Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Married2theYeti
Mouseketeer
 
Married2theYeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 197

Contemporary Garden Wing vs POR Royal Room

Deciding between these two resorts. I really want CR because of the monorail. I am worried about the busses at POR. My daughter really wants to stay in the Royal Rooms; she says they scream Disney to her. My husband only cares about the money.

Since we will be doing O'Hana and Kona Cafe, the monorail would be great. But so would the cheaper room at POR. Please tell me what I will like better about POR, besides saving money. Thanks!
__________________
Pam

Married2theYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u
DIS Veteran
 
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 769

We have stayed all levels of resorts. I will say we have stayed at POR several times. Our favorite resoorts are the Poly and POR. Big difference in price of course but loved them about the same. We love POR grounds, pool, and the new rooms. Rooms have always been very clean. I know we will be back.
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Married2theYeti
Mouseketeer
 
Married2theYeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEVILdrPorkchop2u View Post
We have stayed all levels of resorts. I will say we have stayed at POR several times. Our favorite resoorts are the Poly and POR. Big difference in price of course but loved them about the same. We love POR grounds, pool, and the new rooms. Rooms have always been very clean. I know we will be back.
We too have stayed at all levels of resorts. The deluxes we have stayed at are BC and last year we stayed at the Poly for the first time. Therein lies the problem, I think. I became addicted! Can't afford the Poly this time around. That's how I started thinking about CR garden wing. I know alot of people on these boards love POR. I am trying to, but just can't seem to get there.
__________________
Pam

Married2theYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,328

Lots of factors....when are you going? How many nights? How old is your DD? Will you be spending lots of time at MK?

We have loved our stays at POR and would stay there again. But, we stayed there when our girls were little and, with two in strollers, it was no joy folding up two strollers and taking those buses. Waiting for the buses period is not a lot of fun.

Now that we've stayed at CR we know that being able to walk to and from MK is worth every single penny. Every.single.penny. In my opinion, you cannot put a price on the convenience of staying at CR. Especially if you are going at a very busy time. You will LOVE being able to just out the door and be on your way!

We loved the landscaping and theme of POR and LOVE the boat to DTD. If you decide to stay there, I think you will really love it. If you decide to stay at CR, you will be amazed at much you love it! And, I will warn you, it will spoil you for future trips. My DH no longer wants to stay anywhere else!

Good luck!
__________________
Nov 2014 - 25th Anniversary Trip
Oct 2014 Another WONDERful cruise!
Oct 2013 Our first cruise ever! LOVED the Wonder!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
2kidsForMe
Dreams of being a Guest without a Bag
 
2kidsForMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: RedSox Nation
Posts: 198

I just changed my POR Royal Room that I had booked for a mom-daughter trip to the CR. We are going over 4th of July, and even though the cost is almost double, I decided that the convenience of MK access is just too important to us for that time of the year.
__________________
Me: DH:: DD11 DS10




Nov "13 Pop & ASSP/Aug '13 POR/July '13 ASMo/April '13 Aulani/Nov '12 CSR/Jun '12 poly/Feb '12 DLR/Aug '11 CBR & Pop/Jan '11 ASMu/Aug '10 ASMu/Jan '10 FW/Aug '09 FW/Jan '09 ASMu/Aug '08 CSR/Feb '08 offsite/Aug '08 POR/April '08 FW/Oct '07 FW/May '05 WL/Dec '04 & 11/03 offsite/Nov '01 DTD/Aug '99 EuroDisney
2kidsForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Married2theYeti
Mouseketeer
 
Married2theYeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie in AZ View Post
Lots of factors....when are you going? How many nights? How old is your DD? Will you be spending lots of time at MK?

We have loved our stays at POR and would stay there again. But, we stayed there when our girls were little and, with two in strollers, it was no joy folding up two strollers and taking those buses. Waiting for the buses period is not a lot of fun.

Now that we've stayed at CR we know that being able to walk to and from MK is worth every single penny. Every.single.penny. In my opinion, you cannot put a price on the convenience of staying at CR. Especially if you are going at a very busy time. You will LOVE being able to just out the door and be on your way!

We loved the landscaping and theme of POR and LOVE the boat to DTD. If you decide to stay there, I think you will really love it. If you decide to stay at CR, you will be amazed at much you love it! And, I will warn you, it will spoil you for future trips. My DH no longer wants to stay anywhere else!

Good luck!
Our dates are 12/14 to 12/20. We may tweak those a bit. Our daughter will be 22 when we go. She is a Disney addict, like her mother. No youngsters to worry about, just a couple of oldsters. We will spend 1-2 days at MK. Not sure that we will go to DTD.

Did you stay in the garden wing rooms? Just wondering how that location is?

Thanks!
__________________
Pam

Married2theYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,328

Hmmmmmm, since you are going during the holidays I think you want CR. You can take the monorail around to Poly and GF to look at all the decorations. And, if you go to MVMCP, you'll want to be at CR for the ease of going back and forth to the MK.

We love the pools and the grounds at POR but it doesn't sound like you'll be using the pools in Dec. And, if you are not going to take the boat to DTD, then, in my opinion, not much reason to stay at POR except for the lower cost. My opinion is those rooms are pretty small for three adults, but that is just me. At the same time, you can't put a price on making your DD happy

Have you thought about a split stay? We love doing split stays so that we can experience two resorts instead of one.

The CR rooms in the garden wing are exactly like the rooms in the tower. The GW is a very short walk over to the tower. I would not hesitate to stay in the GW. I'm a huge fan of the CR.

Good luck with your decision!
__________________
Nov 2014 - 25th Anniversary Trip
Oct 2014 Another WONDERful cruise!
Oct 2013 Our first cruise ever! LOVED the Wonder!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
Married2theYeti
Mouseketeer
 
Married2theYeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie in AZ View Post
Hmmmmmm, since you are going during the holidays I think you want CR. You can take the monorail around to Poly and GF to look at all the decorations. And, if you go to MVMCP, you'll want to be at CR for the ease of going back and forth to the MK.

We love the pools and the grounds at POR but it doesn't sound like you'll be using the pools in Dec. And, if you are not going to take the boat to DTD, then, in my opinion, not much reason to stay at POR except for the lower cost. My opinion is those rooms are pretty small for three adults, but that is just me. At the same time, you can't put a price on making your DD happy

Have you thought about a split stay? We love doing split stays so that we can experience two resorts instead of one.

The CR rooms in the garden wing are exactly like the rooms in the tower. The GW is a very short walk over to the tower. I would not hesitate to stay in the GW. I'm a huge fan of the CR.

Good luck with your decision!
We are going to stay at CR!! I had my husband and daughter read your posts and they both agreed to save POR for another trip.

Thanks for your advice/help!
__________________
Pam

Married2theYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,328

Hooray! I KNOW you are going to love it! We think the CR is very magical. I think you will really like hopping on the monorail to eat and check out the decor at the Poly and the GF. The Gingerbread House at the GF is not to be missed! Another benefit of staying at CR......if you have a reservation at any of the other resorts or want to visit them, you can easily walk over to the MK bus area and hop on a bus for one of those resorts.

When going to the MK, we'd walk over in the morning and then take the monorail back for our afternoon break. There were not long lines for the monorail during the afternoon.

Excited for you! Have a wonderful time planning and then actually being there!!
__________________
Nov 2014 - 25th Anniversary Trip
Oct 2014 Another WONDERful cruise!
Oct 2013 Our first cruise ever! LOVED the Wonder!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.