?

College Program at Cosmic Ray's January 2011-May 2011
Elmo9607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #41
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa1970 View Post
I think maybe the OP was just surprised by it, that's all. Not that she was complaining or saying they shouldn't assign it.
Saying the school crossed the line in assigning the amount of homework sure sounds like complaining and saying they shouldn't have assigned that much.

Really, just have her drop the AP history class. If it is anything like our AP history classes, this assignment is nothing compared to the amount of work that will follow during the semester. Our AP History classes have the most homework and the most assignments of any class. Many, many kids opt to not take it unless it is beneficial to their future college major.

Many of my kid's friends are preparing for science and engineering majors. While they take all the math, science and lit AP classes, they avoid AP History like the plague just because it has an enormous work load.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #42
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Saying the school crossed the line in assigning the amount of homework sure sounds like complaining and saying they shouldn't have assigned that much.
I had to go back and look...I missed where she said that. Okay, I agree then, she is complaining, but its okay. Her daughter will do it anyhow and next summer they won't be surprised.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #43
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

I don't know if its reasonable but it's normal. Our Honors level classes have summer work too.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #44
debster812
DIS Earth Angel!
Anyone have a spare phone?
Suffered from DIS withdrawals
I feel so technical, 'stick', 'unstick'
Ya Ya Sister!

I really don't think it's anything new. I spent the summer between my Junior & Senior year of HS (1983) as a foreign exchange student. I had summer assignments for AP English & AP European History that I took with me, and had to complete lots of reading, and do some worksheets & summaries as well.

DS is taking 3 APs next year, and I expect he'll be busy, but he's an early riser, and most of his friends sleep VERY late, so he's got a few hours in the morning before things start happening that he can get his work done. At least on the days he has no Captain's Practice for soccer.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #45
dogluva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc011 View Post
If schools weren't so concerned with testing, then there wouldn't be a need to play "catch-up." Personally, that's a pretty light load. I was in high school ten years ago, and I had to read 5 books every summer.

Your daughter hopefully isn't being forced into doing that other stuff. Education is so important throughout life. (I agree with the AP stuff- it's good to take those classes, but there's no need to take those exams.) Complaining that there's too much work just instills in your daughter that if it's too hard, it's not worth doing. Hey, she's learning how to multitask- something she needs to learn in college! (Unless she's getting her Bachelor's in Partying...)

To the other posters that are complaining that school breaks are meant for doing nothing, I feel bad for your kids. They need to enjoy life, but they also need to be shown that there is more to life than video games and binge drinking on the weekends (I'm sure your kids don't do that stuff, but I know plenty of high schoolers who prefer to drink and smoke instead of doing something productive). That being said, if you don't like the school, just homeschool your kids. I'm sure you know more than the educators who are paid to teach it.
Wow, this post is both insulting to both students not in AP courses and teachers! Students who take regular courses just party and the teachers don't know the course material! Nice generalizations!
dogluva is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: