Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #466
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin

out of curiosity- did you get the name of the "they" who told you that? also-did you follow up?? not trying to be a wise guy, rather learn from your experience....
I only know the name of the CD. Honestly, I was in too much pain and too doped up to think to get their names, or a copy of anything except my onboard medical bill.
I think I may have thought that knowing that they were the"Heads of" those departments on that particular cruise was enough. They gave me a card with the name and phone number of the person to contact shore side ( who I did call) and I trusted them. I followed up later with letters and emails to our TA, to DCL Guest Services, and to the supposed address of the President of DCL.
Our TA got nowhere with her questions, I never heard back from the President's office and Guest Services sent a brief letter saying they were sorry, nothing they could do, but hoped to see me onboard again sometime.
justmestace is offline  
Old 05-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #467
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
I only know the name of the CD. Honestly, I was in too much pain and too doped up to think to get their names, or a copy of anything except my onboard medical bill.
I think I may have thought that knowing that they were the"Heads of" those departments on that particular cruise was enough. They gave me a card with the name and phone number of the person to contact shore side ( who I did call) and I trusted them. I followed up later with letters and emails to our TA, to DCL Guest Services, and to the supposed address of the President of DCL.
Our TA got nowhere with her questions, I never heard back from the President's office and Guest Services sent a brief letter saying they were sorry, nothing they could do, but hoped to see me onboard again sometime.
that's unbelievable....

if there's any silver lining to this its someone in Disney/DCL has surely stepped up and taken notice; whether its the initial story or threads like this (i firmly believe they have CM's checking dedicated Disney sites to see what's being posted)...
__________________
Zeppelin is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #468
rhorsley
Mouseketeer
 
rhorsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
that's unbelievable....

if there's any silver lining to this its someone in Disney/DCL has surely stepped up and taken notice; whether its the initial story or threads like this (i firmly believe they have CM's checking dedicated Disney sites to see what's being posted)...
What makes you think they stepped up or took notice? Did I miss a post?
__________________
rhorsley is offline  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #469
KashasMom
DIS Veteran
 
KashasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 592

It's disappointing that Disney has not responded as of now. I don't expect that they will.

What's really rattled me though is the realization that there is no way for DCL to be checking the people they're hiring to watch my child.
__________________
1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Fantasy - February 2015
Upcoming Cruise: Disney Wonder - February 2016
KashasMom is offline  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #470
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhorsley View Post
What makes you think they stepped up or took notice? Did I miss a post?
my assumption based on the fact this story has been out in the public for less than five days....never mind the fact if you read the early posts from this thread people/posters have called DCL with their concerns...
__________________
Zeppelin is offline  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #471
rhorsley
Mouseketeer
 
rhorsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
my assumption based on the fact this story has been out in the public for less than five days....never mind the fact if you read the early posts from this thread people/posters have called DCL with their concerns...
Ah...I hope so. I emailed 2 days ago and didn't even get the obligatory "thanks for contacting us" response
__________________
rhorsley is offline  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #472
Wadekind
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermam42 View Post
So the individual was interviewed by security at 7:00 so you would have 4000 peoples vactions including the gril who was assulted ruined return ship to PC. First you need to get facts in order, Security did excellent job. The ship had sailed by the time they had the employee ID.
As a US tax payer Thank You Disney. Think about what PC Police said he would serve 25 years in us jail. Thats a couple of million dollars.
The Facts are in order.
1.The incident was reported to DCL 2 hours before sail away. A 30sec. phone call was all the effort it would have taken.
2.Security delayed reporting this to the authorities who had jurisdiction at the time of the accusation. They didn't need an ID before calling the police. They had the victims statement.
3.It was for the local police detectives to investigate and determine if an arrest needed to be made. Not DCL.

I believe the girl who was molested had her vacation "ruined" as you say the moment the guy cornered her in the elevator.

And YES, ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A DOUBT I will take justice over yours or 10 million peoples delayed (not ruined) sail away party. DCL did not have to sail before this guy was ID'd. I think this is a callous viewpoint when we are more concerned with a bump in our vacation plans rather than the well being of a victim and getting a sexual predator off the ship ASAP.

You missed the part where they said he now has no criminal record now and it is possible he could go to work on another cruise line because he has experience. Guys like him don't quit and only get more bold and violent. I am willing to pay to incarcerate someone if it means he can't do this to anyone again. It may save someone I know.
Wadekind is offline  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #473
Wadekind
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattanman View Post
It might be that your beef is with nautical law, not disney. If the rules of the sea are that upon finding compelling evidence of illegality that the protocol is to detain the accused and turn him/her over to the cops at the next port of call, then they did what they were supposed to. That does not mean you have to like it, but it also might mean that disney is not at fault.

This happened right before departure. it it had happened half way to nassau no one would say peep, what disney did everyone would support.
What if it was a 1/4 of the way to nassau ? what if it was 1/8th, 1/16th, 1/32 ? I'm afraid that you are never going to get a consesnus at which point the captain has a moral obligation to turn the ship around and go back to port so I think this falls into a grey area. I also dont think that it is practical to ask the captain to drop anchor at every allegation of illegality that occurs on the ship.

I think that disney is in a hard spot here, and although it is easy to infer some sort of malice a lot of times people make decisions based on the information they had at the time that in retrospect they would probably not.

It would have been great had disney detained the accused in the brig, gotten back to pc and then let the florida cops have a go at him. but my understanding is that they cant hold him against his will once they get to another port, they either have to hand him off to the local cops there or let him go, they cant detain him indefinitely until they get back to florida. once he was off the ship and the bahamanian cops would not ( or could not) arrest or detain him, he's perfectly within his rights to fly back to india. The fact that disney payed for it looks bad but if its a contractual obligation, then its a contractual obligation.

i would imagine that disney will modify the employment contracts to absolve them of having to pay to return employees to go home in the event they are terminated for a variety of causes, independently of whether there are formal charges brought or not.
They weren't underway when the accusation was made. They sat on it for 2 hours before the ship sailed. There is no gray area here. DCL did not inform the local authorities who DID have jurisdiction while the ship was docked.
Wadekind is offline  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #474
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhorsley View Post
Ah...I hope so. I emailed 2 days ago and didn't even get the obligatory "thanks for contacting us" response
could be they are in damage control mode and blindsided as well...good job for emailing them....
__________________
Zeppelin is offline  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #475
GoofyTwinDad
Mouseketeer
 
GoofyTwinDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 284

Duplicate post
__________________
Me DW DD 7 DD7 DS 4
GoofyTwinDad is offline  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #476
GoofyTwinDad
Mouseketeer
 
GoofyTwinDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 284

IMHO, there is zero likelihood that a security officer had the power to make the decision of whether or not to contact the local authorities. I don't believe GS would contact only security about a child molestation without notifying the senior officers.

What would be the number one most damaging scenario that would affect the familial image that Disney wants to be known for.... A CM raping or sexually molesting a child. I think the captain knew about the incident from the very beginning and made a conscious decision to get out of PC prior to calling the local authorities. If it comes out that I am wrong in my belief, Disney will never see another dime from our family.

If you think Disney would not put pressure on the GM or offer restitution to keep quiet, your crazy. Disney will do anything possible to keep public perception to the highest degree possible. If they have to pay a few thousand to save millions in the long run, they would not blink twice about it.

I find it very difficult to believe that DCL does not have a clause in the contract that nullifies DCL's obligation to transport the CM if they commit a crime such as molesting a child. IMO, molesting a child would be a serious breach of contract, thus nullifying the requirement to fly the CM home. I think DCL needed the CM off the ship prior to returning to PC to elimate any chance that this event would be investigated and end up being made available to the public.

I'm not surprised that Disney is not responding to requests for clarification. It's difficult to pull your head outof the sand and see the light of thd day.
__________________
Me DW DD 7 DD7 DS 4
GoofyTwinDad is offline  
Old 05-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #477
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

I can speak to how quickly some of the senior officers reacted to my accident. It happened at about 1:45 embarkation day. Guest Services and the medical center were notified immediately.

BEFORE the lifeboat drill, I had already seen the Head of Housekeeping, Head of Security and the CD, in my stateroom. So what time is the lifeboat drill? 3:30? 4:00? So it was two hours max, by the time they heard about it and were either checking to see how I was doing, or beginning their damage control, depending on how you look at it.

And they came back every day.
justmestace is offline  
Old 05-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #478
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training
 
Plaid Princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
But it's the same in the Disney Parks.....no one dies at Disney.....they wait until a body is off property before declaring a death. God forbid Disney should get a bad reputation.
Ok... I told myself I wasn't going to comment on this thread... but this statement just infuriates me. It's untrue and unfair to the thousands of cast members who put the guests safety ahead of their own. I've been thrown up on, held collapsed, heat exhausted guests in my arms, done CPR, used AED's, been a mediator between the paramedics and a party that spoke another language. I've broken up fights, intervened in domestic disputes, and on one occasion put myself between a wife and her abusive husband.

One bad apple should not discredit the thousands of CM's who believe that the guests safety is their number one priority. Disney puts safety ahead of EVERYTHING. Even the courtesy of the CM's is secondary to the guest's safety. CM's are the reason you do feel safe and comfortable in a Disney environment.

The reason that guests are not pronounced dead in Disney Parks is because there are no doctors on scene to make such a pronouncement, the paramedics treat the patient as if they are alive and do everything in their power to keep it that way.
__________________
wan·der·lust [won-der-luhst] noun: a strong, innate desire to rove or travel about.

Plaid Princess is offline  
Old 05-25-2013, 03:06 AM   #479
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home
 
tinkerbell 766's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: English Lake District
Posts: 5,373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Princess View Post
Ok... I told myself I wasn't going to comment on this thread... but this statement just infuriates me. It's untrue and unfair to the thousands of cast members who put the guests safety ahead of their own. I've been thrown up on, held collapsed, heat exhausted guests in my arms, done CPR, used AED's, been a mediator between the paramedics and a party that spoke another language. I've broken up fights, intervened in domestic disputes, and on one occasion put myself between a wife and her abusive husband.

One bad apple should not discredit the thousands of CM's who believe that the guests safety is their number one priority. Disney puts safety ahead of EVERYTHING. Even the courtesy of the CM's is secondary to the guest's safety. CM's are the reason you do feel safe and comfortable in a Disney environment.
Well said!!!
The reason that guests are not pronounced dead in Disney Parks is because there are no doctors on scene to make such a pronouncement, the paramedics treat the patient as if they are alive and do everything in their power to keep it that way.
Well said!!!!
__________________
Our VR PJ/TR Swan/Mizners Lounge/Citricos/Top of the World Lounge 4th May 2011
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2513856

tinkerbell 766 is offline  
Old 05-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #480
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,659

Quote:
Call me cynical, but even if he was off the ship in the US, if the girl and g-ma didn't skip their vacation to stay and make the report, he would be sent back to India. If they did stay and make a report, most likely he would get a plea bargain and sent back to India after a few months in jail in the US.

you could be correct- but at least the guy would've had a record, likely as a sexual predator, which would be a huge scarlet letter around his neck in a lot of countries....
__________________


The Maritime cruise industry as big as it is, is a tight knit group and they keep in touch with each other more then you may think competitors would.

This guys name is on a list by now. A list all the cruise lines and the hiring companies have. Unless he can totally change his name, looks and background, it is highly unlikely he will ever get a job on a cruise ship again.


AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.