Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
karly05
DIS Veteran

Teach me "Booking With Disney 101"

OK, I've never actually booked directly with Disney. The first two (family) trips were packages through AAA, and on my two solo trips, I've used TAs to book my room. That's been fine, but I'm really ready to just do it myself next time. I'm waiting for next year's rates/seasons to come out before I plan anything firm, but am trying to get myself psyched up for this now.

I get my tickets from Undercover Tourist, always do my own ADRs online, absolutely do not want a dining plan, free or otherwise. All I need to do is get a room-only res from Disney - so why is this so intimidating for me?

I want to try for a room-only AAA discount to start with, and I understand I have to call for that (can't do it online - bummer, because I would have no anxiety about this if I didn't have to get on the phone with someone). Is there a better day of the week or time of day to call WDW to get a really good, smart, helpful CM? I guess I'm afraid of getting someone who will either try to badger me into a package, or won't be the sharpest knife in the place where they keep the knives at (to quote Toy Story 3). I know, if I'm not happy, excuse myself and call back, but I'm hoping to get through this as painlessly as possible on the first try.

So, after all that blathering, I'd love any pointers from folks who are used to booking directly with Disney.
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karly05 View Post
OK, I've never actually booked directly with Disney. The first two (family) trips were packages through AAA, and on my two solo trips, I've used TAs to book my room. That's been fine, but I'm really ready to just do it myself next time. I'm waiting for next year's rates/seasons to come out before I plan anything firm, but am trying to get myself psyched up for this now.

I get my tickets from Undercover Tourist, always do my own ADRs online, absolutely do not want a dining plan, free or otherwise. All I need to do is get a room-only res from Disney - so why is this so intimidating for me?

I want to try for a room-only AAA discount to start with, and I understand I have to call for that (can't do it online - bummer, because I would have no anxiety about this if I didn't have to get on the phone with someone). Is there a better day of the week or time of day to call WDW to get a really good, smart, helpful CM? I guess I'm afraid of getting someone who will either try to badger me into a package, or won't be the sharpest knife in the place where they keep the knives at (to quote Toy Story 3). I know, if I'm not happy, excuse myself and call back, but I'm hoping to get through this as painlessly as possible on the first try.

So, after all that blathering, I'd love any pointers from folks who are used to booking directly with Disney.
I'm not sure I am understanding exactly what the question is....but, you can get an inept CM at any time of the day. Most CM's are just fine for booking a room though. I just wouldn't ask specific questions about the parks or resorts though....they don't always get that info right.

But, I have never used anyone else to call and book a room for me. It's a quick, painless process...just call and tell them the room you'd like with a AAA discount. They will look it up and tell you whether it's available. They may ask if you want tickets or DDP (that's their job), you just say no Thank You. Oven ever had someone badger me about adding things on once I've said no.

Happy Planning!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: