Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #46
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

We did a land-cruise on the Island Princess in 2011 with our daughters, then 11 and 13. While there were not a lot of children around, they entertained themselves quite well putting puzzles together or playing board games in the card room. We've done Princess for the Panama Canal as well as Alaska. We were on the Disney Fantasy in summer 2012. The younger child loved the Edge, the older one didn't want to go to the teen club. We really like Princess -- the girls were fussed over by the staff and fellow passengers. We like Disney, too -- enjoy the shows and the ambience. Princess felt a lot less "busy."
texasgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #47
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

We just booked the Wonder to Alaska, for summer, 2014, so exciting. We looked at Princess, but with our 13 year old dd who just had a great time on The Fantasy, we decided to stick with Disney for now.
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #48
mncooldad
Earning My Ears

Thanks for making it difficult

Funny to see this thread. We did our first cruise on Disney Magic last month and are bitten by the cruise bug. So we are trying to make it happen again next spring break. While looking at pricing there is a Princess cruise that is $3000 less than the Disney cruise we were looking at for same number or days and similar but different stops. We love Disney, but is it worth that much extra cash? More importantly will my kids have that much less fun? And will Princess be that accepting of my kids just roaming the ship? With 5 of us and needing two rooms it adds up. Tough decision.
mncooldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #49
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncooldad View Post
Funny to see this thread. We did our first cruise on Disney Magic last month and are bitten by the cruise bug. So we are trying to make it happen again next spring break. While looking at pricing there is a Princess cruise that is $3000 less than the Disney cruise we were looking at for same number or days and similar but different stops. We love Disney, but is it worth that much extra cash? More importantly will my kids have that much less fun? And will Princess be that accepting of my kids just roaming the ship? With 5 of us and needing two rooms it adds up. Tough decision.
I think you should consider the costs, I know I did. When you did The Magic last month, did you do a future cruise booking for the 10% savings and OBC?

For us, that savings alone is what makes our Wonder Alaska cruise comparable to others. I did compare same type of cabin and itinerary with RCCL, it was only about $400 cheaper, not enough to make me switch from Disney. I also looked at Princess and I believe they were about $800 more.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #50
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

OP here. I've appreciated reading everyone's thoughts and opinions. We are just back from another fantastic DCL cruise, this one to the Bahamas!

I'd like to go back to Alaska in either 2014 or 2015 and I am seriously considering trying Princess or HAL, though, for a few reasons: Lower cost, easy 4 hour drive for us to Seattle rather than driving 8+ hours to Vancouver (especially with the I-5 bridge out), we've done the shows and activities on the classics, many of them several times now and it would be interesting to see what other lines offer. I'd also like to see Glacier Bay.

My boss is currently on his first ever cruise - on HAL to Alaska. Can't wait until he gets back to hear his thoughts and opinions!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #51
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

You won't be disappointed in Princess. We are in our 50s with children 13 and 16. The girls loved Princess, enjoyed the other passengers and the staff. We never felt like we were on a cruise with "old people" although it was not as hustle and bustle as Disney. We flew to Fairbanks, then took a bus to Denali, a train to Talkeetna and another train to the ship. Three more stops along the coast and disembarked in Vancouver. It's a slower pace, lots of scenery.
Island Princess July 2011 - Alaska
Disney Fantasy June 2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2013 - Mediterranean

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
texasgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #52
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhdhd

Yes, indeed. That's why we get OBC for owning Carnival Corporation stock on both HAL and Princess.
So Carnival has Holland AND Princess? Two more reasons to stick with DCL...

I have heard that Celebrity is on par with DCL?
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #53
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
So Carnival has Holland AND Princess? Two more reasons to stick with DCL...

I have heard that Celebrity is on par with DCL?
Carnival also owns Cunard and Seabourne, among others. That's definitely NOT a reason for me to avoid a cruise on HAL or Princess, and I have a future cruise booking on each of them.

I have enjoyed 2 Celebrity cruises, and I'm looking forward to another in January. Many people who have sailed both DCL and Celebrity would say the food is better on Celebrity.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #54
becky_AK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post
OP here. I've appreciated reading everyone's thoughts and opinions. We are just back from another fantastic DCL cruise, this one to the Bahamas!

I'd like to go back to Alaska in either 2014 or 2015 and I am seriously considering trying Princess or HAL, though, for a few reasons: Lower cost, easy 4 hour drive for us to Seattle rather than driving 8+ hours to Vancouver (especially with the I-5 bridge out), we've done the shows and activities on the classics, many of them several times now and it would be interesting to see what other lines offer. I'd also like to see Glacier Bay.

My boss is currently on his first ever cruise - on HAL to Alaska. Can't wait until he gets back to hear his thoughts and opinions!
I'm not trying to hijack your post, but Glacier Bay, or rather the town of Guatavus is my home. LMK if you have any questions about the area.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: