Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #2986
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy's Mom View Post

that's always my rationale. I first booked and paid for CBR...then a couple weeks later I upgraded to WL, then I last week I said "what the heck", lets do the GF. We're doing a long weekend and its only a couple hundred on each upgrade. and we've always wanted to stay there.

Now the problem will be next year.....who am I kidding, I'll use that same strategy.
I'll have to try that too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Old 05-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #2987
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygt View Post
Best location for Tpv? We also want to be closer to the water so I guess main building is out. I think boca chica?
Jennygt I think that the best TPVs near the water are in Conch Key..with Boca Chica second... there are also TPVs in Sago Cay..but that is not as centrally located on the GF grounds IMO....

K&A&CsMom has put together some very comprehensive info on the firsts few pages of this thread...page one has a map of the grounds that will give you a good idea of where all the building are located....

HTH

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #2988
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Turn down service is for all guests no matter where you stay at the GF. Also, chocolate is left on the bed too!
Thank you! That is good to know. We are booked over the 4th of July for Beach Club, Club Level. My DH and girls don't know where we are booked, but DH is talking so much about being on the monorail, and "Wouldn't it be great to go back to the Poly or the Grand?". He is soooo giving me hints as to where he want to be....

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
Old 05-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #2989
fabulousfive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom
Had to post another photo! Today, I received a Thank You from WDW for our recent visit - inside the envelope was a card signed by the characters, it is frameable quality. Nice touch!

If you can't read the text, it has our name (blocked out) and this message:

From all your Disney pals, we hope you created magical memories during your visit to Walt Disney World Resort in 2013.
Love this!!! Is this a new touch? Nice! Hope we get one too.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #2990
fabulousfive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJ Henry
We are now seriously thinking of switching our resort from YC to the GF. We have stayed at YC before and have LOVED IT!!!
But as we have have been thinking...... we now have our 7 year old daughter, my husband has back problems so after a long day in the park it may be an easier walk to our room since the resort is not as spread out, we would be on the monorail for the first time, and it is a special vacation for us.........
Just worried we won't like it as much as YC which we were very excited to get back to. I have never been a huge fan of the room decorating at GF but that is probably the only thing I can find that I may not like....

It will be a big expense for us but we were alreay planning on YC so it isn't THAT much more money..... (has been my rationalization)

Are most all of the room rather close to the monorail and main building?
We were in conch key and it really is a short walk to the main building where you get the monorail. It's a lovely resort! We love it!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #2991
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgulls View Post

Last month, a manager-looking CM with a hard hat and I were chatting and he speculated they'd come down around June. And when I walked up the side stairs at Big Pine, you could see them working actively on the beach area. I believe they're replacing all the concrete work and such.

But I have no idea if (i) the CM really knew or (ii) how much will change as the project progresses. Fingers crossed for you. It will look even that much better once you can see the lagoon from the Beach Pool.
Hope this is true!

Did we ever find out what the reason was for the beach pool waterfall not working? I thought I had read something about a beach pool expansion on the DVC side. If true, any clue when this would happen?
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 05-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #2992
Rhongepooh
I must ponder this news

Ok I ended up requesting Sago Cay since it looks close to the main building and Gas' Grill. Anyone stay here before? I got a higher floor just because we don't want a ground level floor.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #2993
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhongepooh
Ok I ended up requesting Sago Cay since it looks close to the main building and Gas' Grill. Anyone stay here before? I got a higher floor just because we don't want a ground level floor.
Stayed there twice and requested again for this trip. Garden, marina viewWe have stayed 4th and ground floor- had no issue either time. We like it because we self-park and use the car alot and Gasparillas.
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
Old 05-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #2994
Lynn-e-pooh
Believing in the Magic

Do the shops at GF sell bottles of wine? I would like to get a bottle as part of my parent's anniversary gift.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #2995
Rhongepooh
I must ponder this news

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetTigsGal View Post

Stayed there twice and requested again for this trip. Garden, marina viewWe have stayed 4th and ground floor- had no issue either time. We like it because we self-park and use the car alot and Gasparillas.
Glad to hear it! Thanks so much!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #2996
phyllis1966
DIS addict who eats vicariously through others on the Restaurant Board
It makes me feel old when a young whippersnapper calls me "ma'am"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhongepooh View Post
I would request a higher floor (we always do) and marina view...the other side of the building faces trees and the monorail track. While the monorail may be cool to see as it whizzes by, I think that the marina is a more interesting view than those trees, especially at night.

May 2006::December 2006 - surprise 40th Birthday family trip!!!
November 2007::November 2009::November 2010
November 2011 - GF surprised us with upgrade to RPC-TPV!::October 2012 - GF surprised us again - upgraded to Sugarloaf for 20th Anniversary!::July 2014 - Aulani!::F&WF Quickie October 2014
Sweet 16 Trip to Disneyland - July 2015

Our little family: DH and me ~ DD15 ~ Gracie
Old 05-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #2997
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn-e-pooh View Post
Do the shops at GF sell bottles of wine? I would like to get a bottle as part of my parent's anniversary gift.
I think all the resort shops sell beer, wine & alcohol. I've not stayed at GF yet, but every other wdw resort we've stayed in has wine.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Old 05-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #2998
BayGirl22
DIS Veteran

I'm back and said I would post photos of the Lagoon View room we were upgraded to. This is room 8145 in Boca Chica, it has 2 balconies, one facing the lagoon with a MK view and the other facing Narcoosies. It looks like the rooms above would have the same layout.

Here's the view at night with the electric water pagent. The castle (lit in purple) and space mountain are in the background. There is a tree in the view, this is the ground floor so we were kind of under the tree, but could sill see most of the fireworks show.

Because its a corner room the entrance way curves around. The closet is to the right here, bathroom in front when you enter. That gave us a nice area for the double stroller, diaper changing area, and room to get the kids ready near the closet. It felt very spacious and organized to me, and I'm kind of an organization freak.

Doorway to the main area

Past the bathroom area there is a table and 2 chairs and 1 door to the lagoon-facing balcony. This area seems to be additional to what's in the usual rooms

And finally the rest of the room, with the regular sliding door balcony facing Narcoosies. This is what the room looked like after turn down.

Also from this thread I had the impression the beach was completely blocked off. Not the case. Behind the kids splash pad there's a wide area of beach open, the outer buildings are just to the left in this picture, the construction is to the right. My son playing on the beach:

We were not bothered by the construction at all. The only time I noticed it was walking back from Poly, and that was in the evening so it was quiet. We spent some time at the splash pad but the water was so loud I didn't notice if there was noise from next door. I really wouldn't choose to stay somewhere else based on the construction at this point, I feel its isolated from the resort and the improvements to the main areas are already done and can be enjoyed.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #2999
BayGirl22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
I think all the resort shops sell beer, wine & alcohol. I've not stayed at GF yet, but every other wdw resort we've stayed in has wine.
Yes, the Sandy Cove store has a cooler full of beer and wine.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #3000
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

BayGirl22 Thanks so much for the pics. The room looks lovely Was there a daybed in this room?

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: