Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #811
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
You walk up to the cm, he/she scans your magicband, and up pops options. The cm personally recommends choices for the day and schedules the FP. Sounds like great customer service.
I hope those ipads have printers. Because a lot of the people who don't have smartphones are the ones needing the CMs in the parks to begin with. And my first question would be "Can you write those down for me?"
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #812
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:

It has been said a hundred times or more, but what still steams me is the idea of Disney declining to engage in a theme park Arms race with Universal. I think everyone was expecting Disney to Roar back after Harry Potter, and get back into the innovation game. Crank up the Imagineering team. Spend 1.5 billion on new rides, new lands, and update in the parks.

But instead we get magicbands. We get to push a button on BTMRR to blow up something, we get our name to show up on its a small world, a talking sea gull, and the opportunity to spend more time buying things in stores with our bracelets.

We get cardboard cutouts in enchanted tales and a little mermaid ride with ancient technology and no water.

All the while an even better Harry Potter addition is being added across town, and Antarctica opened yesterday.

That is my problem with it all. I am trying to find the silver lining in the fastpass+ cloud, but I am not seeing it. And I have spent a lot of time looking for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post

And a lot of teens have younger siblings. If the family is looking for something that makes everyone happy, Universal just might start looking better and better.

Compare the teen's experience staying onsite with FOTL at Universal with doing Disney under the new FP+ system with headline ride rationing. It's almost comical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
d1gitman:

I have totally wondered this myself. I wondered why, if this system is suppose to be almost ready to roll out, WHY there are no KIOSKS at the theme parks to do the data management.
And How can Disney expect people to all have smart phones now, or want to use them and their data bill now. And how this is impossible for international users because phone bills would be astronomical!
And how the free wifi in the parks is totally useless when the park gets busy, how does disney expect this system to work at all?
It seems crazy.
There is something missing! What are we missing?
I agree! Unless we are missing something here, that large amount of money could have been put to much better use.

I wonder what the public's response was back a few yrs ago when they did all the surveys about scheduling rides, parade spots, etc. I took it and said no way! Apparently enough people must have responded positively that they went ahead with the idea anyway. Otherwise, they just decided to gamble on the fact that they can make people like it b/c it is Disney.

I wish they'd hurry up so we can see what happens!
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC, 11/15 YC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #813
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I hope those ipads have printers. Because a lot of the people who don't have smartphones are the ones needing the CMs in the parks to begin with. And my first question would be "Can you write those down for me?"
The cm can carry a bucket of those little pencils and cards like they use at mini golf!
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #814
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:

The cm can carry a bucket of those little pencils and cards like they use at mini golf!
Lol!
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC, 11/15 YC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #815
Combos
WDW Lodging Resident

Quote:
That is why there will be an infrastructure of kiosks that will allow Guests to modify/view their FP information. There are already kiosks/booths where a Guest can ask CM's questions.
Combos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #816
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK, I'm glad I'm the only one home. That did make me laugh right out loud!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #817
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combos View Post
That is why there will be an infrastructure of kiosks that will allow Guests to modify/view their FP information. There are already kiosks/booths where a Guest can ask CM's questions.
The idea of having CMs blanket the parks with ipads was in response to the issue of Disney maybe not having enough kiosks. I had said I was surprised we haven't seen more of them appearing yet. I think it will take a LOT to meet the need. Granted, a lot of folks will have smartphones and never need a kiosk, but the lines will move FAR slower than the old FP lines. Do you want to be in line behind a 10 member group all trying to agree on what time to schedule something?
Old 05-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #818
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Just take a picture of the CM's IPAD.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #819
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post
Just take a picture of the CM's IPAD.
Oh, so now I need a digital camera?!?
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #820
Combos
WDW Lodging Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Oh, so now I need a digital camera?!?
nope, you need a napkin and a sharpie, both of which a CM could provide. Oh, and those pesky waste bins that appear all around the parks.

Quote:
something about golf accessories
in early round testing the help centres, the CMs did have small cards and they provided the Guest with a reminder if he/she didn't print out the FP "reservations"
Old 05-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #821
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

I'm still inclined to wait and see what Disney does. Here are a few of my thoughts/hopes/wishes:
  • 3 FP's are fine at Epcot, DHS & DAK, but totally unacceptable for MK
  • Not having day of FP available is a deal breaker for me. Disney needs to make this happen.
  • Kiosks should be readily available for day of FP and changes ... and they must be fast and user intuitive;
  • Repeat day of FP should be available for those who like to repeatedly ride rides. It's a touring style that must be accommodated for Disney to succeed with repeat guests and teens (small kids on Dumbo and Small World too!)
  • Show choices are great for families and will be a great option (including parades and fireworks)
  • Wifi needs to work. I think they should limit access to My Disney Experience and possibly Facebook or Twitter to ensure proper bandwidth.

I can't believe Disney would throw away the goodwill they have with repeat guests including AP holders and DVC members. I think the delays are a good sign that Disney is aware of the issues brought up here and other places.

I'm a planner so the concept is awesome to me, now Disney needs to make it work! I am also budget driven (I suspect a lot of us super planners are), so I'm not sure this will result in more spending by this touring segment -- however, I often leave with unspent money because I really dislike much of the trinkets Disney sells these days (I know, a different topic).

I've enjoyed all the thoughts and comments everyone!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #822
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combos View Post
nope, you need a napkin and a sharpie, both of which a CM could provide. Oh, and those pesky waste bins that appear all around the parks.
Napkins I can get a Pecos Bills, with the free toppings bar.

Sharpies I can get in the World Showcase...

Quote:
in early round testing the help centres, the CMs did have small cards and they provided the Guest with a reminder if he/she didn't print out the FP "reservations"
I'm now picturing them with those handheld printers attached at the belt like they have at the rental car returns...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #823
Combos
WDW Lodging Resident

• 3 FP's are fine at Epcot, DHS & DAK, but totally unacceptable for MK
  • Not having day of FP available is a deal breaker for me. Disney needs to make this happen. There's no official word, but I'm hoping it's FP availability is like other "events" where inventory is released at different times before and on the day of.
  • Kiosks should be readily available for day of FP and changes ... and they must be fast and user intuitive;
    Think "edit", "type of thing i wish to do", "list of things within that category".
  • Repeat day of FP should be available for those who like to repeatedly ride rides. It's a touring style that must be accommodated for Disney to succeed with repeat guests and teens (small kids on Dumbo and Small World too!) This would be difficult while still allowing all Guests a chance at the ride/event. This is largely a case where popularity actually hurts an attraction
  • Wifi needs to work. I think they should limit access to My Disney Experience and possibly Facebook or Twitter to ensure proper bandwidth. It's been improving since the initial roll out. I am sure Disney will want to avoid the troubles NYC has with phone calls dropping because of load.

I can't believe Disney would throw away the goodwill they have with repeat guests including AP holders and DVC members. I think the delays are a good sign that Disney is aware of the issues brought up here and other places.
I hope they don't. It would be a shame, and could really hurt loyalty.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #824
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Leaving the "technology" part of this for a moment...

I know that just about everything has been said before, but things get lost in long threads.

If we agree (just for the moment) that Disney will offer all guests holding tickets THREE FP+ Advanced Attraction Reservations.
But, these three FP's will be "tiered" so that only ONE FP can be for an "E-Ticket attraction...

That means that all of us will be limited to NOT THREE FP's, but ONE FP.
ONE. (I can simply NOT agree that holding a FP for Tiki Room or some such, or even holding a FP for dining at who-knows-what-time, is something to celebrate as a "premium.")

Does anyone think that holding ONE FP... that will come due during ONE park hour... is an IMPROVEMENT in guest enjoyment?

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #825
doggydoc
It's not a midlife crisis I'm just a car enthusiast.....honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug7856 View Post

I am right there with you on this one. I just can't convince myself Disney is willing to just say "too bad" to people who share this view unless 1) they have, IMHO, underestimated the size and passion of this group and/or 2) they really believed that we would so excited about prescheduling that we wouldn't care about the limitations.

I also am confounded why they didn't, as has been suggested earlier, simply convert the existing FP system to work with RFID and continue alongside FP+ as in the testing. That would be a system that would be truly exciting and a major improvement. It would allow late risers to get their TSMM or Soarin' FP and I wouldn't have to be denied FP's. This would also allow them to get the Magic Bands deployed and begin collecting data. Once they have collected and analyzed that data for a couple years THEN they could begin to build the "sidewalks" and really have a chance at crowd control and direction.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: