Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Swimming in Feb.

We are currently planning our 1st WDW for May 2014. We have decided on a split stay at AoA and YC. We decided on YC bc of location, and pool. We do also plan to have a day at one or both of the water parks. However, I have been toying with the idea of early Feb, before Presidents Week. Will it be warm enough to swim? We are planning 8 full days, 2 of which are dedicated relaxation days (may hit parks in the evening). If it is generally not warm enough, we will still stay at AoA, but unsure about 2nd portion of the trip. Any ideas?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post on, not sure where to ask this question.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
bowbat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
We are currently planning our 1st WDW for May 2014. We have decided on a split stay at AoA and YC. We decided on YC bc of location, and pool. We do also plan to have a day at one or both of the water parks. However, I have been toying with the idea of early Feb, before Presidents Week. Will it be warm enough to swim? We are planning 8 full days, 2 of which are dedicated relaxation days (may hit parks in the evening). If it is generally not warm enough, we will still stay at AoA, but unsure about 2nd portion of the trip. Any ideas?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post on, not sure where to ask this question.
Probably not, but that never stops anyone. We were at Disney during that week last year, it was in the 50s, we were in pea coats, and we sat on our balcony watching people swim. We thought they were nuts, but then again, we live in Florida -- it's got to be in the 80s with a water temp of at least 85 for me to dip a toe in.

This February was definitely warmer than last, but I don't think you can count on it being warm enough to swim.
Wilderness Lodge – 10/2011, 11/2012, 11/2013
Boardwalk Inn – 11/2011, 3/2014
Grand Floridian – 2/2012
Yacht Club – 6/2013
bowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
dizneekrazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowbat View Post
Probably not, but that never stops anyone. We were at Disney during that week last year, it was in the 50s, we were in pea coats, and we sat on our balcony watching people swim. We thought they were nuts, but then again, we live in Florida -- it's got to be in the 80s with a water temp of at least 85 for me to dip a toe in.

This February was definitely warmer than last, but I don't think you can count on it being warm enough to swim.
Thank you!! Feb is out of the question, then!!

Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
Old 05-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
amw
need a new tag

We always get in the pool ... But we're from Canada! You will always find Canadians and Brits by the pool enjoying the sun no matter what temps!

Seeing that you are from California, I think you will find Feb generally too cold for the pools. Disney says they heat all their pools to 83, but they always feel way cooler than any offsite pools.

WDW, March 2014 - POR
WDW, March 2013 - Swan
WDW, August 2012 - Beach Club Grand Gathering
DLR, August 2011 - Sheraton Anaheim
WDW, March 2011 - Marriott Sabal Palms
WDW, March 2010 - POFQ & Hilton Clearwater
WDW, Feb 2009 - Poly - a Disney pin sucked me in!
WDW, April 2008 - Bonnet Creek Resort
DLR, March 2007 - Hyatt - First trip ever to DL!
WDW, Sept 2005 - Cypress Pointe
WDW, Nov 2003 - HIFS - First trip with my princesses!
WDW, Nov 1998 - Grosvenor
WDW, Aug 1980 - Fort Wilderness
WDW, Aug 1974 - Fort Wilderness - Toddling my way through MK!
amw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
robinb
DIS Veteran

We go in December and we always swim. Heck, my DD swims when it's too cold for the lifeguards! But ... we are from Wisconsin and temperatures in the 50's and 60's is warm for us. San Francisco is a pretty moderate climate, so I would guess that Orlando isn't a whole lot warmer than home in February. Would you swim at home in an outdoor heated pool?
robinb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
dizneekrazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
We go in December and we always swim. Heck, my DD swims when it's too cold for the lifeguards! But ... we are from Wisconsin and temperatures in the 50's and 60's is warm for us. San Francisco is a pretty moderate climate, so I would guess that Orlando isn't a whole lot warmer than home in February. Would you swim at home in an outdoor heated pool?
Nope!! Lol. I can't usually get in the water here at home unless it is at LEAST 75F, and that is pushing it. I get cold very easily. The swimming is for the kids, but I like to lay out. If there is even a slight breeze, I need to cover up with a towel. We were in Hawaii mid-April, it was a bit cooler than usual, and there were a few times I had to cover myself until the sun reappeared from behind the clouds.

PS. I just looked at your signature, I am ENVIOUS that you have been to all those Disney parks!! Which was your favorite of the international parks?

Old 05-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
disd55
Mouseketeer

The average temps for WDW in early Feb is about 71-75, with 75 being the most uncommon in that range. The lows are in the low 50s. It can be a bit chilly. It will most likely be too cool to spend more than 10 mins in the pool.
disd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
archrd
Mouseketeer

We always go swimming, but we are from Canada. Last year we were there the last week of Jan and first week of Feb and there was only 1 day that we did not go swimming. I do have to say though that we did see a lot of people wearing what we would consider a winter parka and we were running around in shorts.
archrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
Nope!! Lol. I can't usually get in the water here at home unless it is at LEAST 75F, and that is pushing it. I get cold very easily. The swimming is for the kids, but I like to lay out. If there is even a slight breeze, I need to cover up with a towel. We were in Hawaii mid-April, it was a bit cooler than usual, and there were a few times I had to cover myself until the sun reappeared from behind the clouds.

PS. I just looked at your signature, I am ENVIOUS that you have been to all those Disney parks!! Which was your favorite of the international parks?
I see your signature now says MAY 2014. I think that's the perfect time for WDW! My favorite park is Disneyland in California. My favorite international park is Disney Seas in Tokyo.
robinb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
dizneekrazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I see your signature now says MAY 2014. I think that's the perfect time for WDW! My favorite park is Disneyland in California. My favorite international park is Disney Seas in Tokyo.
Yes, I have it set for May. Things can still change since nothing is booked, but as of now, May it is.

I hear that a lot about Tokyo. I can't wait to go, to all of them!! Lol

Old 05-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
Mrs Eeyore
Mouseketeer

We went in February of 2006 and stayed offsite, and the kids went swimming every day. Yes, we're Canadian. Seemed warm enough to us.
Mrs Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

It just depends on you. I'm a wimpy, FL girl who won't swim unless the pool water is at least 85 degrees. The pools are heated but February can be downright cold (FL weather is oh so unpredictable!) and getting in/out of the pool could be frigid!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
Dsnyfireman
Mouseketeer

We swim in February . We don't do a lot of resort or pool time but one night we try to get the kids in the pool. We are from Maine so anything over 65 and we swim!!!! Hell the lake I grew up on never got to 65 I don't think!!Lol
Dsnyfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
Ladcassidy
Mouseketeer

We visited WDW February 10-14 this year. The weather hit the low 80s and we swam everyday.
Ladcassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
GoofyFairie
DIS Veteran

We went in Feb over Valentines in 2010 for a week. The day we landed it was 75 and sunny. It went down every day. The last 4 days we were there we were layering our clothes. It got to 32 and lower at night and took all day to hit 50-55. The kids were cold and wanted hats and gloves. So did I! No swimming for us and we are from the frigid north. I say go in May. Enjoy your trip, what ever time you go!

I've been Boo'd! Thank you suprgrlx! And agnes!
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow and tomorrow's just a dream away!
GoofyFairie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: