Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #871
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Considering that X number of Fantasmic! FP positions would have already been distributed over the 60 days prior for FP+,

at what time would all of the "day-of" Fantasmic! FP's be given out for the day at DHS ?

-Show your work.

(This test will count as 50% of your semester grade.)
I'd say at 9AM then onwards would be fair

My reaction to prebooking Counter Service: HELL NO. Guess Disney are trying to help my diet and my wallet though Yet another reason for us to skip a meal during the day as we stay offsite and can eat at the cheap and lovely place near our hotel where we don't need a reservation to get fast service. (Ironic...) I see a lot of angry people wandering in (they are a lot more 'open' in appearance and style of service than the upscale places after all) and seeing people go ahead of them. NOT good PR imo, people are far more forgiving of an upscale resteraunt or even a ride requiring reservations, but a fast food style place? I doubt people will understand the need to book reservations to get decent service at something that resembles a themed mcdonalds. Is it really true this is happening?

I still have a a basic but huge issue with Disney on this that other posters share it seems.

They spent a billion dollars. On THIS. I almost can't believe that, both in the sense it seems inflated in terms of amount and that they could have spent it on something that would have been both functional (and therefore also attractive) and showy to get the people through the doors.

Pick the more attractive proposition:

A) Schedule your rides in advance! (One fastpass per ride per day. Availability may vary. Total fastpass bookings limited to three per person per day in advance. Terms and conditions apply.)
OR
B) HARRY POTTER LAND! Included in admission!

Seriously Disney? You thought THIS would get the kids attention and lure them in better than a showy new attraction? This is something that would attract a manager or planning parent, but what kid is going to say "Mom I don't want to go offsite to universal because I like to schedule my rides daily!" One day of a family figuring out they would only have missed a few fastpasses for NO penalty whatsoever ("So... I don't get charged for cancelling? Sweet!"), and they'd be on the way to universal for the day (or two with the new attraction coming up!)

I am disappointed. Not really angry, or really upset, I could theoretically work around this without too much effort, just means waiting longer in line. (So long as standby wasn't TOO long, say up to an hour.) If same day fastpasses are available, and the system is available to offsite to the same degree as onsite (I still firmly believe both will happen) then all the better, we will get a few scraps of fastpasses. Yay.

But mostly, I just think we could have gotten something a lot better. Not just better for ME. Better for us all. Irritating.

Also, could someone explain to me how this system will make people buy longer tickets in the first place? Because, when people make the decision to go to universal they usually decide to get a shorter Disney ticket, right? Why pay for days you aren't using?

I don't see people saying "Oh, a few passes to rides that will get us through fast. Sweet! Let's get a 7 day ticket instead of a 6 and not go to universal!"

I see people saying "Oh, a few passes to rides that will get us through fast. Sweet! Now, how much is a 6 day ticket... *click* done. Now let's get the universal tickets..."

I feel like I'm going over old ground. But I don't see it as a big hook. Disney should have analysed WHY people were going to Universal instead of Disney for that day, and tackled THOSE reasons. I doubt the answer was "Their shorter lines."
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown

Last edited by Squidgyness; 05-25-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #872
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'll mention something that has also just been barely hinted at in this discussion.

If Disney wished to entice new customers to come to their parks over those of the competition,
and was willing to "invest" some dollars to that end...

Why wouldn't they just LOWER THE COST of one and two-day tickets?

If the idea that bringing more guests into the park to spend bucks while there was paramount,
be competitive in a way that would confound the competition.

Be cheaper to enter.

(Ah, but that would make the parks more crowded.)
And the flip side to that...would be jacking the admission prices up at peak times to lower attendance even further while still not losing revenue. Is that next?
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #873
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Again, generally unknowing neophytes will be the primary "beneficiaries" of these "plus" enhancements.
Oh I agree with you-but why does Rileygirl think "It really diminishes a possible silver lining we could dig up out of the system." unless she is an "unknowing neophyte".
Old 05-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #874
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post
Again-why would you waste a FP on Illuminations when you can stand anywhere and esp have the wind at your back to blow the smoke away from the fireworks so they are clear?

And do you currently walk down the by the pond at Mk to watch Wishes?

As for the ipad-they can have a printer for your itinerary or take a pic with your cell or camera.
What else are you going to use your FP+ benefit for once Soarin and Test Track are gone? They can't "sell" something if they have no inventory.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #875
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Disney lower a price for something? Wouldn't that somehow affect time and space and all of that?

Seriously, I'm trying to see this from the perspective of the first time traveler or more casual visitor. I don't see how this will be much of an advantage for them. Even if they learn about FP+ before visiting and even understand it somewhat how will being awarded lame attractions be a good thing? They might not know going in that the attraction isn't all that but they will certainly know afterwards.

Also, I agree that I can't see kids deciding that they don't want to go to Universal or SeaWorld because of the new FP+ program. I like other themeparks and it certainly doesn't dissuade me and I'm no kid! Disney must not have that group in mind right now.

I do have a question. What is this bit about FP+ for CS? Where has that been seen and if it's true, WHY?!
Old 05-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #876
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Disney lower a price for something? Wouldn't that somehow affect time and space and all of that?

Seriously, I'm trying to see this from the perspective of the first time traveler or more casual visitor. I don't see how this will be much of an advantage for them. Even if they learn about FP+ before visiting and even understand it somewhat how will being awarded lame attractions be a good thing? They might not know going in that the attraction isn't all that but they will certainly know afterwards.

Also, I agree that I can't see kids deciding that they don't want to go to Universal or SeaWorld because of the new FP+ program. I like other themeparks and it certainly doesn't dissuade me and I'm no kid! Disney must not have that group in mind right now.

I do have a question. What is this bit about FP+ for CS? Where had that been seen and if it's true WHY?!

RE: CS pre-booking, I know. I haven't seen anything. It barely seems credible its so risky, but I'm not ruling anything out at the minute.

Seriously, I can't rule out spending less time at WDW next year or even not going if they haven't got it up and running for a few months. No matter what the final result before I seem like I'm loving these predictions of doom. I wouldn't go if they had only just tried to implement it fully a couple months before, too risky imo. And that would really bum me out. Either wait till 2015 or get your butts in gear Disney!

My inner 9 year old is saying "Couldn't they have paused it for a year or two?" "No, darling." "But whyyyyyy?"

Other Trips :

Old 05-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #877
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post
Oh I agree with you-but why does Rileygirl think "It really diminishes a possible silver lining we could dig up out of the system." unless she is an "unknowing neophyte".
If many replies are dismissed as merely being "what's in it for me," there can be little discussion.

I contend that the FP fixes need to be satisfactory, at least in some ways, to EVERYBODY.

If it was just a zero-sum deal, everyone who showed up to take a FP must first offer to give his FP to a newbie.
As, it appears, only newbies are important.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #878
Planogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
RE: CS pre-booking, I know. I haven't seen anything. It barely seems credible its so risky, but I'm not ruling anything out at the minute.

Seriously, I can't rule out spending less time at WDW next year or even not going if they haven't got it up and running for a few months. No matter what the final result is before I seem like I'm loving these predictions of doom. And that would really bum me out. Either wait till 2015 or get your butts in gear Disney!

My inner 9 year old is saying "Couldn't they have paused it for a year or two?" "No, darling." "But whyyyyyy?"
Luckily it's mostly conjecture right now. It just looks so...ugly so far.

I wish that Disney would be more forthcoming with details. I'd like to start loosely planning a trip for next Spring but I'm pretty gunshy right now.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #879
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

edited to delete.

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #880
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

edited to delete

Last edited by Rileygirl; 06-10-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #881
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Luckily it's mostly conjecture right now. It just looks so...ugly so far.

I wish that Disney would be more forthcoming with details. I'd like to start loosely planning a trip for next Spring but I'm pretty gunshy right now.
Planning one for June next year. First trip since 09 (which was kind of a disaster in itself but I digress again) and probably our last as a family.

Do NOT want it interrupted by technical glitches. A dysfunctional family moment can't be helped, but I will not be pleased if the system either

A) screws me over (yeah yeah selfish I know
OR
B) Helps me (or just doesn't hinder me) but goes down and causes chaos.

I really can forsee the headline "Disney sufferes cyber attack!" or "Disney apologises to customers for IT failure" and I'd bet on the second one. With actual money. In my minds eye i'm picturing one of the IT guys getting strangled by a PR guru.

---------------

Riley, I think the majority of people who want to go to universal are already swayed before they get around to buying tickets. I doubt Disney will be able to shake that hold with a few fastpasses. Don't get me wrong I think it will be neat if it works out, and people will be pleased at the promise of free rides (however worthy that promise turns out to be) but I can't see it changing their minds enough to forgo a day at Universal if they really wanted to.

It's very popular amongst UK guests. I have a harry potter key ring from there that I got off my mothers friend. The first thing they decided was... yup. They wanted to go to universal. I might ask my mother to see if fastpasses in advance would have changed her freinds mind. Just an example, but you can see how these people might be out of reach for Disney to persuade, at least with this idea. It just doesn't seem sparkly enough, weirdly.

Normally these ideas have the problem of being TOO superficial and sparkly without the underlying 'meat' but in this case I think it might be the opposite. It just doesn't seem all that attractive on the surface compared to HARRY POTTER!TM, even if people realise it will or it did help them, it doesn't seem enough to get them not go to universal. I just can't see this occuring anyway.

Other Trips :

Last edited by Squidgyness; 05-25-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #882
Planogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
squidgyness

Front loading tickets mostly takes care of the issue on how many days a person will select for disney.

Hmmm, it only costs me 5 more bucks to do 2 more days at disney, or 150 to do universal.

Of course, at some point, the new attractions at universal, and the lack of new attractions at Disney will overcome some peoples mindset regarding this. Perhaps even to the tune of - lets do universal and sea world instead.

It already has in some cases or so I've been told a few times.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #883
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

Was not BOG lunch counter service just recently 'trialed' on the fp option as a test?
Old 05-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #884
Planogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
In my minds eye i'm picturing one of the IT guys getting strangled by a PR guru.
Not likely since they've survived for this long.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #885
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

More to ponder.

Disney keeps historical files on everyone who has been an on-site guest.

I mean they retain EV-ERY - THING about the when, how and WHO of those coming a WDW resort on a trip or trips.
They have done this for years and years and years.
Why do they do that if they don't care about their returning guests?

Or, maybe, as of the commencement of FP+ ...

they don't.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: