Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2minnies View Post
My 2 DD are 19 and 21 and I hate it when they roam alone-like someone said it is a city and there has been plenty of info regarding crimes on cruise ships.

No way!

Linda
Wow. Words escape me.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
Topscot
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
I wouldn't let a 10 and 9 year old swim on their own. There isn't a life guard on duty and the kids pools tend to always be super crowded.

Wave phones are really the only way to communicate with each other. If say she is going to the aqua duck remind her she must text you when she is putting the phone in the cubby and she is to include the posted wait time and then call or text as soon as she is done. Tell her each time she rides she must text again. Besides that the phone should be close to her.

Just remember if you wouldn't let your child roam alone in say Wal-Mart or even WDW what makes you feel DCL is any safer? Anything could happen do to another passenger or even crew. I don't want this to sound rude so just throwing out that is not my intention. My intention is to get you thinking about what makes DCL safe enough to let a 9 an 10 year old roam what is basically a floating city. Like others have said lab to club gives them freedom to move around but on the boat alone needs some serious consideration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
I would never let a 9&10 year old "roam" the ship or go to the pool on their own. We started cruising DCL when our daughter was 6 and have completed 21 cruises and she is now 18 yo. She did not "roam " the ship until 14yo and had a curfew at that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
I totally agree. I think it's dangerous at that age and this thread makes me cringe. Cruise ships really do create a false sense of security. Do a search for cruise shop crimes and it's pretty scary.

Anyway OP, to answer your question, you'd have to use the wave phones.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Quote:
Originally Posted by KashasMom View Post
Disney cruise ships especially. In light of the recent molestation on the Dream accusations, this thread really makes me cringe. Not sure if the mother of the 9 year old is cruising, but if not and I was the mother, I'd sure want to know that my child will be running around the ship unsupervised.

Wave phones are fine for most of the time but I'd make sure to know when your child is on the move from one place to another. Hopefully your child will remember to call you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
My children were 9 and 11 on our recent cruise. I agree with PP on here. I didn't let my 11 year old sign herself out of the club/lab and I didn't let her walk around alone. I am very uncomfortable with the idea of a 9 and 10 year old roaming the ship. If you do decide to allow them, however, I would think the wave phones would be your only way to keep in touch. You can send messages on them so you could use it like a text. Have her text you before she leaves, when she gets there, etc. I will say we never quite got the hang of the wave phones. They are a bit spotty.
Thank you for all of the replies! I just wanted to emphasize that it was never my intention to allow my child to wander around the ship completely unsupervised at all times. We have been on the cruise before and didn't let her out of our sight. I was simply trying to feel out what others have done in terms of allowing kids of this age a little more of the freedom that they are asking for. I think that it would be ok for her to be with her friend on the same deck as we are on and I would never allow her to go swimming without me. Just if we were at the pool and they wanted to go on the Aqua Duck, what do they do with the wave phones. She is allowed to walk and ride her bike to school with friends as long as they stick together, what is the difference. I'm certainly not going to let my child go unsupervised for the day. It was more of a question of how often do you keep in touch with your child who might have a phone. They mom of the friend is on the ship with us (as is the dad) and they are comfortable letting them be on the same deck as well. Is it easier to tell them, ok come back in 15 minutes or did you find the wave phone worked well? Last time we were on, I had trouble figuring out how to use them.

3/31/11 - 4/1/11 POR
4/2/11 - 4/9/11 DCL Western

Topscot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #18
linetbo
Mouseketeer

When we were at the Dream my 13 DD and the friends she meet there were all time touring the ship. But after seeing the newus of the CM who touched a little girl breast and kiss her I will be more carefull next year on our cruise.

linetbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #19
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

In a word, no.
ITA with others who say cruise ships, especially DCL, give people a false sense of security. It's not just the crew, you have no idea what type of passengers are on board, just like you don't know who is hanging out at the local mall. Personally I think having sign out privileges optional at age 8 is ridiculous, as it perpetuates the idea that it is safe for 8yo children to be alone on the ship, but I digress
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #20
Fielhol
Mouseketeer

My 12 yr old will be allowed to sign himself out of the tween club. I don't believe I have another option on this so we are doing the white board thing as well. Including the parents. I will go down and write our location as well in case he is looking for me. And carry the wave phone with me so he can go back to the room and call me when he he is done with the club and I can come get him. Or he can say I'm heading to get pizza and I'll meet you there. But he won't be able to just get up in the morning and take off for the day. Or at night. Once he checks himself out of the club he will be calling me on the phone.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #21
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran

Kids do not sign in or out of the Edge or Vibe like they do at the Oceaneer's Club/Lab.
Stitch'sCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #22
jgura
Discruiser

Freedom

My DD's (10 1/2) have been anticipating ship freedom for the last year. They have been on many Dis cruises. First, we bought a special bag for them to carry the wave phone. Then what worked well for us on our last cruise was:

They were able to go to a day movie alone, they had to call us when they were in their seats and then we picked them up after the movie. They also did this for one of the musicals. When we had Palo dinner, (we spoke w/ our main dining server in advance & had a private table) we dropped girls off at MD to eat, then when they finished they had to go straight to the room and call us when they got there.

This still may seem like a tight rope, but they felt very cool being on their own those few times and had a lot of fun being without mom & dad. They did compare to us what some of the other kids were allowed to do...but I just explain every parent has their own rules. Take baby steps! I'm dreading next year when they move up a club.
For the future, I would never let them at the pools alone or roam the ship. They need a destination or activity. Hope my 2 scents helps!
The phones work well, but only vibrate, so you have to keep the phone close.
jgura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #23
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
Wow really!!! Even though they are old enough to drive, fight a war get married or have kids of their own.
Mine are 20 and 22, don't even want to take a cruise wirh Mom and Dad.

Have to admit I worry about them. But really!
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #24
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

We all come from different life experiences. I can understand being worried about even older children.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
Kristina - Mom
Mouseketeer

My DD is 11 (DS6) and she will not have sign-out priveleges and won't be allowed to roam around, even if she meets nice friends....I wouldn't let her do it at home so she can't do it on the ship. Kids can still hang out and meet with friends and as a parent you can "keep distance" but keep them in sight.

Just my opinion....I am very nervous about this stuff.

Kristina
Kristina - Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #26
Kristina - Mom
Mouseketeer

I think we need to not judge what others think......there is no age limit on worry.

Kristina
Kristina - Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #27
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina - Mom View Post
I think we need to not judge what others think......there is no age limit on worry.

Kristina
Agreed. I also have a 19 year old in college and I worry about her far more than my 7 year old.

OP, I don't think anyone is judging you. Just wanted to put that out there because it's such a touchy subject. And I know you didn't ask about whether or not it's right to let them roam the ship. You just wanted to know how to keep in touch should you decide to let them. I think most of us, at least myself anyway, are making comments in light of what just came out on the news regarding the Dream. I know I was just posting for awareness.

I've googled cruise ship crimes and there are so many pages The one that freaks me out the most is the 16 year old getting raped in her stateroom from the steward who had a key. I mean....I wouldn't have thought twice about letting a 16 year old be alone I'm our room.

You would expect a cruise ship would be safe thinking where could they run off to? You would certainly expect Disney to be safe and family oriented. But really, I doubt they even do background checks on the employees. How can they when most of them are from outside the US. What better place for sickos to work because it's likely so easy to get away with it.

Things can happen anywhere, and I tend to border on overly cautious. But I think cruise ships are a place to be extra careful.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #28
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Well I'm almost 50 and my Mom still worries about me

We let my DD check herself out of the kid's club when she was 9 and we were in Palo. At the time there weren't any wave phones but we brought walkie talkies with us instead. She was instructed on this particular occasion that if she wanted to leave that she had to let the CM know to beep us (they had beepers then) and she could only go straight to our cabin and contact us on the walkie talkie to let us know when she got there. She had to stay in the cabin until we returned from Palo (with strict instructions to stay out of the way of the stateroom host if she happened to interrupt her).

This was our second cruise and we made sure she knew the way from the clubs to our cabin and that she was not allowed to go into anyone else's cabin or let anyone into our cabin.

So yes, not a hundred percent perfect safety, but pretty controlled. On later cruises, as she got older, we made sure we knew where she and her older brother were by stickie notes and a white board in the cabin... but most of the time they were with us.

Not a fan of the pools on DCL so I agree I would not let them swim without one of us there. A few rides on the aquaduck while we were at the pool was fine as long as they came back to us when they were done and didn't go anywhere else on the ship (except restroom).

When you set up the guidelines ahead of time you can let a relatively mature and trustworthy nine year old go to certain spots for short periods of time without you.

It totally depends on the kid and the comfort level of the parent. You can drive yourself crazy with "what ifs.."
The bottom line is your kids need to learn how to be self sufficient in gradual steps so that when they do go off on their own they are capable of navigating the world without you...I'm not saying giving a nine year old freedom to roam the ship on their own for as long as they want...but small amounts of freedom, with specific guidelines, for kids that have proven themselves trustworthy is not a bad idea...

I like the idea of the pouches for the girls to hold the wavephones and shorts with deep pockets for the boys And regular checking in for the teens as well, and reasonable curfews and guidelines...a lot depends on the individual kid

I am going to make sure that my kids know about the recent incident on the Dream and are prepared to make a scene if needed to keep a predator away.

I know my kids roll their eyes when I start to recite my list of rules for on the ship, but they do benefit from reminders and if nothing else it makes me feel better ...
Old 05-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #29
Topscot
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgura View Post
My DD's (10 1/2) have been anticipating ship freedom for the last year. They have been on many Dis cruises. First, we bought a special bag for them to carry the wave phone. Then what worked well for us on our last cruise was:

They were able to go to a day movie alone, they had to call us when they were in their seats and then we picked them up after the movie. They also did this for one of the musicals. When we had Palo dinner, (we spoke w/ our main dining server in advance & had a private table) we dropped girls off at MD to eat, then when they finished they had to go straight to the room and call us when they got there.

This still may seem like a tight rope, but they felt very cool being on their own those few times and had a lot of fun being without mom & dad. They did compare to us what some of the other kids were allowed to do...but I just explain every parent has their own rules. Take baby steps! I'm dreading next year when they move up a club.
For the future, I would never let them at the pools alone or roam the ship. They need a destination or activity. Hope my 2 scents helps!
The phones work well, but only vibrate, so you have to keep the phone close.

Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for. I want to be start off slowly or "baby steps" like you had said. She is finally allowed to play on our driveway with her basketball hoop without me there and was just allowed this year to ride her bike 5 minutes to school as long as she is with friends. I just wanted to know the best way of knowing where she was while going from point A to point B with her friend. She would never be by herself. Simply, did people feel ok with letting a couple of kids go from the lab to a movie by themselves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
Agreed. I also have a 19 year old in college and I worry about her far more than my 7 year old.

OP, I don't think anyone is judging you. Just wanted to put that out there because it's such a touchy subject. And I know you didn't ask about whether or not it's right to let them roam the ship. You just wanted to know how to keep in touch should you decide to let them. I think most of us, at least myself anyway, are making comments in light of what just came out on the news regarding the Dream. I know I was just posting for awareness.

I've googled cruise ship crimes and there are so many pages The one that freaks me out the most is the 16 year old getting raped in her stateroom from the steward who had a key. I mean....I wouldn't have thought twice about letting a 16 year old be alone I'm our room.

You would expect a cruise ship would be safe thinking where could they run off to? You would certainly expect Disney to be safe and family oriented. But really, I doubt they even do background checks on the employees. How can they when most of them are from outside the US. What better place for sickos to work because it's likely so easy to get away with it.

Things can happen anywhere, and I tend to border on overly cautious. But I think cruise ships are a place to be extra careful.

Thanks for that. I too would be worried if she was by herself, and would actually never let her go off by herself. But, as I had put in my original post, it would be her and her friend (who is turning 10 on the ship) together, never apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
Well I'm almost 50 and my Mom still worries about me

We let my DD check herself out of the kid's club when she was 9 and we were in Palo. At the time there weren't any wave phones but we brought walkie talkies with us instead. She was instructed on this particular occasion that if she wanted to leave that she had to let the CM know to beep us (they had beepers then) and she could only go straight to our cabin and contact us on the walkie talkie to let us know when she got there. She had to stay in the cabin until we returned from Palo (with strict instructions to stay out of the way of the stateroom host if she happened to interrupt her).

This was our second cruise and we made sure she knew the way from the clubs to our cabin and that she was not allowed to go into anyone else's cabin or let anyone into our cabin.

So yes, not a hundred percent perfect safety, but pretty controlled. On later cruises, as she got older, we made sure we knew where she and her older brother were by stickie notes and a white board in the cabin... but most of the time they were with us.

Not a fan of the pools on DCL so I agree I would not let them swim without one of us there. A few rides on the aquaduck while we were at the pool was fine as long as they came back to us when they were done and didn't go anywhere else on the ship (except restroom).

When you set up the guidelines ahead of time you can let a relatively mature and trustworthy nine year old go to certain spots for short periods of time without you.

It totally depends on the kid and the comfort level of the parent. You can drive yourself crazy with "what ifs.."
The bottom line is your kids need to learn how to be self sufficient in gradual steps so that when they do go off on their own they are capable of navigating the world without you...I'm not saying giving a nine year old freedom to roam the ship on their own for as long as they want...but small amounts of freedom, with specific guidelines, for kids that have proven themselves trustworthy is not a bad idea...

I like the idea of the pouches for the girls to hold the wavephones and shorts with deep pockets for the boys And regular checking in for the teens as well, and reasonable curfews and guidelines...a lot depends on the individual kid

I am going to make sure that my kids know about the recent incident on the Dream and are prepared to make a scene if needed to keep a predator away.

I know my kids roll their eyes when I start to recite my list of rules for on the ship, but they do benefit from reminders and if nothing else it makes me feel better ...
I agree with not letting them go to the pool on their own. It's too crammed with kids. The idea about a little backpack for the wave phones is great! Just wonder about the cubbies at the Aqua Duck, if someone would steal the phone. They would definitely have a long list of rules and wouldn't be out of sight for very long. As long as they are together, I think it's ok to loosen the rope a bit. They will not be wandering around by themselves at night.

3/31/11 - 4/1/11 POR
4/2/11 - 4/9/11 DCL Western

Topscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #30
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post

Wow. Words escape me.
I am in the same boat. I would hate to think I could not trust my child to know how to handle themselves. I have spent my sons life teaching him how to handle himself in public. Now that he is 16 I know he can do without me I he had to.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: