Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #496
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid2000 View Post
Would they help me in my quest for justice or would they be looking for what was best for themselves first? My fantasy has been shattered and I cruised DCL for the fantasy.
What I find interesting is the use of the word 'justice.' What is justice? Is there any real sense of justice sending a man to jail for 25 years? what if he felt no remorse and got out and did the same thing again and went to jail for another 25 years. Is that 'justice'? I find that in the United States of America, so many people get caught up with sending someone to jail or suing someone… for what? does any of that make you feel better? Is 'justice' actually served? I am definitely not saying I would just let this guy go, but 'justice' is rarely served in the USA system… in this system, someone gets money because of 'damages'… well these damages are not fixed with money, and no amount of money or legal battles will ever change that… so the next time anyone thinks that they are searching for 'justice' by hoping someone will be arrested, just think about what crime they committed and if 'justice' is actually being served...

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
Old 05-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #497
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
In fact the statement is wrong, because the lady at DL who was hit by the cleat that pulled out of the dock, when the Mark Twain was docking was declared dead on the dock.

AKK
I've never heard of a woman being killed on the MT.

I've heard of a man who was declared dead two days after being hit by a cleat on the SS Columbia at Disneyland, though.

Oh wait, another article said that "The man was removed from life support about 11 hours after the accident."

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #498
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
"Suppose you picked up this morning's newspaper and your life was a front page headline... And everything they said was accurate... But none of it was true?"

"Absence of Malice"

You just proved my point about the media and alleged *journalists* today. IF your write a article, it should be accurate and true. I am sure there are some real and honest reporters today but with most there is little honor or interest in getting the real and correct information. When the fact don't do it they make it up.

Sorry but that is the truth today.

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 05-27-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #499
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I've never heard of a woman being killed on the MT.

I've heard of a man who was declared dead two days after being hit by a cleat on the SS Columbia at Disneyland, though.

Oh wait, another article said that "The man was removed from life support about 11 hours after the accident."

It was not on MT she was waiting to board the next trip, as the MT was coming into the dock.

There was a big debate about if the MT came in to fast and hard or if the dock was rotted and the cleat just puller loose. It happened about 8 or 10 years ago.

Google it I am sure its still online somewhere.

AKK
Old 05-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #500
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You just proved my point about the media and alleged *journalists* today. IF your write a article, it should be accurate and true. I am sure there are some real and honest reporters today but with most there is little honor or interest in getting the real and correct information. When the fact don't do it they make it up.

AKK

Which is why it bothers me that no other news people reported on this. The story was never vetted or validated by other news sources. Not saying the guy that reported it works for The National Enquirer but the fact that no other reporters did their own investigation casts doubt on what was reported.

The story implies a cover up which is juicy news and a bigger story than all alleged inappropriate touching. Just call me the skeptic.

BTW, was the original internal complaint published? Supposedly, that is where the times came from. So post the report so we can see if it looks legit and not doctored. I'd also like to see exactly what the report says and not have to trust a journalists interpretation of it.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #501
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid2000 View Post
Everyone has their opinions and their own views on how things happened and how they should or shouldn't have been handled.

I never had the notion that DCL was better than most other lines when it came to service, food,etc. We paid more for DCL because we love the Disney atmosphere; the hidden Mickey's, the music as you walked down the halls, the characters roaming about... and also because I felt Disney, as a corporation, had my family's back. I believed they cared more for their customers than most other places. Naive, I know, but it was what I believed.

After this, and other recent decisions made by the higher ups on DCL, I no longer believe this. Do I believe it would have been a different situation if it had been my child or any other US child when and where it occurred? I do. But now I question how it would be handled if it were my child and we were docked at foreign port. What if we were sailing in Europe or docked in Cozumel? Would they help me in my quest for justice or would they be looking for what was best for themselves first? My fantasy has been shattered and I cruised DCL for the fantasy.

There is no reason to believe this is a systemic issue with Disney. OTOH, if your fantasy was that Disney was perfect and not run by fallible people, this was a good wake up call.....even if it turns out not to be true.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Old 05-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #502
Kendal
DIS Veteran

Bottom line is in my opinion no one is perfect not even Disney as we would like to think... These people slip through the cracks all the time And we will never know if this was this guys first time or 100th time... We would like to think not.. We all need to teach our kids what to do if ever in a situation like this... This family Gould consider there selves lucky a little I would think that this guy did not take this any further than what already happened not saying what happens was right but the outcome could of been worse... These kids look to us for there safety we have to be there for them... As for Disney in my opinion they did what they had to do these guys know te rules and I'm sure they went by the rules... Like I said earlier these guys slip through the cracks we just gotta teach our kids.......

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 05-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #503
rhorsley
Mouseketeer

Cleat incident appears to be the one in CA, where the guy died later. No record of the exact same thing happening to a woman in WDW. However, there was a woman with the man in CA who was also injured:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/deaths.asp#

Also, the maxim, "no one dies in Disney" is addressed here and appears to be usually correct sans 2 issues, but not through any Disney enforcement, but process in the jurisdiction (which Disney had incorporated as a separate town I believe..hence having its own mayor)

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/declare.asp
Old 05-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #504
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhorsley View Post
Cleat incident appears to be the one in CA, where the guy died later. No record of the exact same thing happening to a woman in WDW. However, there was a woman with the man in CA who was also injured:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/deaths.asp#

Also, the maxim, "no one dies in Disney" is addressed here and appears to be usually correct sans 2 issues, but not through any Disney enforcement, but process in the jurisdiction (which Disney had incorporated as a separate town I believe..hence having its own mayor)

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/declare.asp

I have to stand corrected!..my error.

Seems the wife was hit as well, but the man died.

The article I read long ago (shortly after the accident) was that the woman was declared dead at the scene.!

AKK
Old 05-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #505
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-fan-22 View Post
What I find interesting is the use of the word 'justice.' What is justice? Is there any real sense of justice sending a man to jail for 25 years? what if he felt no remorse and got out and did the same thing again and went to jail for another 25 years. Is that 'justice'? I find that in the United States of America, so many people get caught up with sending someone to jail or suing someone& for what? does any of that make you feel better? Is 'justice' actually served? I am definitely not saying I would just let this guy go, but 'justice' is rarely served in the USA system& in this system, someone gets money because of 'damages'& well these damages are not fixed with money, and no amount of money or legal battles will ever change that& so the next time anyone thinks that they are searching for 'justice' by hoping someone will be arrested, just think about what crime they committed and if 'justice' is actually being served...
LOL- so what "system" is justice better served in than the USA??? maybe they should just throw him overboard and let the sharks get him...but wait; according to you (page 27) the little girl did not make a scene, the inference being we'll never know.

this creep would've been given due process and the right to a free lawyer to defend himself had he been given to local authorities- and that assumes local authorities investigated the case and saw reason to prosecute....instead he got away with little other than a free trip home...

Last edited by Zeppelin; 05-27-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #506
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
The one line that everyone seems to be skipping over is the line I bolded, neither the victim nor the assailant were US Nationals, hence DCL wasn't required to report the crime. Don't blame them for following the letter of the law blame the people who wrote it.

Disney Cruise Line has zero tolerance for crime on board its vessels. On international voyages that embark or disembark in the United States, Disney Cruise Line is required by federal law to report on board felonies and missing U.S. nationals to federal agencies. For a missing U.S. national and all serious felonies (homicide, suspicious death, kidnapping, assault with serious bodily injury, sexual assaults as defined by federal laws, firing or tampering with the vessel, or theft of money or property in excess of $10,000) the incident must be reported to the F.B.I. by telephone as soon as possible, to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security electronically, and to the U.S. Coast Guard in writing. These requirements apply to incidents that occur on board in U.S. territorial waters, or on the high seas or in foreign waters if the assailant or victim is a U.S. national."
i could be wrong but i don't know about that....a crime is a crime in the US or US territorial waters..i read the "or" if the crime was committed in the high seas/foreign waters, which it wasn't, then the rules change...

if one non-US national knocks another non-US national unconscious with a bat as they are walking onto a cruise ship, is it not a crime??
Old 05-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #507
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:

AKK
I have little faith in the media. Nowadays, it all about sensationalism and spin. They slant the truth to their benefit.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #508
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
I have little faith in the media. Nowadays, it all about sensationalism and spin. They slant the truth to their benefit.
count me in as one who has little trust and belief in most of the media- but that video is pretty damning...
Old 05-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #509
chateau
DIS Veteran

I could NOT believe the grandmother dropped the charges. A phrase comes to mind from the movie "Pretty Woman" (not because of the situation, just HOW it's said)- Julia Roberts goes back to the store that rejected her, upon leaving she says "Big mistake, HUGE"- so was not pressing charges against the alleged assailant.

Yet another with little faith in most media here.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #510
billwald

Earning My Ears

From the Bahamas Tribune today:

COMMISSIONER of Police Ellison Greenslade,

"We Did All We Were Required To Do In Disney Cruise Case"

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2013/...y-cruise-case/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: