Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
mom4praise
Earning My Ears

AoA or 2 rooms at an All Star

I am looking for opinions on which would be #1 cheaper and #2 more comfortable. My children and I are looking at late October 2014 and staying 9 days. It will be myself (39), my so (39), ds (18), dd (17), ds (14), and ds (6). We like the looks of AoA and the reviews are awesome, but would we be better off with two rooms at an All-Star. Any opinions would really help me in making this decision, it's becoming a hard one to make.

Me (38) , DS (17) , DD (16) , DS (13) and DS (5)
mom4praise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
MeeskaMomma
DIS Veteran

If you can do the suite AoA for sure!
MeeskaMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
mom4praise
Earning My Ears

Yes, we were deffinately looking at a suite, probably Lion King. Just wondering with all the big guys if it will be enough space. All of the older guys are 6' or more

Old 05-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
mom to minnie&mickey
Mouseketeer

I agree that AOA looks like a really fun resort. However, it is the most expensive of the values. All Star Music also has suites which are less expensive. The rooms at Music and Sports are also less expensive than the other values. With a suite you would all be together and you also have a small kitchen with a microwave, fridge and coffee maker which allows you to make small meals if not on the ddp to save money. However, there is only one "real" bed and the others are pull-outs. I don't know how comfortable your teenagers would be.

With two rooms you all get to sleep in a real bed and also have two bathrooms which is almost a necessity with 6 people. Not sure if there are 2 in a suite.
You will request connecting rooms but these are not guaranteed unless there is only 1 adult on your reservation. So, you may end up with separate rooms although I am not sure how often that happens. Happy planning!
mom to minnie&mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
plutospalforever
Statler & Waldorf

I was just making this decision myself a few months ago. The least expensive choice is two connecting rooms at an All star. We have always stayed at an AS and dearly love them (especially Sports), but this year we have opted for AoA suite. We figured this would be the only year where all would fit comfortably; next trip two connecting rooms, one for guys and one for gals, and more comfortable beds for the oldest two kids. AoA does have two bathrooms. The kitchen table turns into a Murphy bed and the couch turns into the other. All Stars now includes a mini fridge in the room. AoA has interior corridors, where AS's has outside corridors. Good luck with your decision and if you have any more questions would be happy to answer. : )

plutospalforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
TotallyTink
Mouseketeer

My family did 2 connecting rooms at Pop this past November and it worked out great. They don't guarantee connecting rooms but I have never had this request not work out. The 2 connecting rooms were cheaper than a suite at AoA.

I would have loved to stay in a Lion King suite at AoA but Grandma was coming along and I wan't sure how comfortable the table bed or couch bed would be for an adult.

TotallyTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
mom4praise
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone. Those replies were exactly what we were hoping for. It looks like a big savings to go with 2 rooms at an AS. We aren't looking to spend a lot of time at the hotel so not too worried about hotel ammenities.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
3boys4me
DIS Veteran

We do 2 rooms and it works great for us.

11/2004 All Star Movies
11/2005 POFQ
11/2008 Coronado Springs
11/2009 Coronado Springs
11/2010 Caribbean Beach Resort
03/2011 POP, 11/2011 POP
11/2012 AoA, 11/2013 POP
3boys4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

With taller people I would do 2 rooms.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
mickeygirl78
Mouseketeer

We priced it out on our last trip and two connecting rooms were cheaper than one suite. You could always book the little mermaid section at AOA if you really wanted to try that resort.

We decided on the two LM rooms as no one in our party wanted to sleep on a couch or table for ten nights.

Also, even though connecting rooms is just a request, we have never had an issue getting them.
mickeygirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
lmbraun
Earning My Ears

I'm just throwing it out- with that many people unless you get free dining, you may want a kitchen. We were in the same boat, on a budget & bringing grown children so we compared both of the options you mentioned but ended up renting DVC points and are staying in a 2 bedroom/ 2bath villa with a full kitchen & laundry at Boardwalk. There are two entrances and it can be closed off into 2 separate units- so if some wants to stay out later they won't disturb the rest. Lastly, the money we are saving by ordering groceries and doing breakfast in the room & packing a light lunch allowed us to do table service every night & the total cost was about the same as 2 standard rooms. Plus we can walk to Epcot & HS & have the boardwalk to stroll every night with room to stretch out! Just a thought, I did not even know about renting DVC & how affordable it can be! Whatever you choose, have fun!!!
lmbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
4under4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbraun View Post
I'm just throwing it out- with that many people unless you get free dining, you may want a kitchen. We were in the same boat, on a budget & bringing grown children so we compared both of the options you mentioned but ended up renting DVC points and are staying in a 2 bedroom/ 2bath villa with a full kitchen & laundry at Boardwalk. There are two entrances and it can be closed off into 2 separate units- so if some wants to stay out later they won't disturb the rest. Lastly, the money we are saving by ordering groceries and doing breakfast in the room & packing a light lunch allowed us to do table service every night & the total cost was about the same as 2 standard rooms. Plus we can walk to Epcot & HS & have the boardwalk to stroll every night with room to stretch out! Just a thought, I did not even know about renting DVC & how affordable it can be! Whatever you choose, have fun!!!
I agree with this 100%. Even at my kids' ages they don't like to share beds. Renting DVC points can get you a great 2 bedroom with a full kitchen, which means privacy for everyone. AND if you can snag a Tree House Villa (same points as renting a 2 bedroom at SSR), you will end up with 3 bedrooms (2 with queens, one with bunks or another queen) plus a convertible chair and couch in the livingroom. Everyone could have their own bed, or you can still have some sharing and keep the common area clear.

Me & DH plus our gang: DS11 DS9 DD/DS7
4under4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4under4 View Post

I agree with this 100%. Even at my kids' ages they don't like to share beds. Renting DVC points can get you a great 2 bedroom with a full kitchen, which means privacy for everyone. AND if you can snag a Tree House Villa (same points as renting a 2 bedroom at SSR), you will end up with 3 bedrooms (2 with queens, one with bunks or another queen) plus a convertible chair and couch in the livingroom. Everyone could have their own bed, or you can still have some sharing and keep the common area clear.
Unfortunately, they raised the point value for THV and it is quite a bit more than a 2 bedroom now.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #14
mom4praise
Earning My Ears

Thanks for some help :)

I looked into renting DVC points, but it puts me in the kitchen. I'm a single mom, my SO and I do not live together (yet). I know me, I won't really relax if there's a regular kitchen, I'll feel like I have to cook. We had a family meeting yesterday, and decided we are going to do two rooms at All Star Movies. We aren't very picky when it comes to hotels, since we don't tend to spend much time in them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: