Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Topscot
Mouseketeer

Allowing DD (10) and friend (9) to roam ship?

I am wondering how others have handled keeping in contact with their kids while onboard. If we allow our child to sign herself out of the Kids club, to go to, say, the pool, how would we keep track of where she is? She would not have the wave phone with her on the Aqua Duck so how do we keep in contact? This would be the first time letting her have this much freedom so I need a little help on the logistics here. Thanks!

3/31/11 - 4/1/11 POR
4/2/11 - 4/9/11 DCL Western

Topscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
khmz
Earning My Ears

My DD was the same age as yours the last cruise. We were on the Wonder and it was the fist time I allowed her to move between the club and the lab. If I went to one area, they could tell me where she was in the computer system.

For other things like the pool, I will say I usually went and checked her out. She made some great friends on the cruise (still pen pals) and on occasion we would schedule the times they changed activities together. In the Navigator we could identify what activities they wanted to do in the lab and then plan on them leaving at a specific time afterwards. That way, the group knew where to find them.
khmz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
DeniseMarie526
Whenever you pack your bags, never forget the pixie dust!

My son will be 12 when we cruise and I expect I will allow him free roam with the exception of swimming. I will take him to the pool early before the crowd or monitor him at night. Have heard too many bad things about the pool crowds. It wouldn't be good worrying while trying to relax.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:18 AM   #4
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topscot View Post
I am wondering how others have handled keeping in contact with their kids while onboard. If we allow our child to sign herself out of the Kids club, to go to, say, the pool, how would we keep track of where she is? She would not have the wave phone with her on the Aqua Duck so how do we keep in contact? This would be the first time letting her have this much freedom so I need a little help on the logistics here. Thanks!
I wouldn't let a 10 and 9 year old swim on their own. There isn't a life guard on duty and the kids pools tend to always be super crowded.

Wave phones are really the only way to communicate with each other. If say she is going to the aqua duck remind her she must text you when she is putting the phone in the cubby and she is to include the posted wait time and then call or text as soon as she is done. Tell her each time she rides she must text again. Besides that the phone should be close to her.

Just remember if you wouldn't let your child roam alone in say Wal-Mart or even WDW what makes you feel DCL is any safer? Anything could happen do to another passenger or even crew. I don't want this to sound rude so just throwing out that is not my intention. My intention is to get you thinking about what makes DCL safe enough to let a 9 an 10 year old roam what is basically a floating city. Like others have said lab to club gives them freedom to move around but on the boat alone needs some serious consideration.

Last edited by wilkeliza; 05-26-2013 at 02:29 AM.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #5
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topscot View Post
I would never let a 9&10 year old "roam" the ship or go to the pool on their own. We started cruising DCL when our daughter was 6 and have completed 21 cruises and she is now 18 yo. She did not "roam " the ship until 14yo and had a curfew at that point.
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:58 AM   #6
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

I made my DD check in with me at specific times. She didn't like the Vibe when we went in 2011.(age 11) She wanted to do her own thing and hung around with fellow Disers most of the cruise. I purchased a few walkie talkies a few years back for the ship and never used them.
The only problem was that it cuts into adult time (if you know what I mean) Other than that she had no problems around the ship. Most of the time she would end up coming back to the room before her curfew times. I also made the rule she was not to go into anyone cabin or go with anyone but her DD and I. Bad things can happen anywhere but we didn't have any issues.
She would constantly leave the Wave phone in the cabin. We found it useless.

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post

I would never let a 9&10 year old "roam" the ship or go to the pool on their own. We started cruising DCL when our daughter was 6 and have completed 21 cruises and she is now 18 yo. She did not "roam " the ship until 14yo and had a curfew at that point.
I totally agree. I think it's dangerous at that age and this thread makes me cringe. Cruise ships really do create a false sense of security. Do a search for cruise shop crimes and it's pretty scary.

Anyway OP, to answer your question, you'd have to use the wave phones.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 05-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
I totally agree. I think it's dangerous at that age and this thread makes me cringe. Cruise ships really do create a false sense of security. Do a search for cruise shop crimes and it's pretty scary.

Anyway OP, to answer your question, you'd have to use the wave phones.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Disney cruise ships especially. In light of the recent molestation on the Dream accusations, this thread really makes me cringe. Not sure if the mother of the 9 year old is cruising, but if not and I was the mother, I'd sure want to know that my child will be running around the ship unsupervised.

Wave phones are fine for most of the time but I'd make sure to know when your child is on the move from one place to another. Hopefully your child will remember to call you.
1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Fantasy - February 2015
Upcoming Cruise: Disney Wonder - February 2016
KashasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
momof2minnies
DIS Veteran

Red face

My 2 DD are 19 and 21 and I hate it when they roam alone-like someone said it is a city and there has been plenty of info regarding crimes on cruise ships.

No way!

Linda
2000 OKW First trip with the kids,2001 OKW First time for my parents,2002 Marriott Grande Vista/OKW,2003 MGV,2004 OKW,2005 March Disney cruise/SSR, July-MGV, 2007 CSR, 2008 Clearwater-day trip, Marathon 2009 OKW,Nov. 2009 CSR then the Magic,Marathon 2010 OKW,June 2010 AKL,Marathon 2011 OKW, Anniversary 2011 POFQ,Disney Dream+BC 2012,Disney Fantasy 2013,Anniversary 2013 POR, Jan 2014 OKW

4/08 First half marathon- Oleksak lumber- Ma., 2:23:35
10/08 Second half marathon-Applefest-Hollis,NH.,2:17:05
01/09 First full marathon- Disney-5:39:24
01/10 5K and Half marathon- with my brother- Disney-2:43:42
01/11 5k and Half marathon-Disney- 2:11:46
4/12 5k Castaway Cay on the Dream with Arynn
momof2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

My children were 9 and 11 on our recent cruise. I agree with PP on here. I didn't let my 11 year old sign herself out of the club/lab and I didn't let her walk around alone. I am very uncomfortable with the idea of a 9 and 10 year old roaming the ship. If you do decide to allow them, however, I would think the wave phones would be your only way to keep in touch. You can send messages on them so you could use it like a text. Have her text you before she leaves, when she gets there, etc. I will say we never quite got the hang of the wave phones. They are a bit spotty.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

I first thought I would let my 10 and 8 year old have sign in and out privileges if they were together and if they wanted to do the Detective game but after much thought, I'm not going to let them wander without me. I wouldn't let them wander alone at a resort, so I have to remind myself that DCL is no different.

I'm reminded of when my 16 year old DS (at the time) and I took a Carnival cruise just the 2 of us. He met 2 friends that sat at our table (year older and year younger). Well, one night at 11 pm I still hadn't seen him or heard from him since dinner and I was a nervous wreck! I went looking for him in my pajamas!! I know.....not good! Well luckily I didn't find him and saved us both the embarrassment and he returned to the cabin at midnight. I was crazy with worry...and he was 16!!

So I cannot imagine if I couldn't find my 10 and 8 year old when all they were doing was having fun. NO WAY! I value them and I value my SANITY!

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Would you let them roam a resort, mall, amusement park, etc. alone at that age? The ship is a public place like any other. I would look at it that way.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
omalley1118
DIS Veteran

My kids will be 11 and 9 on our upcoming cruise. I personally would not be comfortable with this. We sign them in and give them an estimate of when we wil be back, knowing that they can have a CM contact us if they want to leave. We plan to do things together, such as the pool or movies. Last time, they wanted to stay in the clubs more than we expected. Who knows as that was two years ago... I would NEVER trust the pool!!! It is way too crowded and unsupervised for safety. In the end, you have to do what you are comfortable with personally...
Old 05-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
Belleluvswdw
Mouseketeer

My DD is 14 and DS is 13. I did not allow sign out privilages until they were 12. And they still have restrictions and curfews. I have a magnetic white board on the back of the stateroom door. If they leave a club, they are immediately to go to the stateroom and update where they are headed to. Anytime that their location changes, that is the deal. There are also consequences if we check the location and don't find them...
And no swimming alone. Both have taken swim lessons at the Y and are strong swimmers, but it is the crowds and other rambunctious kids I worry about.

Walkies and wave phones are good sometimes, but not always practical. The white boards have served us well. We also use them to update or locations so the kids can find us if they need us.
Belleluvswdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #15
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2minnies View Post
My 2 DD are 19 and 21 and I hate it when they roam alone-like someone said it is a city and there has been plenty of info regarding crimes on cruise ships.

No way!

Linda
Wow really!!! Even though they are old enough to drive, fight a war get married or have kids of their own.

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: