Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #61
askl293
Earning My Ears

4.99 Ikea 3 pocket organizer
2.99 Ribbon from Joann Fabric
2 pieces of .39cent felt that i cut into shapes
I bought disney cardstock from joann as well thats what the mickey and the donald shapes are, i believe it was 2 or 3$ with a coupon,
then i just hot glued everything on
Old 05-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #62
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I procrastinated for over 6 months, and finally finished this in a little over an hour. The graphics are from the design threads, printed on Tshirt transfers.

Top wide ribbon actually came as part of the packaging with a Princess fleece blanket we bought. Sewed it on for strength. Trim ribbon is from Joann's. I might embellish it a bit more, but I'm pressed for time. Ironing on the transfers was the hardest part and it took over 30 minutes. It was difficult to gauge how hot the iron should be w/o burning the polyester. I finally re-ironed a few times before peeling and it stuck. Don't peel off the entire page right away -- and re-iron the transfer with a thin sheet of cotton over the backing to prevent burning the paper.

Last edited by lilpooh108; 05-23-2013 at 02:51 AM.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2013, 01:56 AM   #63
supercrossfox21
Mouseketeer

All of those came out so cute. Thanks for sharing. I ran out to my Ikea as soon as I saw this post. Didn't bother paying attention that it cant be ironed- although some of you said you did and it was ok.

My question is, I was going to use an iron on transfer that I print from my computer- that has to be ironed on using cotton setting. Do you think that will be to hot for the ikea hanger? I know if you dont use a high heat for the iron on transfer they wont stick.
supercrossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:54 AM   #64
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrossfox21 View Post
All of those came out so cute. Thanks for sharing. I ran out to my Ikea as soon as I saw this post. Didn't bother paying attention that it cant be ironed- although some of you said you did and it was ok.

My question is, I was going to use an iron on transfer that I print from my computer- that has to be ironed on using cotton setting. Do you think that will be to hot for the ikea hanger? I know if you dont use a high heat for the iron on transfer they wont stick.
Ironing on took me the longest (about 45 min). Smooth out the panels on low heat (this takes a long time). Cut the transfer paper to fit the pocket or else it's hard to manage. Then put the iron on high. Put a wooden chopping board inside the pocket and iron away. I put a swaddle blanket over the paper so it wouldn't burn. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #65
supercrossfox21
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Ironing on took me the longest (about 45 min). Smooth out the panels on low heat (this takes a long time). Cut the transfer paper to fit the pocket or else it's hard to manage. Then put the iron on high. Put a wooden chopping board inside the pocket and iron away. I put a swaddle blanket over the paper so it wouldn't burn. Good luck!
Thank you. Would never have thought of a wooden chopping block. but makes sense. I guess its a good thing it was cheap if I ruin it, but would like to get it right the 1st time
Old 05-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #66
WoodDisney
Earning My Ears

These are great!!

DVC members
WoodDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #67
vgrandy
Mouseketeer

How are you all attaching the ribbon to hang the FE with? I am almost done with mine just need to figure out this last step.

Victoria
vgrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #68
canadakath
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgrandy View Post
How are you all attaching the ribbon to hang the FE with? I am almost done with mine just need to figure out this last step.

Victoria
I did this part of mine yesterday - just hand stitched the ribbon to the top corners. Went over it a couple of times in case it gets heavy (we have big FE group!!!). I think some others have used dowels as well.

POFQ - May 2009 | AKL - November 2009 | CR - November 2010 | 7-nt Western on the Magic 1/22/2011 | CR - November 2011 | POR - November 2012 |Discovering the Magic of the Med! 12-nt with Greek Isles 6/15/13 | POLY - November 2013
canadakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #69
supercrossfox21
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know how many posts you have to make before you can post an attachment? I finally finished my Ikea FE and wanted to post a pic. It says I cant post attachments yet.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #70
Callymum
DIS Veteran

I bought two of these last year for my FE. Good size and quite deep.
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #71
jskacoc
Earning My Ears

This is our first FE. My DH did most of the work and I am very pleased with it!
Ribbons, rope, dowel and wheel charms came from AC Moore. Mickey/Minnie heads came from a DISign. Ribbons were hot glued. Used iron on transfers on 'lin' setting. I don't iron often so I'm guessing it stands for linen? My DH cut the heads out and ironed for about 30-50 seconds each he's guessing. It seemed fast to me but it worked perfectly. I put a hand towel in the pocket before ironing.

He cut a slit in the back of it on each side and slid the dowel thru. Put hot glue on the end of the dowels and wrapped it with the rope.

Thanks to everyone for all of the ideas and tips!
May 2010 Disney Wonder & POR
Oct 2008 off-site
Oct 2007 off-site

Last edited by jskacoc; 05-29-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: wrong word
jskacoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #72
jskacoc
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrossfox21 View Post
Does anyone know how many posts you have to make before you can post an attachment? I finally finished my Ikea FE and wanted to post a pic. It says I cant post attachments yet.

Thanks
I was nervous when I read your post that I wouldn't be able to also. Looks like my last post was #39 so I'm thinking you are close to the magic number!
May 2010 Disney Wonder & POR
Oct 2008 off-site
Oct 2007 off-site
jskacoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #73
supercrossfox21
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskacoc View Post
I was nervous when I read your post that I wouldn't be able to also. Looks like my last post was #39 so I'm thinking you are close to the magic number!

Thanks. I'll just keep posting until it allows me. Hopefully soon
Old 05-31-2013, 06:15 AM   #74
vgrandy
Mouseketeer

Ikea- hanger
Ebay- red ribbon
Etsy- mickey heads
Joanne Fabric- black ribbon, letters

vgrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #75
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

LOVE the dowel rod, rope and little hanging ship wheels off of them. SO cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskacoc View Post

This is our first FE. My DH did most of the work and I am very pleased with it!
Ribbons, rope, dowel and wheel charms came from AC Moore. Mickey/Minnie heads came from a DISign. Ribbons were hot glued. Used iron on transfers on 'lin' setting. I don't iron often so I'm guessing it stands for linen? My DH cut the heads out and ironed for about 30-50 seconds each he's guessing. It seemed fast to me but it worked perfectly. I put a hand towel in the pocket before ironing.

He cut a slit in the back of it on each side and slid the dowel thru. Put hot glue on the end of the dowels and wrapped it with the rope.

Thanks to everyone for all of the ideas and tips!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: