Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #271
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACFl View Post
I'm not discounting anyone's story, but we have lots of insects in Florida that fly, and right now it's love bug season. Disney usually does a great job with pest control and cleanliness, but you might encounter horse flies once in a while at Ft Wilderness, and mosquitoes are common in the summer with our rain even though Disney sprays regularly to control them. I have been in the parks almost every weekend for the past two months and haven't seen flies. I recommend wearing Off! Or another repellent if you're out at night during the summer here.
We are locals as well who go weekly (usually on Tues or Wednesday). I can attest to people saying these are FLIES, not love bugs. These were honest-to-goodness FLIES (small house fly). They were really bad by Casey's as well as by Buzz. Our stroller was literally swarmed with them. It was disgusting to try and shoo away hundreds of flies from our stroller. Even the CMs were saying stuff to us and apologizing for them.

To be honest, it is kind of rude to "not discount" someone stories, but certainly imply that people are wrong in what they are seeing and dealing with. Just because you weren't there/or didn't see them, doesn't mean that everyone who had to deal with them were incorrect.
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #272
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

We are here and have been since 5/20 and have not had any sight of the problem flies. So weird how different everyone's experience is with them. But have had no issues with flies around.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #273
NACFl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck View Post

We are locals as well who go weekly (usually on Tues or Wednesday). I can attest to people saying these are FLIES, not love bugs. These were honest-to-goodness FLIES (small house fly). They were really bad by Casey's as well as by Buzz. Our stroller was literally swarmed with them. It was disgusting to try and shoo away hundreds of flies from our stroller. Even the CMs were saying stuff to us and apologizing for them.

To be honest, it is kind of rude to "not discount" someone stories, but certainly imply that people are wrong in what they are seeing and dealing with. Just because you weren't there/or didn't see them, doesn't mean that everyone who had to deal with them were incorrect.
My intent was not to be rude, but to inform. Bug repellent and sun screen are outdoor necessities that some people who are from out of state may not understand this time of year. We have lots if kinds of bugs. I was on a tram with people who were freaking out and calling love bugs flies
and worried they were going to be bitten by them. If there is a fly issue in various areas of the parks, I am sure Disney is doing what they can to combat the issue. Please don't perceive a slight where none was intended.
NACFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #274
triff411
Earning My Ears

We got eaten alive by flies after dark in the magic kingdom. They were the most painful bites ever!
triff411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #275
Dsnygrl1205
DIS Veteran

We were there from the 12th to the 16th and noticed the fly problem too. There were a few Love Bugs around but mostly what looked like smaller house flies.

Someone in line with us at Enchanted Tales with Belle commented that it was hatching season for flies and that by the end of the week it wouldn't be as bad.

I don't know if he was correct but it seems like the problem didn't last too long if nobody is seeing them now...
1983 Fort Wilderness Cabins, 2002 ASMo, 2003 ASMu, 2006 ASMo, 2007 ASSp, 2008 POFQ, 2009 ASSp, CSR & Pop, 2010 AKL, ASMo & Pop, 2011 AKL & Poly, 2012 POR, AKL & ASSp, 2013 Contemporary & BWI, 2014 POFQ, & BC
Dsnygrl1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #276
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
What does a fly bite look like? My DBF and I stayed at AKL a little over a week ago and he had a raised spot with what looked like bruising around it. He said it didn't hurt or itch and we had no clue where it came from. Never got any bigger and is slowly going away.
Yes, that is how my DD looks. She has an allergic reaction and it becomes swollen and has a large red bruised look about it. After 2 weeks hers is finally going away. Mine swell, then it starts to drain, and does this for days. I've encountered it on many trips and generally head to first aid when the swelling begins and they give me an ice pack, plus a gel for the itching.

As for the fly problem mentioned, they certainly were the regular "house fly" variety. They were not love bugs. We were in WDW from April 30-May 18 and yes the love bugs were there too. They are not a problem except the front of our car after driving to and from Vero Beach. I still think it's related to the large amount of rain we had late april and the first week of may. It rained for the first 5 days we arrived and never let up. I'm glad to hear that it's gotten better. I hate flys landing near my food and we encountered that inside and outside dining.

2015 TRIPS-Under Construction
April 29 - May 16 @ BCV
Sept 11-12@ BLT; ? + Cruise
Oct 25 - Nov 7 @ ?

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #277
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

Going in 2 weeks... Hope they are gone! Just bought some repellent wipes that say they are for biting flies! Hope i don't need them because i swell up from mosquito bites and i have a feeling fly bites will be worse!!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #278
Erinmc3
Mouseketeer

Just returned yesterday and honestly saw very, very few flies. Saw the lovebugs but that was earlier in the week.

Next Disney vacation: Hoping for Oct/Nov 2015

Family vacation at POP May 17th-25th 2013
First family vacation at POP Sept 16th-24th 2011
Off property: 2005, 1986, 1979(ish)
Erinmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #279
tinkerbell1984
Mouseketeer

We were at the parks 5/19 - 5/24 and saw a few flies... Just a few...If it weren't for this thread I probably would have thought nothing of it. We even ate at P.Bills and didn't have an issue.
tinkerbell1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #280
Jacie
Disney Obsessed!

We were at the parks from 5/16-5/20 and didn't see any extravagant amount of flies, just a few here and there. Must have just been an influx from the few rainy days that they had a couple of weeks ago. I was paranoid after reading this thread, but DH and I joked all weekend that we were still looking for the flies.
2011- May- Star Wars Weekends- Just Daddy and Mommy! First WDW trip for Mommy!
2011- November- All Star Movies- First WDW trip for the kids, first resort stay!
2012- October- Flying back to the West Coast to go to Disneyland! Can't wait to be back to my home park!
2013- May- Star Wars Weekends- Just Daddy and Mommy again!
2013- September- Family trip back to WDW for MNSSHP! Staying in the LM area at AoA!

Jacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #281
genmasjoy
Mouseketeer

We were at Epcot and DHS last weekend and there were definitely flies, but not an overwhelming or swarming amount. I probably wouldn't have noticed except I had read this thread before our trip. Got lovebugs on the windshield on the way back to South Florida too.
genmasjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #282
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

Any updates on the fly situation???
Old 05-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #283
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryalluvdiz View Post
Any updates on the fly situation???
gone but not forgotten...till the next thing comes along...had them at our place too gone
Old 05-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #284
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

Glad to hear they are gone... Will be there in 2 weeks!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #285
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryalluvdiz View Post
Glad to hear they are gone... Will be there in 2 weeks!
could be the dreaded FL State bird by then.....Mosquitos.... just kidding enjoy your trip WDW does an EXCELLENT job at killing those suckers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: